Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Lovely run at Trooperstown yesterday. The heavy mist added a lot of character to the race. Kept wondering if I was on the right track in stages despite being on a route I know well. You know it’s a ridiculous winning time by Killian Mooney when he had a three minute gap on a great field!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just want to ask was reading up on the Morris Mullins Ultra rules and regs...
    In particular the early start....Its my first time doing the event/distance and my training hasn't gone as planned...
    I dont want to get bogged down in time but given I dont know what time I will finish in or hit the cut off points etc I was going to air on the side of caution and take the early start...seems a tad harsh to be given 6 hours even if you do better?
    I havent even looked at the weather but after running in it on course last Saturday morning the wind cost me an extra 40 minutes on the return alone...
    What to do...??
    Will there be water on the course?? for hydration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Morris Mullins Ultra rules and regs...
    In particular the early start....I dont want to get bogged down in time but given I dont know what time I will finish in or hit the cut off points etc I was going to air on the side of caution and take the early start...seems a tad harsh to be given 6 hours even if you do better?

Just on this, if you feel you can do better don't take the early start. That's how it's designed.

The 6 hour minimum time for the early starters is indeed harsh but it is designed that way to discourage people from taking the early start who don't really need the early start.

As for the water stations, best to not depend on them.

And Maulin was super. Really good course, Steep initial climb. Very steep.

Unlike Annagh Hill you can't see it coming either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

6 hours would have you in top half of the field. 70th out of 174 starters.

That’s fairly competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Peterx wrote: »
    Just on this, if you feel you can do better don't take the early start. That's how it's designed.

The 6 hour minimum time for the early starters is indeed harsh but it is designed that way to discourage people from taking the early start who don't really need the early start.

As for the water stations, best to not depend on them.

Early starts for most races are very much the exception and that's how it should be.
    The MM race is unusual in that a sizeable bunch take the early start.
    Its a difficult rule to administer as many MM runners are irregular runners so you can't judge their history.
    Taking the early start in the MM runners get quite the advantage in having the boardwalk from Djouce to themselves, particularly if they are borderline steady runners. The same runner who takes the main start has most congestion on the boardwalk given the MMH race starts at 12 noon heading the opposite way.
    The thing is though, if you take the early start, you might as well be in another race, so which race do you want to be in?

And Maulin was super. Really good course, Steep initial climb. Very steep.

Unlike Annagh Hill you can't see it coming either :)

Annagh this year will have an extra twist of a new found trail at the end... so a tad longer but less fireroad and all the nicer for it. Shall endeavour to get route onto strava beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Not too much of a regular trail runner lately with first baby last year but MM this weekend is my first Ultra. done the half last year, weather was not great but overall enjoyed it. Weather looks to be better this year.

My biggest concern is what to carry with me as this is a new distance for me. I am carrying two 500ml bottles on front with the option for a bladder in the pack for a further 1L but this makes the pack rub a bit the wrong way. So will probably ditch the bladder and carry an extra 500ml soft flask full in my pack so total 1.5L with me to get to halfway. Then the usual fuel, jacket, some spare socks perhaps and some other bits.

For the halfway point bringing water to fill up bottles and some food to fuel back up. Also some spare trail shoes just in case, spare socks, and change in running gear if really needed.

Hopefully this should have me covered. Also anyone driving from Dublin 15 area would love a lift? (means I can leave the car at home for wife/baby to come out and meet me)

Djoucer wrote: »

The top half of last years competitors and they are my buddys words...Ignorance is bliss :eek: (first time to do the distance but not run a tough event)
    I just want to complete it without the brain damage of times etc..tis the reason I trail run...
    Whether or not hes talking through his back end we will see on Saturday afternoon :D

chris85 wrote: »
    Not too much of a regular trail runner lately with first baby last year but MM this weekend is my first Ultra. done the half last year, weather was not great but overall enjoyed it. Weather looks to be better this year.

My biggest concern is what to carry with me as this is a new distance for me. I am carrying two 500ml bottles on front with the option for a bladder in the pack for a further 1L but this makes the pack rub a bit the wrong way. So will probably ditch the bladder and carry an extra 500ml soft flask full in my pack so total 1.5L with me to get to halfway. Then the usual fuel, jacket, some spare socks perhaps and some other bits.

For the halfway point bringing water to fill up bottles and some food to fuel back up. Also some spare trail shoes just in case, spare socks, and change in running gear if really needed.

Hopefully this should have me covered. Also anyone driving from Dublin 15 area would love a lift? (means I can leave the car at home for wife/baby to come out and meet me)

Hmm. if you are leaving runners in your drop bag how will you get them back? I could be wrong, but for me, the drop bag is for stuff you'll use on the return journey - not something that you can leave and collect again later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Also some spare trail shoes just in case, spare socks, and change in running gear if really needed.

Seems like overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Each to their own and all that but 1.5L of water for 25k on a mild day is loads and will be a pain to carry, especially if you suffer from chafing like you mention.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Seems like overkill?

