Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 Congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Mark I think they should build easternbypass, one lane for public transport only at peak hour. Do multipoint tolling on m50. Get rid of east link tolll , it’s idiocy.

Where will the cars go when you introduce multi point tolling on the M50? Into the surrounding roads which definitely don't have the capacity for the traffic.

At rush hour public transport is jammed so there's no space for the car commuters there or if they do get on it'll be the terminus so the regular users will be passed. The carrot has to be built before more stick is used. Build DU and a proper metro on the green line, not the BS of the current plan, then do the bus connects, again for the majority not the NIMBYS. Then the stick can come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Multipoint tolling at peak hours ... some people go through town to avoid m50 toll. Could they not place 1c extra on fuel for example to get rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alexjp

What Dublin need is less people using cars. The goverment has to invest masively in public transport (metro, Luas, Dart, bus corridors, cicle lanes...) and allow the buildings to grow higher in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

is_that_so wrote:
    If you're (stuck) on it for any length of time you'll probably meet those 1-2 accidents anyway. Most of them are minor tips but the effect on the road is rapidly cumulative.

Don't I know it. And the infuriating bit is that they happen between cars going in the same direction and usually at 40-50 kph max. If people drove in the proper lane and put their phones away we'd all save a lot of time.

alexjp wrote: »
    What Dublin need is less people using cars. The goverment has to invest masively in public transport (metro, Luas, Dart, bus corridors, cicle lanes...) and allow the buildings to grow higher in the city centre.

And stop building semi D or detached housing estates in the middle of the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

crossman47 wrote: »
    Ah now. The Kingswood stop is a ten minute walk from TV3. How close do you have to make a stop?
    More like 20 minutes. Its close to 1.5km. Horrible walk on a day like today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny enough, i witnessed what was almost certainly a rear ending happening two cars behind us on the M50 today as we queued to come off at the cork exit, southbound, just after having passed the aftermath of another rear ender.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First Up wrote: »
    Don't I know it. And the infuriating bit is that they happen between cars going in the same direction and usually at 40-50 kph max. If people drove in the proper lane and put their phones away we'd all save a lot of time.

these prangs were happening before smart-phones were a thing. In heavy slow moving traffic people just lose their concentration, or become frustrated and drive stupidly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

None of which has anything to do with the bad driving that causes the biggest hold ups.

I'm curious why posters here are so reluctant to face that.
    it can be both, though.
    it's bad driving practice to drive too close to the car in front. but if everyone drove a safe distance from the car in front, the number of cars the M50 holds would plummet.

you simply *cannot* have the volume of traffic the M50 holds, and have no accidents. it can't be fixed purely by driver education.

if everyone on the M50 drove at 60km/h, and adhered to the 3 second safety rule, they would take up about 60m of road. which means that each kilometre can hold 17 cars per lane, or about 50 across the three lanes. so the entire instantaneous capacity of the 30km stretch southbound from the M1 to sandyford would be 1500 vehicles, at full safe capacity. we're asking it to hold far, far more than that though.

and again, that shows how godawfully inefficient motorways are at moving people around.

it can be both, though.
    it's bad driving practice to drive too close to the car in front. but if everyone drove a safe distance from the car in front, the number of cars the M50 holds would plummet.

you simply *cannot* have the volume of traffic the M50 holds, and have no accidents. it can't be fixed purely by driver education.

if everyone on the M50 drove at 60km/h, and adhered to the 3 second safety rule, they would take up about 60m of road. which means that each kilometre can hold 17 cars per lane, or about 50 across the three lanes. so the entire instantaneous capacity of the 30km stretch southbound from the M1 to sandyford would be 1500 vehicles, at full safe capacity. we're asking it to hold far, far more than that though.

and again, that shows how godawfully inefficient motorways are at moving people around.

That's why they should have variable speed limits. The problem is people braking from driving too close and at higher speeds the affect is magnified. If everyone was doing 50km/h the traffic would be smoother and would flow better with less chance of crashes. BTW its a 2 second rule.

I luckily don't use the motorways much but yesterday I was going North on the M50 and people where not leaving any gaps. There was 3 cars ahead of me that where closer together than the 2 second gap I'd left, anytime I tried to be safe and leave 4 seconds it was filled. The other lanes were as bad.

• Advertisement

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    First time driving on m50 in a while. Left dundrum at 4 and it took about 45 mins to blanch exit.

Combination of idiots lane changing to get one car ahead and people using the slip ways for late re entry. Rain probably didn't help.

Glad I no longer use it on a regular basis.

This is the main issue with all driving here; driver attitude. Always have to be one car ahead, always have to queue skip. People go on about speeding and phones, etc, but all these accidents in morning and evening runs are people doing dodgy lane changes that they didn’t need to do. Books should be gone for a year minimum.

Del2005 wrote: »
    BTW its a 2 second rule.
    I've heard both, and since it's not actually official, I don't think there's a 'correct' version of it. Anyway, at two seconds, the capacity would jump to 2,300 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've heard both, and since it's not actually official, I don't think there's a 'correct' version of it. Anyway, at two seconds, the capacity would jump to 2,300 or so.

The 2 second rule is the one they question you on in the driving test.

It also states that the number of collisions has increased from 39 per month pre - Jan 2018 to about 50 per month post Jan 2018 - this is a fairly considerable increase and I doubt driving standards increased or decreased in that time, so the variable is the number of vehicles.

