Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He’s been in both Jaimie and Tyrion’s company countless times. The guard would know him.

Would have thought that was obvious.

It might have been, if Jamie and Tyrion didn't have cause to be suspicious as to where he was or what he was up to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It might have been, if Jamie and Tyrion didn't have cause to be suspicious as to where he was or what he was up to.

They have no cause to be suspicious he’s come to both their aid and saved them a few times.

I think that also goes some way to bran knowing he’s a good guy at heart. Or the writers didn’t Wanna kill him off cos he’s such a fan Favorite

Tony EH wrote: »
    So what? That time has passed. Westeros is in a different state now after a war. As we leave the show, they're trying to get things back together. It doesn't mean that things will stay like that.

We won't know though as we won't see any more of it.

Again, so what?

Things don't wrap up neatly in real life either. These complaints just tell me that you're just unhappy because you didn't get the ending you wrote yourself.

Maybe Jon Snow at the end of it all just feels he's better off at the wall.

Again. It doesn't mean he's going to stay there forever. But we'll never know.

This is a thread specifically asking what people thought about GOT Season 8. The reason it got it's own thread, is because it generated a vast amount of commentary and not least from those involved in the show who expressed at minimum disappointment, if not outright disgust at how it played out.

Nobody expects everything to be neat and perfect, nobody is suggesting a show about Dragons and 700ft ice walls and night kings raising people from the death to fight in their army should be more real in terms of mirroring real life but we were used to a show performing in a certain way and it changed dramatically.

Say you went to the same place every year on holiday. Loved it for 5 years, food, weather, locals, other tourists etc. Then you went and all the restaurants had changed to fast food outlets, all other tourists were stag parties from Essex and the locals were all hawking tack all day.

Would you say that not every holiday could be perfect, or be disappointed at the range and strength of the change?

They have no cause to be suspicious he’s come to both their aid and saved them a few times.

I think that also goes some way to bran knowing he’s a good guy at heart. Or the writers didn’t Wanna kill him off cos he’s such a fan Favorite

His behaviour at the fight for Tyrion at the vale would counter that he is a good guy at heart. He said so himself.

So what? The previous time has passed and has the way of doing things. Westeros is in a different state now after a war. As we leave the show, they're trying to get things back together. It doesn't mean that things will stay like that.

We won't know though as we won't see any more of it.

Again, so what?

Things don't wrap up neatly in real life either. These complaints just tell me that you're just unhappy because you didn't get the ending you wrote yourself.

Maybe Jon Snow at the end of it all just feels he's better off at the wall.

Again. It doesn't mean he's going to stay there forever. But we'll never know.

I'm getting strong vibes here that you do not care one bit about the characters or the plot. And you're happy to dismiss valid criticism as nitpicking after declaring there wasn't any valid criticism that couldn't be countered.

#5: The North's defensive formation was actually set up as if they were going to siege Winterfell. The trench was behind the army. The cavalry out front. The siege weapons out front. If every soldier and horse did a 180, it would look like a siege formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is a thread specifically asking what people thought about GOT Season 8. The reason it got it's own thread, is because it generated a vast amount of commentary and not least from those involved in the show who expressed at minimum disappointment, if not outright disgust at how it played out.

Nobody expects everything to be neat and perfect, nobody is suggesting a show about Dragons and 700ft ice walls and night kings raising people from the death to fight in their army should be more real in terms of mirroring real life but we were used to a show performing in a certain way and it changed dramatically.

Say you went to the same place every year on holiday. Loved it for 5 years, food, weather, locals, other tourists etc. Then you went and all the restaurants had changed to fast food outlets, all other tourists were stag parties from Essex and the locals were all hawking tack all day.

would you say that not every holiday could be perfect, or be disappointed at the range and strength of the change.

Fine. Be disappointed.

But I see nothing that's so bad in S8 that it warrants the ridiculous meltdown that's occurred. It's been downright pathetic, to be perfectly honest.

Are there legitimate flaws, yes. Just as there is in every TV show and film.

