Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resort Suggestions (No German Europop!!!!)

• 18-09-2019 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey all, been skiing for the last 10 years, Austria mostly. Been to Soll loads of times (love the place :D) but looking for a different resort this year.

Went to Mayrhofen last year. The skiing was good but I wasn't the biggest fan of the aprés. There was a good buzz and good crowds but it was all the German Europop rubbish music which I can't stand. (We were all ready to throw ourselves off the mountain by the end of the week if we heard that Niki ****ing Lauda song again! :D)

One of the reasons I love Soll apart form the SkiWelt is the live music there is always very good.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a different resort in the same vein?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Trevor O wrote: »
    if we heard that Niki ****ing Lauda song again! :D)

Sacrilege

In this year of the tenacious one's passing we must honour him with even more iterations

You want another Austria resort but without the crap apres ski techno? Sure its their national sport. Do they not do that in soll?

I always hear Brits on snowheads waxing lyrical about some performer in St Anton but the main haunts there are Euro techno institutions

Maybe ischgl has some classier places I think someone posted here about it before?

Or else just go to Italy and France but you'll be back, no one does it like the austrians! We need two hours of high energy nonsense every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Went to Ischgl last year. Freeride is the place to go if you want to avoid the cheese. Decent enough tunes with a good party atmosphere. All the other big apres bars play that europop sh!te.

And can people stop calling it techno aswell please? As a big fan of actual techno music I find it hugely offensive mad.png

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

a148pro wrote: »
    Sacrilege

In this year of the tenacious one's passing we must honour him with even more iterations

:D
    You want another Austria resort but without the crap apres ski techno? Sure its their national sport. Do they not do that in soll?

Thankfully not. Almost every bar you go to has some form of live music and the late bar/nightclub plays decent music. Can't remember hearing Europop at any point though I'm sure it must crop up somewhere.
    I always hear Brits on snowheads waxing lyrical about some performer in St Anton but the main haunts there are Euro techno institutions

Was there a few years ago, wasn't bad to be fair. Remember one Aussie girl used to play in one of the bars that had a big following.

Or else just go to Italy and France but you'll be back, no one does it like the austrians! We need two hours of high energy nonsense every now and then

I f*cking love Austria! :)

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Went to Ischgl last year. Freeride is the place to go if you want to avoid the cheese. Decent enough tunes with a good party atmosphere. All the other big apres bars play that europop sh!te.

Good live music or just DJs? I've heard Ischgl is pretty expensive?
    And can people stop calling it techno aswell please? As a big fan of actual techno music I find it hugely offensive mad.png
    :D

Just DJs. Not sure if there's anywhere in Ischgl with live bands tbh

Cost wise it's similar to St Anton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm the same! Some of my best days on skis have been with headphones in.

What is the actual name of the genre? Apres ??? I think I call it Euro techno because it reminds me of Euro trash kitsch and the fast bpm reminds me of a lot of the crap european stuff I listened to as a teenager

I'm the same! Some of my best days on skis have been with headphones in.

What is the actual name of the genre? Apres ??? I think I call it Euro techno because it reminds me of Euro trash kitsch and the fast bpm reminds me of a lot of the crap european stuff I listened to as a teenager
    No idea tbh, euro-dance or euro-pop?

It reminds me of the music they'd always play at the end of every episode of Eurotrash.

Maybe just call it eurotrash so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Discofox genre I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I remember going to Bad Gastein about 12 Years ago and the live music in Silver Bullet was absolutely epic.... prob best I've ever heard!

I go to saalbach most years now and have only seen live music in the under bar and bobby's at bottom of town. Saalbach is a better version of Soll!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Soll and Meribel have been the two spots with the best music of all the places i've been

• Advertisement

I remember going to Bad Gastein about 12 Years ago and the live music in Silver Bullet was absolutely epic.... prob best I've ever heard!

I go to saalbach most years now and have only seen live music in the under bar and bobby's at bottom of town. Saalbach is a better version of Soll!!!

Whoa, Saalbach is pricey! :(

We're tied to midterm with the missus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You're going to the wrong apres bars dude.

There are plenty of non europop if you look a new meters off the track.

If you like Austria, I'd recommend Obertauern, going there 20+ years now. Not great for beginners tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I've been to Mayrhofen loads of times. The Ice Bar and Bruckn Stahl are very Eurotrash but there are other options. Mo's have some really good live music later on around 9pm. I think some bands play in Scotland Yard also.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

This post has me concerned as I'm going to Söll in Feb and for me the Eurotrash (I'd heard it described as Schlager?) is a big part of the appeal. I NEED it (Wie heißt die Mutter von Niki Lauda?) ðŸ˜
    Can I find handy bars for it in Söll?

In relation to the actual question of the thread, Zell am See has way less of that type of apres and is generally classier than Mayrhofen and is a good bit cheaper than Saalbach.

This post has me concerned as I'm going to Söll in Feb and for me the Eurotrash (I'd heard it described as Schlager?) is a big part of the appeal. I NEED it (Wie heißt die Mutter von Niki Lauda?) ðŸ˜
    Can I find handy bars for it in Söll?

In relation to the actual question of the thread, Zell am See has way less of that type of apres and is generally classier than Mayrhofen and is a good bit cheaper than Saalbach.

We bit the bullet and booked Söll for the Feb midterm yesterday!

This is our sixth time going. For the first four years we went I don't remember ever hearing the Europop, but when we were there two years ago we went to the Moonlight Bar (at the end of the red and blue runs that take you back to the village) for the first time and there was plenty of it if you need to get your fix!

(Just remembered that now and contradicted myself from earlier in the thread when I said I never came across it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Ah cool, that's a relief, I'd heard of Moonlight alright but was afraid I'd gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Mayrhofen was great for it (or terrible depending on your perspective) as you had the Pilz and Elch bars on top of the Penken and the Bruckn Stadl at the bottom, thought the Eis bar was really seedy though with girls out there working for the season dancing on oil drums.

Trevor O wrote: »
    For the first four years we went I don't remember ever hearing the Europop,
    thats because you were so drunk Trev :confused:

you should take your own guitar ;)

Lethean wrote: »
    thats because you were so drunk Trev :confused:

you should take your own guitar ;)

Thanks E. :D

Advertisement