I wonder how many of the 50 are rear endings and how many are from careless lane changes? Either way, they are all avoidable.

Are any prosecuted? Just paying for the damage you cause isn't enough; there should be a fine/points for messing up everyone else. That would concentrate minds.

I suppose some "breakdowns" are genuine car failures but anyone who runs out of fuel deserves to pay a whopping fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

It's hard to drive properly on the M50. You leave a proper 2 second gap, and a car jumps into the space, you brake and pull back, another car jumps in etc. It's so infuriating, 5km down the road, and you can still see the lane hopper, who after several lane changes, has gotten 2 car lengths ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

On friday I was just coming onto the M1 from Collins Ave. junction. Rain all day so the roads were full of rain water, spray etc.

A taxi driver came from the left lane flying across and in behind me so that his front bumper was virtually riding my back bumper, trying to push me to speed in the narrow 60kph zone before you get onto the M1 proper.

I just put on the hazards and eased off the gas and let myself gently lose speed. He finally realised he wasnt going to be able to bully me and backed off.

Further on, where the slip road joins the motorway just nth of the port tunnel I accelerated promptly up to 80kph limit. A few moments later the "Professional Driver" blasts past in the inner lane doing I would say 100kph+, and flipping me the bird from inside the driver window.

This is precisely the sort of dangerous ignoramus that is causing traffic chaos on motorways and other roads week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If lane discipline was enforced with an iron fist on the M50, the M50 would work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

A new Liffey bridge in west Dublin would male a huge difference to M50 traffic.
    Personally I think 3 new bridges are needed:
    1) a public transport only bridge on the alignment of Metro West. This would have 2 bus lanes and 2 tram lanes for Metro West in the future.
    2) an extension of the ORR from its current end point at the N4 to Ongar
    3) part the new proposed road which would act as the boundary to Dublin’s continuous sprawl through St Catherine’s Park, tying in with number 2.

If all three of the above were built, numbers on the M50 would drop significantly.

Even just building the first one which would offer reliable quick journey times between Tallaght - Blanch or Liffey Valley - Blanch would have a huge impact.
    It wouldn’t be that expensive, €100m max which is pretty much what the M50 toll makes (gross) in a year.
    Unfortunately, being so reliant on the M50 suits the toll operators so it’s unlikely it’s gong to happen.

It’s finny because Dublin isn’t actually that sprawled, it’s the lack of investment in these sort of projects that cripples it. If you could take all local traffic (or at least a major proration of it) off the M50, it could go back to doing what it was designed to do and act as a motorway bypass of Dublin.

The improvement of orbital cross country routes such as the N80 and N52 would also help enormously

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

endacl wrote: »
    If lane discipline was enforced with an iron fist on the M50, the M50 would work properly.

Praise the lord!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

endacl wrote: »

During peak times it's like a racetrack, it's everyone for themselves.

• Advertisement

During peak times it's like a racetrack, it's everyone for themselves.

At peak times it makes sense to use all three lanes; everyone is going at much the same speed. But changing lanes still needs to be done with care and courtesy - both frequently lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

We need to build the M47, Leinster outer orbital motorway

http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures/m47.html

Where do they get the names from?

from reading the link, the motorway would have combined the n4 and n7, hence the M47, by the looks of it.

At peak times it makes sense to use all three lanes; everyone is going at much the same speed. But changing lanes still needs to be done with care and courtesy - both frequently lacking.

It's also lacking from the people in the lane you want to enter. I've often been in the overtaking lane looking for a gap to get into the other overtaking lane and the drivers don't leave any gaps, sticking on the left indicator makes no difference eventually you have to get assertive. Then when you get to the driving lane it's empty!

Del2005 wrote:
    It's also lacking from the people in the lane you want to enter. I've often been in the overtaking lane looking for a gap to get into the other overtaking lane and the drivers don't leave any gaps, sticking on the left indicator makes no difference eventually you have to get assertive. Then when you get to the driving lane it's empty!

The middle lane is hugely popular on the M50. Some people wouldn't dream of being anywhere else.

I have long given up trying to overtake by changing to outer lanes. If the inside (driving) lane is empty or moving quicker, just stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

The middle lane is hugely popular on the M50. Some people wouldn't dream of being anywhere else.

The exception I’ve found is that the inside lane suddenly becomes very popular with these people as others begin to merge from an on ramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Panrich wrote: »
    The exception I’ve found is that the inside lane suddenly becomes very popular with these people as others begin to merge from an on ramp.

Merging in general seems to be an issue for many drivers.

Joining the M50 Northbound from the N7 drivers regularly stop while waiting for a gap to merge into even through there’s an auxiliary lane all the way up to J7/N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kravmaga wrote: »
    We need to build the M47, Leinster outer orbital motorway

http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures/m47.html

Would that not just rapidly become the same as the m50, and encourage further urban sprawl, (which would make it more difficult to have a decent public transport system,)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would that not just rapidly become the same as the m50, and encourage further urban sprawl, (which would make it more difficult to have a decent public transport system,)

It would not. A bypass that far away would be used by those avoiding Dublin altogether, not by those living and working in the city and county.

M50 is currently a relief road but is direct route to port and airport. So its usage will always be high. Non Dublin county traffic is minimal percentage wise i have to imagine

Advertisement