Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10th Annual White Christmas Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ZX7R wrote: »
    The association of snow with Christmas took of in Victorian times ,the writings of Charles Dickens also incrusted this association in our minds it is also around this time Christmas cards became popular.
    Winters were also harsh around this time ,I believe a solar minimum was happening.

Hmm..DIckens a very minor influence if any . Maybe the song " I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" was even more to blame, given the USA influence .. and of course Santy and his sleigh. Australia must be interesting at Christmas. ;)
    Probably less important where they do predictably have snow at that time also. Not a great fuss where it is predictable. Remembering my North Sea island years.

Here it is rarer than hens' teeth so hyped more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

esposito wrote: »
    True but I just have a bad feeling about this Christmas. Anyway, We’ll see what happens. All I want is a few dry, frosty days at this stage. The snow can wait till after Christmas

I'm the same, not even remotely thinking about snow on Christmas Day. It's very rare in Ireland to get a white Christmas. Cold and frosty would be great though! Not too much to ask is it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas. Bar 2010 Winter doesnt start until January and now sea temperatures are warmer real Winter starts later and later every year.

Id say now 11c Xmas day is the bookies current favorite for most places but this can change

Its changed to slightly colder on latest guidance. 8c would be likely from that. Far from set in stone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

pauldry wrote: »
    Its changed to slightly colder on latest guidance. 8c would be likely from that. Far from set in stone yet.

Absolutely, the GFS 18z has us in blue colours so a minor victory! Just shows the GFS is little use at 15 days away but can show trends if you dont follow it run by run (but where's the fun in that?!)

• Advertisement

Absolutely, the GFS 18z has us in blue colours so a minor victory! Just shows the GFS is little use at 15 days away but can show trends if you dont follow it run by run (but where's the fun in that?!)

Still a cold Xmas day on this morning's GFS. In fact pretty seasonal from tomorrow to the big day save a couple of milder days around the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The prospect of getting very mild weather in the final run up to Christmas has got a major downgrade. It makes a bit more hopeful for those dreaming of a white Christmas. I think the charts was indicating a fine dry day and the only whiteness is the early frost.
    Edit: News not to good for snow fans in the latest gfs run. Although Christmas Eve is now looking pretty cold it looks like a warm front coming in the early hours of Christmas morning. There maybe snow to affect Santa's runaround it would be rain by sunrise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have yourself a merry mild Christmas?

Live images so this will change quickly enough!

ECM

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

GSF

GFSOPEU06_360_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Below are the EPS & GEFS (00z) temp anomaly forecast for Christmas Eve Night:

EPS:
    bwF7v0u.png

GEFS:
    xeADTfC.png

As of these very early runs, average to slightly below average temps would favour average to slightly warmer by about 60% to 40%.

Let's see how the odds will look tomorrow. All for fun as there will be no clear idea until about 5 days before that sacred night.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Whatever the models are showing now, there is likely to be a strong disturbance somewhere near Ireland around the 25th or 26th. It's a very tightly supported new moon energy peak. This sort of pattern where there are frequent mixings of old arctic air in a fast westerly usually lend themselves to model confusion and a generally milder outcome than you might expect from thickness patterns alone. The air may have low thicknesses but it has been over the Atlantic for days and has to adapt to that near the surface at least.

Output past ten days in this set-up isn't very likely to verify well, as energy cycles are short and small changes upstream will ripple into larger changes downstream.

Would expect it to be mild and then rain and strong southwesterly winds will arrive at some point during the 25th.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1204484354606538752?s=09

Not sure this link will attach

Its actually trending cold again for Xmas though still 336 hours away but the next 120 are cold so keep it up Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This morning's ensembles offerings for Christmas Eve Night:

EPS:
    4p6Skyt.png

GEFS:
    gHTaC8R.png

No real clear signal yet for Ireland, though both models seem to be increasing the odds for a average to slightly warmer to about 60%/40%. All swings and roundabouts at this stage. Seems to be a clearer trend for Europe, with warmer than average over much of the central belt, but some signs of something cooler for the northern and eastern extremities.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just seeing some changes starting to evolve now longer range in the run up to Christmas. Pressure is looking a bit higher now to the northeast and we have moved away from the balmy forecast of recent days to a colder outlook that could yet take a more interesting turn.

