Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Torremolinos 1st time

Options
  • 17-04-2019 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody so me and the other half usually head to Lanzarote but we're thinking of a change this year would you recommend Torremolinos the flights are quite cheap and it looks nice what would you guys recommended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

Was there last September on a family holiday (I'm the youngest at 23!). We all loved it! It was actually our 2nd time there. The walk along the beach is lovely and there is almost too many bars and restaurants to choose from!

I'm not sure what you's like to do on holidays but there are plenty of trips to do. We took a boat trip to Fungerola to see the town for the day, there's also a big market there but it is a bit repetitive.

In Torremolinos itself there's a crocodile park which is about 10 mins in a taxi that we really enjoyed, not a fan of crocs myself but it was really interesting plus you see the ground keepers feeding them which I though was amazing.

Malaga itself is about 30 mins in a taxi and is a lovely city, but it's difficult to find the very centre of it as it's so big!

I'm going to Lanzarote myself this year for the 1st time, but plan to head back to Torremolinos the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hey usually we like a quite enough holiday laze by the beach / pool by day head out eat/drink by night Lanzarote is lovely we usually stay in matagorda and it's 5 mins cab journey to the centre of Puerto del carmen

Hey usually we like a quite enough holiday laze by the beach / pool by day head out eat/drink by night Lanzarote is lovely we usually stay in matagorda and it's 5 mins cab journey to the centre of Puerto del carmen

The beach is a lovely in Torremolinos. We stayed in Ecuador Park and it was about a minutes walk to the beach. It's a very relaxing area. Plenty of bars around that area also and the breakfast/dinners are spot on aswell.

Were staying in Puerto Del Carmen so it'll be interesting to see how I like it. Once there's sun, good food and cheap drink what more can you ask for!

Is it far from the main airport as our flight comes in late enough about 9/10

Is it far from the main airport as our flight comes in late enough about 9/10

It's only about 20 minutes in a taxi or private transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Stayed there last year, in what could best be described as the less popular part of Torremolinos. Stayed in Hotel Princesa Solar, a tourist hotel. Would stay again, despite the very immediate surroundings in need of rejuvenation. 10 minutes max walk to the beach, via a maze of charming streets with great selection of bars and restaurants. It's very close to Benalmadena, perhaps 20 minute walk along the beaches. Or turn left and hit the main part of Torremolinos. Did both, and each has its own attractions, ie views.

I put a pretty accurate and honest review of the hotel on TripAdvisor. Only had one problem, and that was standing in the street waiting for our transfer to the airport. Fortunately had phone with me, or it could have ended up scrambling for a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Metro to Malaga is worth a trip. Very cheap and central station a 10 minute stroll to the centre.(very walkable city just cross the river after coming out of central station)
    Metro from airport to where your staying if you want to cut down on cost over a taxi.

Other than that it's a resort so not very spanish as aimed at Irish/Brits in the sun. If you like to Sun bath and drink then your sorted.

Yeah done a bit of googling and people were recommending the train from the airport and taxying the rest of the way place were looking at is the hotel jazmine which is right on the beachfront, flights are ridiculously cheap at the moment so don't mind spending a little more to get a nice place to stay

Heard they're very good rooms in Hotel Los Jazmines, never looked into them too much.

An uncle stayed in the Bajondillo hotel and said they were very nice, they also have apartments. Hotel Barracuda is closer to Benalmadina but they have a lovely beach/sea view rooms.

Booked it there anyway , going in June looking forward to somewhere new , I love lanzarote don't get me wrong but the buzz of going on holiday was gone being honest because we know the place so well

Looking forward to seeing some new surroundings and hitting the aquapark and crocadile place :)

• Advertisement

Have a good one anyway it's a fantastic place!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I was there two years ago, its good craic, plenty of irish and english bars and food is mighty in them,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Underthehedge

There is a place called "the carvery" down near the harbor.

If you like a big feed its the place to go. You will probably have to pre book it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

that place does a good roast alright, there is an irsh bar aboit quarter of a mile walk from there and they do a mighty bacon and cabbage, we went back there 3 times for it, the best fry we found there was actually in an English place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Love it. Used to always go with my grandparents as a child.

Might go for a week in September. Yeah some great deals on flights.

The port in benalmadena is beautiful too.

I highly recommend the carvery restaurant also

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Went there for a week last year and really really did not like the place. I know I am in the minority here but I just found the whole place tacky and full of cheap Irish or English type bars.
    Had one good Spanish meal the whole week every where seemed pizza or chips and meat or irish/British type food.
    Stayed in Melia hotel on the beachfront and it was soulless.
    Train into Malaga was really close tho and the old quarter of Malaga is beautiful. Cathedral is gorgeous and lots of lovely restaurants and cafe bars in Malaga.
    For me the only positive of Torremolinos was it's proximity to Malaga

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

bertsmom wrote:
    Went there for a week last year and really really did not like the place. I know I am in the minority here but I just found the whole place tacky and full of cheap Irish or English type bars. Had one good Spanish meal the whole week every where seemed pizza or chips and meat or irish/British type food. Stayed in Melia hotel on the beachfront and it was soulless. Train into Malaga was really close tho and the old quarter of Malaga is beautiful. Cathedral is gorgeous and lots of lovely restaurants and cafe bars in Malaga. For me the only positive of Torremolinos was it's proximity to Malaga

Going this year and this exactly is my worry. Seeing previous posts here people praising Irish pubs and a fry makes me question why they leave the country. If I want to go to Irish pub, there is plenty around the corner and no flight is required. I'm traveling to experience something new...