But even in the last few pages, most of the complaints are silly nitpicking, and simple whining because the ending didn't turn out the way some people wanted.

Complaining about Jon Snow going back to the wall is silly.

Complaining about Daenerys going all Vietnam is silly.

Complaining about Jaime Lannister going back to Cersei is silly.

Now, people can dislike those outcomes and that's fair enough. But losing the head over them is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

It's possible to offer explanations for all the plotholes in S7 and S8 as indeed I imagine the writers did as they came up with this nonsense. But the real question is whether any of the explanations offered here by Tony EH are credible. They're clearly not but to each his own I guess.

I'm getting strong vibes here that you do not care one bit about the characters or the plot.

The characters and plot were fine for the most part. But I was just watching a story and allowed it to take me where it went.

Not where I wanted it to go. ;)
    And you're happy to dismiss valid criticism as nitpicking after declaring there wasn't any valid criticism that couldn't be countered.

The vast majority of what I've seen has JUST been nitpicking and people not getting the story they wanted to write themselves.
    #5: The North's defensive formation was actually set up as if they were going to siege Winterfell. The trench was behind the army. The cavalry out front. The siege weapons out front. If every soldier and horse did a 180, it would look like a siege formation.

I've already said the show isn't renowned for its battle tactics. But, no fantasy is.

Again, if that's going to kill it for you, it should have done it well before S8.

Mousewar wrote: »
    It's possible to offer explanations for all the plotholes in S7 and S8 as indeed I imagine the writers did as they came up with this nonsense. But the real question is whether any of the explanations offered here by Tony EH are credible. They're clearly not but to each his own I guess.

Again, this is JUST A STATEMENT with no backup.

Look, sod this. You lot don't like it.

And that's fine.

I can acknowledge the flaws throughout the entire show. But nothing I've seen in S8 that should equal the ridiculous states some people have gotten themselves in over it.

When GRRM gets around to finishing off his books, you may all be disappointed again.

• Advertisement

The characters and plot were fine for the most part. But I was just watching a story and allowed it to take me where it went.

Not where I wanted it to go. ;)

The vast majority of what I've seen has JUST been nitpicking and people not getting the story they wanted to write themselves.

I've already said the show isn't renowned for its battle tactics. But, no fantasy is.

Again, if that's going to kill it for you, it should have done it well before S8.

The battle formation was done like that so we could see the Dothraki swords go out in the dark. You might think that's worth it but most don't. We've had the Dothraki for eight seasons and they're wasted on a light show. Oh but wait, they're not. They're still alive. Woo.

When you say you were just interested in the story, I guess that means the dragons and White Walkers. Not the actual characters and their arcs, or the politics.

#6: The Night King getting killed because Arya somehow trampolined over all the other White Walkers.

Would 7&8 stop you from watching it again?

Question for the room

Question for the room

Yes, absolutely. I would never recommend the show to anyone.

The battle formation was done like that so we could see the Dothraki swords go out in the dark. You might think that's worth it but most don't. We've had the Dothraki for eight seasons and they're wasted on a light show. Oh but wait, they're not. They're still alive. Woo.

When you say you were just interested in the story, I guess that means the dragons and White Walkers. Not the actual characters and their arcs, or the politics.

#6: The Night King getting killed because Arya somehow trampolined over all the other White Walkers.

Again, just more nitpicking.

BTW, formations have been wasted in battle in real life. ;)

And the show has LITERALLY been setting Arya up as a stealthy assassin.

Did you even watch the show?

You're light on backup yourself other than just saying 'get over it'.

Irrespective of individual views, any show which ends with the main characters as browned off about the manner of it (not that it ended per say) aas happened here would be backup to support the view that it took a nosedive.

Here, we have numerous examples and a ticked off cast. It was entertaining. But it knocked at least one grade off the entire series for me. A+ gone to A- in my view, maybe even A flat.

Question for the room

Good question.
    No. But I might not watch season 8 as readily. Had binged watch all proceeeding seasons every christmas for the last couple of years.

