Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curb Your Enthusiasm [Season 9]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Beersmith wrote: »
    Will it be shown here anywhere in the near future?

Sky Atlantic , 10pm tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Is this going to air on another station for those of us who don't have sky?
    Very jealous that all seasons are available on boxsets also!

It will be a while before it's on another station.

Used to be shown by TG4.

But I know you have the internet, so you can work something out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just great, like he's never been away.
    So, so funny from start to finish.
    I laughed 'til I cried when
    Larry put on the tv and the ayatollah was putting a fatwa on him, "even if he repents, even if he converts"
    Welcome back LD.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Good start to the season.

Surprised to see so many familiar faces in the supporting cast. Was this usually the case in the past few seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Duggie2012

i thought it was a poor enough first episode. it was just ok. jeez richard lewis looks like he has failed a lot. and suzy looks like she has had plastic surgery. compared to some of the classic episodes for an opener i thought it was a little weak. still cant wait for episode 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I thought the bride angle didn't work very well, but everything else was spot on. The camera is less documentary style.
    The door was ajar LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

smuckers wrote: »
    I thought the bride angle didn't work very well, but everything else was spot on. The camera is less documentary style.
    The door was ajar LOL

I noticed the camera angle had changed also, found it a little jarring.

Solid episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Also - How awesome was leon answering the phone...

"Larry David's office, what the F8ck is up"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Loved it. I hope Funkhouser is going to be in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Loved it. I hope Funkhouser is going to be in it.

Definitely needs a bit of funkhouser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Enjoyed the first one! I've added 'lampin' into my vocabulary! Love Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just watched the season opener. I am a massive curb fan but was not that impressed with this. Dont know what it is, are they trying too hard, all seems very forced or something. Also is it just me or does the latest episode look different from older seasons???? Maybe its just me. Defo agree that it needs good old Marty Funkhouser..

It looked very different but that's inevitable after so many years away.

I think the opening drone shot made it very clear it was to longer trying doing the mocumentary thing.

As I said early I found it more jarring seeing the likes of Carrie Brownstein and yer one from New Girl pop up out of nowhere.

I loved every minute of it, am I in the minority? :confused:
    Maybe I need a holiday. :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It was good, very funny in parts but wouldn't go down as a classic......the ending was a bit off and not funny at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Strong opener I thought.
    Can't wait for more..

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

s8n wrote: »
    Also - How awesome was leon answering the phone...

"Larry David's office, what the F8ck is up"

We actually had to pause it after that line, we laughed so much, I was expecting him to surprise us and Larry by being professional but he ended up doing exactly what Leon would do.

furiousox wrote: »

You're not alone, I loved it. I was really worried they'd try too hard and Larry messing around with the soap at the start was worrying me but then I remembered that that sort of thing has happened to me before and it's so annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Yeah, I thought it was a weak start but it improved towards the end once the whole Fatwa thing got going!

The beginning felt a little stilted to me though and was a rehash of previously done jokes. The soap in the shower was like the knife in the sealed pack in season 7 I think? Also the door holding thing was kinda telegraphed as well and had been done jokes with a lift episode before.

Still enjoyed it though & great to see him back on screen, easily my favourite comedy series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Would be firmly in the weak camp myself. The whole lesbian wedding thing fell flat and the Fatwa segments, while promising, didn't ultimately have a lot of laughs. Too many of the angry scenes didn't have any corresponding lightening humour, which I've never seen as an issue before. Some decent moments alright, I thought the ending was as good as it could have been, but overall I'd probably chalk it down as the weakest episode yet. Hopefully can only move upwards from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

furiousox wrote: »

I also loved every minute of it. I thought it was brilliant. Classic Lar.
    The man is a pure comedic genius.
    I just love the way he basically touched on every single cliché taboo subject possible, and made them all funny.
    All in the first episode.
    How I have missed him !!!!

Pretty, pretty, pretty disappointed with that last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I have really enjoyed both episodes , all the people complaining I think they just like to complain , curb is back people just lie back and enjoy it !

Episode 2 was ok.
    Didn't have me "lolling" as much as ep1.
    We did have the return of Funkhouser though! :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just watched it and i don't get what people people are complaining about.

The lefty conversation with Funkhauser and seeing Mary on her date had me in stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

So far not great for me, not a patch on some of the older episodes unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Really good deleted clip of the fruit with stones bit. 'A fu*ckin' fruit safe?'
    Nearly better than anything in that episode.

No more than a B from with the first episode being a B+

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Duggie2012

that second episode was class i thought. back to its best after a poor first episode for me. i laughed all the way through the second episode. leon was very funny in it. "larry there going to cut your fcking feet off and put them in your back pockets and cut your fcking hands off and put them in your front pockets"..ha! soppy johnson...brilliant episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

Good episode but its still lacking for me. Some of the gags fall flat IMo but maybe Im grading it too hard after previous seasons set the bar so high.

Love Leon and Funkman being back. Leon's ab libbing is fantastic, he always is so quick witted, he steals the show.

I loved the hotel bits and loved the bits with Marty. I didnt like the protection guy whom Leon brought in and the fruit bit, it just felt so unrealistic.

Advertisement