Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

As a Train Driver also, I'd be very interested to know what has attracted people to the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Can't speak for Irish rail specifically, but I've seen this in several public sectors that have had long term recruitment bans or no recruitment other than internal/nepotism or years.
    Lack of new staff and positive work attitudes leads to large build up of poor morale and negativity.

Don't expect a warm welcome from the current long term staff. You're fresh meat off the street and will be treated with contempt in many cases.
    You might be viewed as "stealing overtime, taking jobs that should have gone internally, too enthusiastic, willing to do everything management tells you to do."
    Expect insane amounts of internal drama and pisspoor work ethic and incompetent management on levels you've never thought possible..

Maybe thats not the case for Irish Rail but it's what I see in so many public sectors including transport ones, So just be prepared lads & ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

Can't speak for Irish rail specifically, but I've seen this in several public sectors that have had long term recruitment bans or no recruitment other than internal/nepotism or years.
    Lack of new staff and positive work attitudes leads to large build up of poor morale and negativity.

Don't expect a warm welcome from the current long term staff. You're fresh meat off the street and will be treated with contempt in many cases.
    You might be viewed as "stealing overtime, taking jobs that should have gone internally, too enthusiastic, willing to do everything management tells you to do."
    Expect insane amounts of internal drama and pisspoor work ethic and incompetent management on levels you've never thought possible..

Maybe thats not the case for Irish Rail but it's what I see in so many public sectors including transport ones, So just be prepared lads & ladies.

I can only say the opposite.
    Everyone I've encountered has been welcoming and new drivers on the roster means the existing ones have a better chance of getting holidays they want, so they seem happy enough about us coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

I’ve never heard such bull**** in my whole life. You must be a ray of sunshine for your colleagues every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

MrBumBum wrote: »
    I can only say the opposite.
    Everyone I've encountered has been welcoming and new drivers on the roster means the existing ones have a better chance of getting holidays they want, so they seem happy enough about us coming in.

I'm glad thats the case.

I’ve never heard such bull**** in my whole life. You must be a ray of sunshine for your colleagues every day

You've never heard it, because you've never experienced it. It happens and I was thinking the same might be the case for IR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

I’m over 25 years in IR and I’ve never once encountered this type of attitude.
    I was an outsider once too and I was welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Out of curiosity, whst qualifications are needed for drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hiring Revenue Protection staff nationwide now. 40k very generous for such a job...

https://www.irishrail.ie/About-Us/Company-Information/Career-Opportunities-at-Iarnrod-Eireann/revenue-protection-officers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Hiring Revenue Protection staff nationwide now. 40k very generous for such a job...

https://www.irishrail.ie/About-Us/Company-Information/Career-Opportunities-at-Iarnrod-Eireann/revenue-protection-officers

Greater Dublin Area not nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I'm glad thats the case.

You've never heard it, because you've never experienced it. It happens and I was thinking the same might be the case for IR.

It’s not.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

No harm.

No harm.

A guard starts on about 31k and max is about 52k so there is no real cost difference so IE should be making a stronger case for transport police which should including funding it. They must have about 40 RPU staff. If half were guards they would be far more affective.

I don't think RPU would have had such a good night without guards here.

https://extra.ie/2019/11/16/news/irish-news/one-person-arrested-for-drug-misuse-and-fare-dodgers-found-on-kildare-train

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Danger money.

A guard starts on about 31k and max is about 52k so there is no real cost difference so IE should be making a stronger case for transport police which should including funding it. They must have about 40 RPU staff. If half were guards they would be far more affective.

I don't think RPU would have had such a good night without guards here.

https://extra.ie/2019/11/16/news/irish-news/one-person-arrested-for-drug-misuse-and-fare-dodgers-found-on-kildare-train
    Maybe their priority is protecting Revenue.
    Maybe it’s two different debates.
    Maybe they could do both.
    Who knows.....

Just to add it’s the same pay scale as the current staff are on. Can’t be discriminating against the new recruits now, can we.
    Also if there is a job in Irish Rail which deserves a good salary it’s that one.

Maybe their priority is protecting Revenue.
    Maybe it’s two different debates.
    Maybe they could do both.
    Who knows.....

Just to add it’s the same pay scale as the current staff are on. Can’t be discriminating against the new recruits now, can we.
    Also if there is a job in Irish Rail which deserves a good salary it’s that one.

They could do both and one guard and a revenue inspector is far more effective than 2, 3 or 4 inspectors.

I well aware you shouldn't discriminate however transport unions (SIPTU) have demonstrated they are happy to do it to protect existing members in the past. New drivers on the Luas were cut pay to pay the older ones more.
    Danger money.

They would have to go after the dangerous ones in the first place to justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Danger money.
    Should double it it for that job.

Some of the weapon's on the trains these days are mentality unstable.

They could do both and one guard and a revenue inspector is far more effective than 2, 3 or 4 inspectors.

I well aware you shouldn't discriminate however transport unions (SIPTU) have demonstrated they are happy to do it to protect existing members in the past. New drivers on the Luas were cut pay to pay the older ones more.

