Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclocross 2019-2020 - The CXy thread

1235»

Comments

Plastik wrote: »
    CyclingTips reporting that the Dublin 2020 CX World Cup race has been pulled.

Stickybottle ran a piece on it too, it mentioned them being run during the next season 2021/22

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-loses-out-as-uci-cyclocross-world-cup-races-are-reshuffled/

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Any rumblings on the Leinster League or Supercross Cup being announced soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Any rumblings on the Leinster League or Supercross Cup being announced soon?

The way things are going and the rollback into Covid restrictions, I can't see a Southern CX league starting up anytime soon..

Maybe up in Ulster, but they may decide to do the same in the next month or two..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

From what I know the Munster Series, and the Ulster series are going ahead.

The dates are available on the Munster CX facebook site, and on Ulstercyclocross.com

As Tenzor said this could all change.

It is proving challenging to get councils to give permission for events, and the limit of 200 persons is also a problem for organisers to consider.

The national champs are on the calendar for January in Armagh, which will be an excellent venue.

Its usually a muddy slippery affair (in a good way).

With all this rain, the courses should be generally softer this year.

I dont think this will be a vintage year for cross, and lets hope we get to race as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

What do folk think about starting a new 2020 2021 thread?

Season just weeks away now.

Title as previously suggested by my learned friend = "Bringing CXy Back".

Other options might be Corona Cross, Cross Infection, or Cross Contamination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

crosswords wrote: »
    Title as previously suggested by my learned friend = "Bringing CXy Back".

Justin and I obviously approve of this suggestion :)

DlXkpaxXgAAgHwK?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

crosswords wrote: »
    From what I know the Munster Series, and the Ulster series are going ahead.The dates are available on the Munster CX facebook site, and on Ulstercyclocross.com.

Yea I hope they go ahead once things get better with the Covid response.

This is the time of year race organisers go about getting access to venues, getting indemnity cover, organising sponsors, prizes, formats etc... However with the high level of uncertainty many will keep those plans on firm hold...

CXy is back. Entries opened today for Kinning GP.

https://eventmaster.ie/event/b44Yi9AHjr

Brilliant news #crossiscoming

Any rumblings of any dates for Supercross Cup or Leinster League on the horizon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭25sean

Féach ar sin!

it's that time of year again - we have the big red cloud league (which is ten minute from my house - sweet), Kinning also has a race scheduled for 19th September. Are there any other races that people know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The 17th October race in Clonmel ( I presume the racecourse) is still on the UCI calendar https://cyclocross24.com/race/10879/

There look to be a good few cross races coming up according to the CI events page - https://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling/cyclocross/cyclocross-events/

Anyone racing in clonmel on the 16th? Wont make itm yself unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Entry is open now and is via the Eventmaster Portal.

CI Members link https://eventmaster.ie/event/POVJsJDhLe

Non CI Members https://eventmaster.ie/event/DpREcmAcJr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cripes, there's a huge jump in CX entry costs now with the prices of new cross bikes. A lot of the major manufacturers' entry level cross bikes are starting at prices in excess of 2 grand - Ridley, Trek, Focus, even Canyon. It's big beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

How hard is CX? What is the standard like at the lower end?

For comparison = I used to do a lot of Cross Country running races, and for example in the Dublin Novice the last place could take more than twice as long to run the course as the winner. So it caters for everyone.

I'd like to try this but I'd be concerned I'd be stuck at the back of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In my experience no matter where you are, 2nd, 12th, or 62nd, you'll be consumed by a vicious battle with the fella in front and the lad behind and the bigger picture won't matter a damn!

yeah - what fat bloke says. There will always be someone to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I understand - but at some point someone is last......and I'm trying to figure out how far back that is, and if I am within that range or outside it.

Dont want to be the lad who is still on the course when everyone else has finished.

Anyways, I will take it from what you've said that there is a wide range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

You won't be on your own. If you are right at the back you'll get lapped towards the end of the race. Usually a good time to pull up and get out of the way.

Haven't done a CX race for a few years but when I did I would typically be well away from the pointy end in the B races. At that point you race whoever is near you and the 'fun' is in trying not to get lapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HcMK6tD_M

Video from Carrick Cross..

Ugh, anyone know how to embed a video in this **** show of a forum software ?

im raging i wont make Carrick this weekend - unfortunately family commitments mean i cant go.

Good luck to anyone taking part. The bridges look epic

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Yo my first post on here for two years ...and I'm here to shill ye on a once in a lifetime offer. :D

Entry for the Orwell Wheelers CX Race is open.

It's a new course at the GAP, using the front field along the uplift road, the field has a tonne of potential.

It has much less climbing, and 100% less sandpits.

Entry will close on Thursday Oct. 21st at 23:45.

Entry is free for the U6/U8/U10/U12 races, generously covered by Joe Daly Cycles.

Riders with Leisure Licenses can enter the Men's B and Women's Races with One Day License, which is an option in the Checkout flow.

Entry: https://eventmaster.ie/event/o2VbUk3tLm

More Details: https://www.orwellwheelers.org/events/cx/1369-orwell-cx-race-2021-r2-of-the-leinster-league-of-cx

Does anyone know of any B&M shops in greater Dublin area that stock Challenge tyres? Got caught out in Chicanes on Saturday in Clonmel and don’t think conditions for this Sunday in Glencullen warrant Limus’ so looking at Baby Limus as compromise between both but delivery dates not looking good atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

12:50 Race Start Men’s U14, U16, Support Races

How does this race work, we're all on the course together but U14 are let loose first?

Two Youth Members of club were roped into helping Glen Kinning out. I think they've got a future in video anyways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

About the Orwell race, went to pay but the options for me are A or B elites, are they being run at the same time or are the B elites the support race? Sorry for the stupid question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

B elite would be the support race. Its classed Elite as its adults.

Advertisement