Yourmama wrote: »
    Going this year and this exactly is my worry. Seeing previous posts here people praising Irish pubs and a fry makes me question why they leave the country. If I want to go to Irish pub, there is plenty around the corner and no flight is required. I'm traveling to experience something new...

On the sides streets off the prom and around the harbour of Benalmadina there's are plenty of Spanish places. Even along the prom there are a good few spots also so don't worry about that!

Alot of them are very good aswell!

You'll enjoy it. Id stay more on the benalmadena side tbh, the port is beautiful, plenty of unspoiled areas around that aren't full of the lager lout and fry up central kinda place

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Is it really that bad? After Booking a weekend here in August after a few nights in Malaga.. purely for the beach, hotel was extremely expensive and limited, twice the price as Malaga, but the idea of tacky English/Irish pubs and restaurants is already putting me off.. as I prefer something more authentic.

• Advertisement

Is it really that bad? After Booking a weekend here in August after a few nights in Malaga.. purely for the beach, hotel was extremely expensive and limited, twice the price as Malaga, but the idea of tacky English/Irish pubs and restaurants is already putting me off.. as I prefer something more authentic.

No, honestly it's not that bad at all, it's nothing like Benidorm or similar.

Are you going to benalmadena or torremolinos? even though they are beside, I have been to both multiple times and am returning to Benalmadena in August.

Benalmadena has lots of authentic places, an old town, lovely restaurants and a beautiful unspoiled port area with fab restaurants and bars. You can visit Palomas park, go on the cable cars up to the mountains, Tivoli world..

Then of course like most popular places you will have tacky looking/commercial bars, but this is like anywhere, you just stay away if it's not your thing :)

If you prefer something more authentic you have that option with Torremolinos and Benalmadena, as you can just stay nearer to the town/old town end of it, arroyo de la miel , some fab architecture, restaurants.

Enjoy your trip - lots of places have 'tackiness' nowadays in Spain unless you're off to a tiny village no one knows about.

I am heading on the 22nd Aug until 31st Aug, got a flight for €28!!!

And for the person above saying 'why bother going away if you're gonna eat a fry up'

get over yourself, you'd hardly ever go to Benalmadena for 'culture' it is perfect for a week in the sun, and nevermind what other people decide to eat for breakfast.

No, honestly it's not that bad at all, it's nothing like Benidorm or similar.

That's good to hear.. I've booked hotel Sol don pablo in Torremolinos, is there anywhere specific you'd recommend in that area?

That's good to hear.. I've booked hotel Sol don pablo in Torremolinos, is there anywhere specific you'd recommend in that area?

My memory is not grrreat but I'd recommend going down onto the main prom (calle San Miguel) in Torremolinos and in 5/10 minutes it'll bring you to the port of Benalmadena, there you can have some local tapas, meal, some wine and take in the scenery.

Just a note here, your hotel is actually about a 40/50 minute walk from the Benalmadina harboir/port.

That's at a strolling pace but it's lovely the whole way down.

enryb12 wrote: »
    Just a note here, your hotel is actually about a 40/50 minute walk from the Benalmadina harboir/port.

That's at a strolling pace but it's lovely the whole way down.

That sounds perfect, the main reason we decided on here was more for the beaches/walks, It's fair season in Malaga, so will be nice to get out of the city centre, although I think it takes place all over the costa del sol too, has anyone been during this time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plenty of places that don't offer the 'egg and chips' menu.

Really excellent (but very small, you would need to book) steak and fish restaurant called coenvi ii at the back of the Bajondillo apartments (on the way to the lift up to the higher level, far side of the Bajondillo from the Sol Don Pablo).

Another really good (though much more expensive place) called Vinoteca Las Tablas just beside the entrance to the lift on the higher level. Great views on their terrace, though it can get very hot at times.

Vintage 8 - other side of the Bajondillo complex (between it and the Sol Don Pablo) has some interesting menu items. The tasting menu in Vintage 8 is very good. Good Lebanese beside it too.

Hi OP. Did you enjoy your trip last year?

I never ended up going for the week. I am actually heading there for a couple of months late July instead. So looking for tips and advice on where to go while there as I haven't been there in like 6/7 yrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Make sure you try some boquerones! If you head into Malaga, the far side of the city, in El Palo, there are some really nice places to eat. Kind of like a suburb of the city, with a boardwalk type scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Granadino wrote: »
    Make sure you try some boquerones! If you head into Malaga, the far side of the city, in El Palo, there are some really nice places to eat. Kind of like a suburb of the city, with a boardwalk type scenario.

Delicious

• Advertisement
Advertisement