Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Botox is the most poisonous (toxic?) Substance ever known.

1kg costs a trillion dollars.

If you had 2kg of it youd have enough to kill everybody in the world.

The stuff people inject in their face is diluted to the billionth part and still kills nerves instantly

And it's been propping up the economy of Ireland's Favourite Town* and St Patrick's holiday destination of choice, for many a year now.

(A good chunk of the world's Botox supply is made in the Allergan facility in Westport)

*As voted in some survey. It is a nice spot, in fairness.

One of the better known names of the Holocaust is that of Dr Joseph Mengele, who indulged his sadism with acts of barbaric depravity perpetrated on inmates in Auschwitz, many of whom were children, and in particular twins. Mengele experimented on more than 1500 twins, of whom less than 200 survived.

Devoid of scientific rigour and without hypotheses, he injected dye into his victims eyes, performed surgeries without anesthesia, amputated, irradiated, blinded, brain damaged, and generally tortured his victims in the name of science and then justified it by categorizing his subjects as less than human and no more worthy of ethical concern than lab rodents.

His data was evaluated by his superior, a man called Otmar Von Verschuer who would often direct Mengele to perform further experiments, yet was never convicted of war crimes and went on to become a well regarded university professor.

The only positive thing that Mengele was inadvertently at least partly responsible for was the introduction of The Nuremberg Code, a ten-point code of research ethics to be applied to human experimentation, which was devised as a result of the evidence revealed at the post-war Nuremberg trials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Code

The monster who murdered so many innocent people was the spark that galvanized the movement to bring ethics oversight to science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

We always picture the moon as being just over there.

And we picture some planets as absolutely huge. Like Jupiter.

But the truth is that you could fit all our 8 planets between us and the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I'd imagine that would do wonders for the tides :P

Green olives and black olives are not different types of olives they're just picked at different times depending on ripeness, with green olives being picked first and black olives second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I tried but failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I had to look it up. It means "having no feet, or only rudimentary feet"

So to use it in a sentence "as a dancer, I am apoduos":D

retalivity wrote: »
    Just north of almeria is tabernas, one of the few deserts in europe. A lot of hollywood western films were shot there in the 50s as the desert looked more 'american' than anything in nevada/arizona - fistful of dollars was filmed there!

There are also small deserts in Poland, Serbia & Italy, and technically the majority of Iceland and Greenland are also deserts.

I was reading about the one in Poland recently - it's a fairly odd one in that it's man made. I'm not sure if it even technically qualifies as a desert on annual rainfall grounds. Medieval deforestation led to the lowering of the water table to the extent that the parched soil could no longer support any plant life and eventually turned to dust. It's been slowly but surely shrinking ever since but there are moves to protect it as a fairly unusual landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Most of the agent orange defoliant used by the US in Vietnam was actually manufactured in New Zealand (just down the road from where I live in fact), at the Dow plant in New Plymouth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

There have been a number of massive alligators spotted in Florida the past few years. The reason for this is that conservation efforts have helped their populations to rise again, and hence more mature ones are being allowed to grow to their full size. Large gators were never seen before because they were usually hunted long before they could grow to the size of the one in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If you use sound waves to burst a bubble underwater , the pop gives off a little burst of light

And nobody really has a clue why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The next door neighbour of Arnold's in Jingle All The Way (Phil Hartman) was shot in the head by his wife shortly after he went to bed (following an argument about her taking drugs). A short time later, after having told some friends what she did and while the cops were on the way, she took her own life shooting herself in the head.

I actually only found out about this a few nights ago myself right after I had watched an interview he did with Chris Farley (shortly after both left SNL) and so Google'd him to see what he had been up to since '96.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The next door neighbour of Arnold's in Jingle All The Way (Phil Hartman) was shot in the head by his wife shortly after he went to bed (following an argument about her taking drugs). A short time later, after having told some friends what she did and while the cops were on the way, she took her own life shooting herself in the head.

I actually only found out about this a few nights ago myself right after I had watched an interview he did with Chris Farley (shortly after both left SNL) and so Google'd him to see what he had been up to since '96.
    Probably best known as Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure in the Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Worst comedy sequel ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure were also "retired" by The Simpsons after his death as a tribute to him.

