Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gear issues with new bike

• 26-08-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Got a new bike recently...its great, but I have some issues with the gears and being completely new to cycling, im not sure if this is me or the bike :o

Firstly, there are 3 gears on the front and 8 on the back. When I got the bike, they told me that mostly i should be in gear 2 on the front, and between 3-6 on the back, which works fine.

However, going up hills I go to gear 1 on the front and between 1-3 on the back. But there is always this clicking noise as i'm pedalling on this gear? Is that normal. Also, a few times it comes off the chain when I shift to Gear 1 (in the front), so now im kind of reluctant to use that as I find it hard to get the chain back on. :(

Is the clicking noise normal? As for coming off the chain when going to Gear 1, is it me doing something wrong or a bike issue. It is a brand new bike (trek 7.2)

Thanks for any replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

If your chain is coming off at the front when you shift into 'gear 1', the limit screws probably need adjusting. That's my guess.

The clicking noise is more than likely the chain rubbing off your front derailleur. If your bike is still quite new bring it back to the shop and ask them to tune your gears property. It could also just be the bike 'settling in', you're supposed to get a bike checked out a few weeks after you get it to make sure every things working.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sounds like they need tuning. It's normal after a couple of weeks as the cables stretch a little.

There are lots of good video tutorials online.

I'd say the clicking is the rear derailleur on the verge of a gear change, which tuning would fix.

The chain coming off is definitely the limit screws being wrong which shouldn't really be happening if it was set up correctly by the shop (it doesn't change as the cables stretch).

Advertisement