Yup perhaps you are right. First ultra so all Abit unknown for me. Originally had thought of just thought to being pack with 1L water, rain jacket, maybe a baselayer in case get cold, some food and a few first aid basics. And just have water and some fuel at half way point which should be ok.

Mild day on the mountains so shouldn't need too much to carry. Jacket as a layer will cover most requirements.

Will be all good on the day.

grahamor wrote: »
    Each to their own and all that but 1.5L of water for 25k on a mild day is loads and will be a pain to carry, especially if you suffer from chafing like you mention.

Don't really suffer from chafing. Just with the bladder I seem to so will not be carrying that.

The ultra is 50km.

There’s usually enough water points so that you don’t have to carry that much. You should have enough water till turnaround.

Refill there and then there’s water at Crone and again just before last climb.

Try not to spend too long at turnaround. There’s isn’t much there anyway and there’s a long slog back out. Once you hit the boardwalk again you’ve broken the back of the race.

Looks like a great day for running/hiking...
    Cold at the start...

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-2964693/Ireland/Leinster/County%20Wicklow/Djouce%20Mountain

Best of luck to everyone safe round...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Great weather for it today, very enjoyable race... And for the first time in 4 yrs I started. . and finished a race.

Great event thanks to everyone who volunteered and to the organisers who all give up their free time to make the event the one it was.
    Well done to all runners who took part too good spirits along the route.
    Serious winning times!!

Anyone know where the person taking photos/video on Maurice Mullins might have them posted?
    If hes looking excuse my description...Tall lad, dread locks, tattoos, piercings and a trail running head I recognise but dont know his name?
    (could be any of a thousand people I've just described)...

Djoucer wrote: »

Both of us well under 6 hours Djoucer.. :cool:

• Advertisement

How did your race go Chris85?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyone know where the person taking photos/video on Maurice Mullins might have them posted?
    If hes looking excuse my description...Tall lad, dread locks, tattoos, piercings and a trail running head I recognise but dont know his name?

They're posted the IMRA facebook page, as well as his own that fletch mentions below.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

https://www.facebook.com/pg/mudsweatandrunners/posts/
    https://www.facebook.com/JuJusTrailRunning/

I know who you’re talking about. He posted them on IMRA unofficial Facebook page.

Great races at weekend. Weather was fantastic and the trails were fast. Ridiculous winning times in both races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Annagh Hill happened yesterday, I don't think too many from these parts took part but no doubt you'll enjoy reading the reports... several of them here from the guy who came 2nd, the guy who came 3rd, the guy expected to win it but missed a turn, and from our very own Slogger Jogger. In the end the race was won by the hill running legend that is Robbie Bryson, M50 but still the best ascender around. It was a fantastic day with lots of twists and turns, lots of drama, lots of smiling faces, and lots of cheering spectators old and young. Best race down here yet, and well done to all who raced it!

I'm happy to show people my local hill even though I don't hillrace any more, but there is a similar purity and completeness and kinship to be found in the hills and the sea both; each wash you of the ravages of time and place you firmly in the exact moment of what you are doing, the next stroke, the next footfall. Next stop is the PeterX Laoistravaganza Glenbarrow race!

How did your race go Chris85?

went well and happy enough with finish time of 6.5 hours. Haven't done really any hill or trail running in previous year so I felt good throughout but legs just really weren't conditioned for it so found parts tough to get legs moving. But first ultra done and actually felt fairly decent throughout.

Wednesday night Leinster League is Back, Baby!

A new route on Bray Head, sunny sunshine, YUMMY.

Last weekend the Irish Champs kicked off with Slieve Donard absolutely ripping the legs out of me, still have the DOMS today. It's a great race though. Well worth the trip North if you get the chance next year. Nice town, grass parking, grass finish, ice cream shops, a beach and a seriously tough race with the quirky "beat your age to the top" race within a race - the one that can leave your legs in a jellylike state 2km before the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Wednesday night Leinster League is Back, Baby!

A new route on Bray Head, sunny sunshine, YUMMY.

Last weekend the Irish Champs kicked off with Slieve Donard absolutely ripping the legs out of me, still have the DOMS today. It's a great race though. Well worth the trip North if you get the chance next year. Nice town, grass parking, grass finish, ice cream shops, a beach and a seriously tough race with the quirky "beat your age to the top" race within a race - the one that can leave your legs in a jellylike state 2km before the finish.

Looking forward to tonight’s race. The new route is great, means no contra flow of runners along the route. The climb of over 100m between 2k and 3k is a kick in the stones for sure and when you reach the cross, take a sec to look down and see the finish on the beach.

Looking forward to tonight’s race..... take a sec to look down and see the finish on the beach.

The first time I will be looking at the finish is when I hit the beach:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

My favourite event of the year is on Saturday. The Wicklow Way Relay.
    My team, Glendalough AC, will be looking to improve on last year's seventh spot.
    On the glory leg this year myself, leg 8.

Anyone else round these parts in? Any inside info on the competition?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Advertisement