Great characters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah,was gonna say, who knows Phil Hartman primarily as "the neighbour in Jingle All the Way"? It's like calling Bryan Cranston that lawyer in Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It's like calling Bryan Cranston that lawyer in Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

You mean Hal from malcolm in the middle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That was Bryan Cranston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Wood doesn't burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Wood doesn't burn.

It would if you had some Chlorine triFluoride handy. You can burn concrete with that sh!t :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wood doesn't burn.

No solid does. It's the gas given off when it's heated, that burns,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You mean Tim Watley from Seinfeld?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Before his death, Phil Hartman was in talks with James L. Brooks and the Simpsons writing staff about producing a live action Troy McClure movie with Hartman in the titular role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Candie wrote: »
    One of the better known names of the Holocaust is that of Dr Joseph Mengele, who indulged his sadism with acts of barbaric depravity perpetrated on inmates in Auschwitz, many of whom were children, and in particular twins. Mengele experimented on more than 1500 twins, of whom less than 200 survived.

Devoid of scientific rigour and without hypotheses, he injected dye into his victims eyes, performed surgeries without anesthesia, amputated, irradiated, blinded, brain damaged, and generally tortured his victims in the name of science and then justified it by categorizing his subjects as less than human and no more worthy of ethical concern than lab rodents.

His data was evaluated by his superior, a man called Otmar Von Verschuer who would often direct Mengele to perform further experiments, yet was never convicted of war crimes and went on to become a well regarded university professor.

The only positive thing that Mengele was inadvertently at least partly responsible for was the introduction of The Nuremberg Code, a ten-point code of research ethics to be applied to human experimentation, which was devised as a result of the evidence revealed at the post-war Nuremberg trials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Code

The monster who murdered so many innocent people was the spark that galvanized the movement to bring ethics oversight to science.

I did remember reading before somewhere that alot of modern techniques etc into reviving those suffering from hypothermia are as a result/loosely based on nazis hypothermia exexperiments as required for luffwaffe pilots what we're recovered

The main reason being is that,it's impossible to get volunters to redo this experiments to a proper modern standred

Dunno how ture this is,I end up reading some random shyte at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I did remember reading before somewhere that alot of modern techniques etc into rewarding those suffering from hypothermia are as a result/loosely based on nazis hypothermia exexperiments as required for luffwaffe pilots what we're recovered

The main reason being is that,it's impossible to get volunters to redo this experiments to a proper modern standred

Dunno how ture this is,I end up reading some random shyte at times

Yeah I remember seeing photos of some poor guy put into an ice bath to see how long he survived the temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You mean Tim Watley from Seinfeld?

You mean Hammond Druthers from How I Met Your Mother? :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You mean Hammond Druthers from How I Met Your Mother? :D

You mean Paramedic #1 in Amazon Women on the Moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You mean Paramedic #1 in Amazon Women on the Moon?

You mean Parker Foreman/Jerry Wilber/Brian East from Murder She Wrote?

Not such a great detective after all, were you Jessica? Never spotted that this guy kept turning up under different aliases the whole time, the sneaky divil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

100 years ago today, Joe McGuinness was elected to represent the voters of South Longford in Westminster, leading to the release of all those held in jail after the Easter Rising a short while after.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/all-changed-utterly-after-south-longford-byelection-100-years-ago-today-35694291.html

The most explosive chemical know to man is called azidoazide azide.
    You may think that the military would be all over something like this but no, like this redhead I once knew, it is just too damn explosive for any practical application.
    It explodes when it's touched, the slightest heat will set it off, if you try mix it with any other substance it will likely explode, there was one case where a batch exploded just because a researcher had the audacity to take its photo with an infra red camera!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The most explosive chemical know to man is called azidoazide azide.
    You may think that the military would be all over something like this but no, like this redhead I once knew, it is just too damn explosive for any practical application.
    It explodes when it's touched, the slightest heat will set it off, if you try mix it with any other substance it will likely explode, there was one case where a batch exploded just because a researcher had the audacity to take its photo with an infra red camera!

sounds a hoot! If you are interested in really nasty chemicals this blog has been running for a few years now. The guy really knows his stuff and is really funny as well. http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement