Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

fitz wrote: »
    So, no legal way to watch this over here when it launches? Well, that sucks.

i think game of thrones will have a contender for most pirated show

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not saying I want a plot summary trailer at all, but some sense of what the show is about would be nice. It's Disney so I'm sure they have everything worked out down to the nearest dollar.

I dunno, got the sense from the latest trailer that it's a Mandalorian who takes up bounty hunting after Mandalore gets screwed by the Empire, but maybe ends up reneging or balking at a contract and gets the wrong side of the Empire, joins the Rebellion?
    That's enough for me, tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

peteeeed wrote: »

Delusional if they think they can delay a couple of months and people won't have pirated it. Daft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, that's insane. I'd have presumed a global release. Unless they have their legal and IT sec. departments on Code Red; I've wondered before if the prospect of their TV shows getting pirated might finally turn the weight of Disney towards the various websites out there. Or indeed Disney are confident enough in their product that the pirating won't affect the sub. numbers.

• Advertisement

Haha, that's insane. I'd have presumed a global release. Unless they have their legal and IT sec. departments on Code Red; I've wondered before if the prospect of their TV shows getting pirated might finally turn the weight of Disney towards the various websites out there. Or indeed Disney are confident enough in their product that the pirating won't affect the sub. numbers.

the problem seems to have rose when disney bought fox , sky was sold to comcast which has complicated matters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Bizzare decision not to launch worldwide on same date, maybe this will be on Sky Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

peteeeed wrote: »
    no , USA, Canada & Holland on the 12th which makes no sense , rumour is Disney plus will launch in UK & Ireland next year as there are contracts in place with sky till then for a lot of the content

That's what I was thinking with the lack of info and advertising.

Ah well. I can pirate with a clear conscience as I do actually pay for their current DisneyLife offering. It's crazy to think anyone internet savvy will wait. This isn't the 90s where people had no choice but to wait!

Bizzare decision not to launch worldwide on same date, maybe this will be on Sky Atlantic?

not a chance of that i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 44,993 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm sure Disney are well aware that people will pirate it, and that people would have done so anyway. I don't think they are crazy for delaying UK/Ire release, as I doubt it is something they really want to do and they are aware of the impact the delay will have. But it is what it is.

I'm still planning on getting D+ in 2020. Its annoying it is delayed but its annoying Netflix US is different to UK and Canada and a multitude of others.

Not to say I am absolutely going to hold off on shows til D+ comes out here, but I don't think the world is ending cause I need to wait a while to sign up officially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Stupid having different release dates.

I'll be watching it the day after it's released, one way or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm sure there are logistical or contractual reasons behind not having a global release of the platform and show. Very unlikely they made the choice for no reason at all.

Financially they'd probably miss out on more money by holding off the initial release countries until all markets are ready to go than their current approach.

I'd expect the numbers of people who would have signed up for the platform but will never now is quite minimal. Those that pirate will pirate and everyone else will sign up when another show they like or when Mandalorian season 2 are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm sure there are logistical or contractual reasons behind not having a global release of the platform and show. Very unlikely they made the choice for no reason at all.

Financially they'd probably miss out on more money by holding off the initial release countries until all markets are ready to go than their current approach.

I'd expect the numbers of people who would have signed up for the platform but will never now is quite minimal. Those that pirate will pirate and everyone else will sign up when another show they like or when Mandalorian season 2 are released.

Agreed. I'm still signing up 100%, but it sucks that I have to go the illegal route to avoid spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

In this day and age to delay a release of an anticipated series, introducing a whole new character from arguably the most popular franchise is moronic and does not make sense. I was going to sign to D+ specifically for The Mandalorian as well as other star wars content etc. but now that it will not be released as it is in US, that leads me to believe that any star wars fan outside of the US and Canada is simply going to torrent it. They will take a hit financially, how they didn't consider the above makes no sense. I'm blaming Katleen :D

edit: seems as tho that tweet has been deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 44,993 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Do you think they should have delayed airing it at all until 2020? Or postpone the launch of D+ itself until 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Do you think they should have delayed airing it at all until 2020? Or postpone the launch of D+ itself until 2020?

They should have launched both at the same time the same way CBS launched its online service with Star Trek Discovery. Surely that would have been the way to do it.
    I will be in no hurry to watch it have plenty of shows to watch and coming up as it is. I will just add it to the list and watch it when I feel like it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

In this day and age to delay a release of an anticipated series, introducing a whole new character from arguably the most popular franchise is moronic and does not make sense. I was going to sign to D+ specifically for The Mandalorian as well as other star wars content etc. but now that it will not be released as it is in US, that leads me to believe that any star wars fan outside of the US and Canada is simply going to torrent it. They will take a hit financially, how they didn't consider the above makes no sense. I'm blaming Katleen :D

edit: seems as tho that tweet has been deleted

Where do you get them being hit financially? There is obviously a logistical or license issue with bringing D+ out worldwide at the same time.

The financial loss they'd take from holding off the early release countries for a later worldwide release is far larger than the proportion of people from the later countries who will now never sign up to D+ and would have if they did a worldwide release. Yes, they might stream this show but they'll sign up for later seasons, other new shows or the vast content. Those who will continue to stream are the ones who were never going to be long term D+ users anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Are all the episodes getting released at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Nope weekly release

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do love how with the small alien, voiced by Nick Nolte, the prosthetic head looks just like ... Nick Nolte :D

Nope weekly release

Ok thanks. Seems to be the way Apple is going to. Probably best when starting off when the library is small unlike Netflix and Amazon

Unearthly wrote: »
    Ok thanks. Seems to be the way Apple is going to. Probably best when starting off when the library is small unlike Netflix and Amazon

Seems to be a common misconception on this. Out of the big players, Netflix is the only outlier that releases all its own developed new shows at once. Many Amazon shows are released on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Seems to be a common misconception on this. Out of the big players, Netflix is the only outlier that releases all its own developed new shows at once. Many Amazon shows are released on a weekly basis.

Hmm no, that's not true. Amazon release their own productions all at once. They only release shows once a week that they have the rights to from other networks that are airing them weekly, but Netflix do the exact same (Better Call Saul, The Good Place). The only one of the existing streaming services that does it weekly is Hulu I think, and they are, funnily enough, owned by Disney!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hulu is a strange one. Some shows are released weekly like Castle Rock but other times they drop all at once like Runaways. Both their own series

Cina wrote: »
    Hmm no, that's not true. Amazon release their own productions all at once. They only release shows once a week that they have the rights to from other networks that are airing them weekly, but Netflix do the exact same (Better Call Saul, The Good Place). The only one of the existing streaming services that does it weekly is Hulu I think, and they are, funnily enough, owned by Disney!

Yes, it is. Some examples off the top of my head are the Romanoffs, Alpha House, and the Grand Tour. Others shows like The Tick were released in 3 or 4 episode buckets rather than a full season like Netflix.

Outside of Apple, who will do it weekly, the other current big player in streaming in CBS, that also does theirs weekly.

Yes, it is. Some examples off the top of my head are the Romanoffs, Alpha House, and the Grand Tour. Others shows like The Tick were released in 3 or 4 episode buckets rather than a full season like Netflix.

Outside of Apple, who will do it weekly, the other current big player in streaming in CBS, that also does theirs weekly.

Seems like they do it both

The Boys, The Man in the high castle, Goliath, Bosch, Hanna, Good Omens, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel and Sneaky Pete all released in one go

Appple TV + is going their own way with 3 eps a week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Regarding Disney+ launch dates in US/EMEA. Sky have tied up the rights to Disney product until sometime in 2020. As a result Disney will not be able to show their stuff in Europe until that is done. And they are not going to hold off North America, immediately before Christmas on account of Sky.

I'm sure they would have loved to launch globally if they could legally and had the could confirm their infrastructure was up to scratch.

As for weekly/all-at-once releases: While this is not the case with Disney, a lot of streaming services buy TV shows as they are being broadcast in their original country so they either wait until the show finishes its run (And hope it isn't pirated too heavily or they release it on a weekly schedule. Neflix's Designated Surviviour for example is weekly on TV in the US. But advertised as a Netflix show outside of the US. Similarly, The Bodyguard was released as a Netflix title in the US.

Personally, if there is a lot of content, I prefer the idea of old-school weekly schedule. Like any binge, after you finished and there is nothing to watch/eat, you feel hollow inside :D

• Advertisement

Regarding Disney+ launch dates in US/EMEA. Sky have tied up the rights to Disney product until sometime in 2020. As a result Disney will not be able to show their stuff in Europe until that is done. And they are not going to hold off North America, immediately before Christmas on account of Sky.
    Yes I mentioned this on an earlier page,when Disney bought fox, sky was sold to comcast
    A few reports the Disney / sky deal runs out March 2020

Advertisement