Nor would I not recommend people don't watch it. But I would definitely expect them to be equally disappointed. And if they asked me my view on season 8 before they committed to watching, I'd tell them to expect to be disappointed.

You're light on backup yourself other than just saying 'get over it'.

I'm not the one making the complaints.
    It was entertaining. But it knocked at least one grade off the entire series for me. A+ gone to A- in my view, maybe even A flat.

An A rated show can hardly be considered "crap".

Question for the room

I would tell people to watch it an make up their own minds. Pretty much like I've been telling people to do so since it started and most folk thought it was just Game of Tits for lonely Tolkien nerds.

Thank you for a perfect example of how it fell apart.

See the way they handled her killing Ser Meryn Trant, or Walder Frey. There was depth to the plot, intrigue, subtlety.

The night king was just a moment of improvisation after trying to ambush him from behind. It was as much in line with the ethos of the faceless men of Braavos as a helicopter flying in and taking him out.

If she had died, been subsumed in to his army, and then assassinated him, it would have been more entertaining, if still a bit off.

An A rated show can hardly be considered "crap".

Definitely not. But that is the whole series. The final season gets a low c in my view.

• Advertisement

It's nitpicking to question how the death of the White Walkers played out? Are trolling or what? The show did not set up Arya's character to be able to catapult herself over a bunch of White Walkers like that. The behind the scenes picture show that she had to jump of a big table and get carried through the air with a cable.

The showmakers admit making that decision a couple of years ago simply because it would be a big surprise. It didn't work well because it was never meant to.

#7: Dragon fire bursting through walls in King's Landing, but Jon being able to hide behind a little rock with Viseryon a metre away blazing fire at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I provided multiple points and videos, one of which goes into great detail on episode 3. If you are not willing to engage in the discussion then there's no point in continuing.

Thank you for a perfect example of how it fell apart.

See the way they handled her killing Ser Meryn Trant, or Walder Frey. There was depth to the plot, intrigue, subtlety.

The night kink was just a moment of improvisation after trying to ambush him from behind. It was as much in line with the ethos of the faceless men of Braavos as a helicopter flying in and taking him out.

Arya killed the Night King. You'll just have to get over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's nitpicking to question how the death of the White Walkers played out? Are trolling or what? The show did not set up Arya's character to be able to catapult herself over a bunch of White Walkers like that. The behind the scenes picture show that she had to jump of a big table and get carried through the air with a cable.

The showmakers admit making that decision a couple of years ago simply because it would be a big surprise. It didn't work well because it was never meant to.

#7: Dragon fire bursting through walls in King's Landing, but Jon being able to hide behind a little rock with Viseryon a metre away blazing fire at him.

They kinda forgot about Arya's training with the faceless men after she murdered an entire house seemingly.

Don't become like me the Hound says to her after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Question for the room

S7, no. It was there massive cracks started to appear when they suddenly started wrapping it up super quickly and went full blown brainless blockbuster with it, but it was still reasonably good with some great moments. S8 is seriously crap from episodes 3 to 6 and I would never watch the show again, for me it's up there with infamous things like Lost and Dexter, great shows whose last seasons were mind bogglingly bad. I can't believe some people think it's all nitpicking with GOT S8 either. The season didn't just sully my opinion of GOT, it destroyed it entirely. And it's nothing to do with storylines and everything to do with how they went about it.

I'm pissed off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No time left to explain how you got there who you are or why we are going to kill you but let's spend more than half of each episode on how pretty each of you are oh and let's turn the inspirational pivotal heroine into a bitch let's turn the evil Queen into a victim and let's **** up the biggest single combat most anticipated battle of the entire ****ing series let's make it an upstairs climbing lightsaber battle without the lightsaber our new master the mouse will sue if we use those.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Clegane bowl should never of happened.

Clegane bowl should never of happened.

If it hadn’t I think you just found a whole new layer of what people would have been furious about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

So they rush the ending to go off and make Star Wars but then that falls through.......

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/

Advertisement