Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Godfather of Harlem - US-Pace- EPIX (**Spoilers**)

• 28-07-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭

Starts September 29th.

Forest Whitaker & Vincent D'Onofrio go head to head.

Also starring the stunning Ilfenesh Hadera along with Giancarlo Esposito & Paul Sorvino
    Godfather of Harlem tells the "true story of infamous crime boss Bumpy Johnson, who in the early 1960s returned from ten years in prison to find the neighborhood he once ruled in shambles. With the streets controlled by the Italian mob, Bumpy must take on the Genovese crime family to regain control. During the brutal battle, he forms an alliance with radical preacher Malcolm X – catching Malcolm’s political rise in the crosshairs of social upheaval and a mob war that threatens to tear the city apart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Feels like these trailers are hiding a shedload of violence.

Very solid opening two episodes.

Damm strong cast and loving the one to one's between Whitaker & D'Onofrio

It was good. I guess the threat would be that it could end up like boardwalk empire. So they'll need decent writers if they want something long term.
    Whitaker & D'Onofrio
    If they come to blows! :eek:

Cracking end of episode scene between D'Onofrio & Whitaker two powerful actors at their best.

Just found out this is a prequel to American Gangster.

• Advertisement

Really good season finale episode this week around the JFK assassination.

This is one of the best shows on TV at the moment some great acting going on across the cast.

How the characters find out about the JFK assassination is pretty much how the characters in the Irishman find out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Is it gritty like say, Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire? I can't help but feel looking at it like it's a basic cable TV thing that is fairly tame. Don't get me wrong, not saying that a show needs violence or profanity to be good, but it certainly helps with a genre show like this.

3: Jeez, I thought the episode was gonna be a politics episode until the end :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Homelander wrote: »
    Is it gritty like say, Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire?

For me its more or less a sequel to Boardwalk empire set 40 years into the future, Black Nationalism, Italian Mafia double crosses etc are all there

Even Erik LaRay Harvey (who played Dunn Purnsley in Boardwalk) turns up playing almost the same henchman role!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Not getting into this at all. Some poor scenes in the first few episodes without wanting to give anything away. Same auld same auld over and over with these crime series. Tits and violence. I think I might go back and watch The Wire again.

• Advertisement

4: Felt like a setup episode. Cool that they are including Muhammad Ali in the show.

5: Well this feels like a pivot point. War from here?

6: Ah Guapo. I guess this establishes everyone-out-for-themselves from here on.

Vincent D'Onofrio in the shower with the umbrella :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,929 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    The Godfather of Harlem starts on RTE Two on Tuesday 7th January at 9pm

7: War? War!!

For a second I thought they were gonna kill Bumpys wife.

7 Episodes in .. out of 10 total.. now that was a slow build-up!

Slydice wrote: »
    War!
    .. now that was a slow build-up!
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    i didnt find it slow

I did. Some of things like murders/standoffs that happened before this had me thinking a War was gonna start before this point.

8: They got me at the start when bumpy in the coffin. I was a bit shocked cos I knew wasn't the last episode.

Can't believe Booby, the music shop guy, died for bumpy like that.

Giancarlo Esposito tends to play baddies but seeing him lay into the Nazi dude felt just fine. I was a bit surprised they even turned up in the show. The 1960s like, right?

9: So.. Gigante has turned Bonanno against Bumpy? Hrmmm.. this show has always made it seem like the Italians were way more powerful than Bumpy. Not sure how the last episode isn't going to be a dark one.

Finished. Overall the show was alright. Would probably check out a season 2.

Felt like I got more of an education of the Politics and Gangsters of Harlem around the 1960s. Felt like the show would suit people interested in the Mob and how it worked more than action.

Nigél Thatch as Malcom X put in a good performance. Obviously Forest Whitaker, Vincent D'Onofrio and Giancarlo Esposito brought a lot to the show. Nods to Luis Guzman as Guapo, Lucy Fry as Stella, Paul Sorvino as Frank Costello, Chazz Palminteri as Bonanno and Kevin Corrigan as Bennie Eggs (guy who shot Teddy).

Anyway..

10: I swear, when Teddy took out the tickets to L.A. I auto-imagined him saying something like.. 'I've only got 3 days till retirement'. Was surprised at how it played out. I'm guessing it leaves open the possibility that Stella might get back with Ernie. I didn't have any doubt for the fight between Bumpy and the assassin. It just didn't feel right that Bumpy would be taken out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭corkie

brian_t wrote: »
    The Godfather of Harlem starts on RTE Two on Tuesday 7th January at 9pm.

That's tonight folks, thread seems positive about it.

Double episodes tonight.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

corkie wrote: »
    That's tonight folks, thread seems positive about it.

Double episodes tonight.

watched the first two on RTE. Not bad, music's good.

On a side note
    looks like Don Draper's New York apartment from Mad Men is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Loving it.

Gritty, gripping , based on actual events, great cast.

And on rte!

Saw 1st two episodes last week, just about to watch ep 4

1st series I've actually recorded on the sky box!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

No episodes on RTE next Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

paulie21 wrote: »
    No episodes on RTE next Tuesday?

The last two episodes are on Tuesday 11th.

Next Tuesday there is a final leaders debate on RTE One - could that have something to do with the postponement?. I don't know.

Renewed for a 2nd season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Where can you see this now?
    Netflix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Where can you see this now?
    Netflix ?

I don't think it's on Netflix or any other streaming service.

I don't think it's on Netflix or any other streaming service.

Wonder is any tv station going to show it

It aired on RTE early in the year maybe check and see if it is on the RTE player.

• Advertisement

It aired on RTE early in the year maybe check and see if it is on the RTE player.

Yea no sign of it on the player

Advertisement