Keep the faith! :D

ECM1-240.GIF?12-0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Final week of December and first week of January are starting to trend away from the very mild to somewhat cooler. A few outlying members are sending us towards proper cold a few days after Christmas. Will be interesting to see if we can lock on to a colder setup in the charts over the next week.

ECM goes out to Christmas eve now and it tends to suggest a cold Christmas is likely. Of course at 11 days away and with the weather so mobile that could easily change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ECM goes out to Christmas eve now and it tends to suggest a cold Christmas is likely. Of course at 11 days away and with the weather so mobile that could easily change.

That doesn`t tally with what M.T. is forecasting in his daily thread.

MT this, MT that. Who cares? It's one man with an opinion in a sea of opinions.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    MT this, MT that. Who cares? It's one man with an opinion in a sea of opinions.

I dare say M.T. has far more knowledge and experience on weather topics than most of these people with opinions.

MT is speculating on whether 11 days away using his expertise and experience. He may well be right. Im just saying what the models say. What the models say is fact, whether they are right is a whole different ball game...

I dare say M.T. has far more knowledge and experience on weather topics than most of these people with opinions.

Doesn't make him any more correct. Computers can't predict the weather 11 days accurately, ridiculous to think a person can.

• Advertisement

Doesn't make him any more correct. Computers can't predict the weather 11 days accurately, ridiculous to think a person can.

My money is on M.T`s prediction to be accurate. Anyway we don`t have too long to wait to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

MT is speculating on whether 11 days away using his expertise and experience. He may well be right. Im just saying what the models say. What the models say is fact, whether they are right is a whole different ball game...

Bold statement that,
    Saying what the models say is fact.
    Models are not facts ,they are as in there name modeling what the weather could do

Bold statement that,
    Saying what the models say is fact.
    Models are not facts ,they are as in there name modeling what the weather could do

Reread what I said. I said it is a statement of fact what the models actually say, whether what they say is right or completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Reread what I said. I said it is a statement of fact what the models actually say, whether what they say is right or completely wrong.

Rebellbrowser you stated in your post
    "What the models say is fact"

Rebellbrowser you stated in your post
    "What the models say is fact"

Not repeating myself, life is too short.

This is absolutely correct.

There are no mystic megs.

We can only go on trends presented to us by the raw data at time zero which is run through the models which in turn gives the predictions.

Nobody can forecast with any reasonable accuracy more than 7 - 10 days ahead. The very best you can do is extrapolate some vague trend and that can only be done through consistency of output across all models - a rare event in itself at that range.

In my view everyone should be sticking within the 12 day time frame (and even that is pushing it) at the very maximum.

But, look, different strokes and all that. If some want to give it a go more power to them and sometimes it will come off but it will always be very vague at that range.

I don't see the merit at all except maybe under extreme circumstance such as a sudden strat warming or something like that otherwise it a futile exercise.

And as if to prove the point right on cue...things looking a good deal more wintry now.

ECM1-216.GIF?15-12

You have to be very careful with long range forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Met eireann said the cold conditions would continue for the early part of the coming week and then there would be a slight temporary reprieve,wonder are they seeing something along the lines Kermit is alluding to in the above chart

As already posted, both the ECM and GFS this morning have a short but potent northerly sourced blast of cold around 24 to 26 December. And yes, that's 10 days away. Still usually we are looking at horror charts on this day every year.

".....May your days be merry and bright,
    And may all your...." ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

6z GFS continues the trend for a cold xmas day with snow shower possibilities in the north...

Advertisement