They would have to go after the dangerous ones in the first place to justify that.

Sorry don’t get your first point. When guards were on trains they were almost invisible.

Agreed on your second point. SIPTU, and unions in general do not practice what they say is on the tin. And that’s putting it politely.

Respectively your last point I find strange to say the least. I would consider that job the most dangerous within IE. They don’t have to go looking for danger, it normally finds them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Recieved an email from Irish Rail this morning confirming I am still in the running. I was unable to make the phase 1 assessment I was invited to a few months ago. End of September. Good to be back in with a shout. Presume they will probably not do any more this side of Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Moshman

Deedsie wrote: »
    Recieved an email from Irish Rail this morning confirming I am still in the running. I was unable to make the phase 1 assessment I was invited to a few months ago. End of September. Good to be back in with a shout. Presume they will probably not do any more this side of Christmas?

Nice one, best of luck

Sorry don’t get your first point. When guards were on trains they were almost invisible.

Agreed on your second point. SIPTU, and unions in general do not practice what they say is on the tin. And that’s putting it politely.

Respectively your last point I find strange to say the least. I would consider that job the most dangerous within IE. They don’t have to go looking for danger, it normally finds them.

You don't need to tell me about invisible staff on trains. Only the driver does any work. I was referring to a Garda.

The job has dangers however most staff steer away from most trouble (rightly so) and target well shall we say the easier picking for fines.

The current revenue protection policy is ineffective. Groups of 5-6 working maybe 4-5 days a week for a shift is completely pointless.

Hence why transport police with one inspector would be far more effective to protect revenue.
    Should double it it for that job.

Some of the weapon's on the trains these days are mentality unstable.

Cost v Benefit and I think the case for doubling would not make sense. Saving by scrapping RPU all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

I have applied for a Gatekeepers position in the Waterford/Tipperary area.

Would anybody have any info on how long they will take to get back to me ?
    what the job itself is like ?
    what the wages might be ?
    if its full time work ?

What kind of people do they usually go for ?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

tbarry31 wrote: »

if its full time work ?

thanks in advance

Where did you see it advertised?

if its full time work ?

thanks in advance

https://www.irishrail.ie/About-Us/Company-Information/Career-Opportunities-at-Iarnrod-Eireann/gatekeeper-maynooth-waterford-tipperary

Its starts around 25k up to max of 34k. On more rural lines its probably not a bad earner but those on Maynooth are kept busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

I'm guessing that if there advertising now that there is a position available now or very near in the future. Was thinking about this and wondering if whoever gets this position does the company pay for fuel for travelling between gates ?

I'm guessing that if there advertising now that there is a position available now or very near in the future. Was thinking about this and wondering if whoever gets this position does the company pay for fuel for travelling between gates ?

I don't know how it works exactly but you will likely be stationed at one crossing full time and only be required to move for eg to cover as needed.

Yes. Two positions available at present. More to come online next Spring.
    They are relief positions covering crossings on the Waterford limerick junction line as far as a couple of gates past Clonmel.
    39 hr contract but always plenty of overtime available.
    Expenses are paid at approximately €7.00 per day.
    It’s basically an entry level job with good opportunities to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Can anyone shed light on the stages of the recruitment process?

I done online assessments back in January which I passed.
    Today, I was in Inchicore doing assessments. We were told that those who passed would be back in mid-January for the next stage. I felt I done pretty good in the assessments today.

What happens after that?
    More assessments?
    Interview & Medicals?

Could the successful applicant be offered a role as early as say March or April 2020?

Also, the testing documents from today had the heading Locomotive Driver. Does that I couldn't be selected for the DART if I was successful?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Can anyone shed light on the stages of the recruitment process?

I done online assessments back in January which I passed.
    Today, I was in Inchicore doing assessments. We were told that those who passed would be back in mid-January for the next stage. I felt I done pretty good in the assessments today.

What happens after that?
    More assessments?
    Interview & Medicals?

Could the successful applicant be offered a role as early as say March or April 2020?

Also, the testing documents from today had the heading Locomotive Driver. Does that I couldn't be selected for the DART if I was successful?

Thanks

I'm in next week.. Just had a look over the test samples there now. Did they do everything in those samples today, including the face to face interview with examples of certain situations you've been in etc, or is that at a later date?

Good luck with the call back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Still Ill wrote: »
    I'm in next week.. Just had a look over the test samples there now. Did they do everything in those samples today, including the face to face interview with examples of certain situations you've been in etc, or is that at a later date?

Harder and faster. Time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Still Ill wrote: »

I did 3 tests. Read the email they sent you, they should have said what tests you will be taking.

1st test was reading a passage for 10mins, then answering 30 questions without the reading material. Basically trying to remember rules & regulations.

2nd test was answering 40 questions about cables/dials as you might see in the drivers cabin. You don't need prior experience, you are basically reading the diagram and determining what cable takes priority and in what order. It will all be explained to you on the day

3rd test was an audio of a driver reporting an incident. You hear it twice and take notes. Then write a report on it (with notes in front of you)

There was no face to face interview or anything. That must be at a later date if you are successful at testing

Advertisement