Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

dudara wrote: »
    I loathe shop bought marzipan

Is it because of the almond % been low?

limnam wrote: »

For me it’s the over use of almond essence. I much prefer the homemade one with no almond essence. And I prefer the Royal icing. Though, both are wasted on my lot as I’m the only one that would eat the icing. I didn’t bother last year, but I like the tradition of icing and putting on decades old decorations!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

limnam wrote: »

It tastes artificial, nowhere as good as making marzipan from scratch. Ditto for shop-bought fondant icing. It’s like eating wallpaper paste with sugar mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I made the baileys fudge on Thursday evening and its very wet, freaking delicious but very wet. The condensed milk had 395gms in it but I didn't think such little extra would have such a big effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

For those of you yet to make you're Christmas puddings, I stream mine overnight in the oven.

Method:

Wrap your puddings firstly in cling film, ( lid on pudding bowl )
    Wrap it again in tin foil.
    Boil the kettle
    Preheat oven
    Stand your puddings in your deep oven tray
    Half fill tray with boiling water.
    Seal the tray completely with tin foil.

When I take up the puddings the water is still in the tray because it's comepletely sealed.
    Perfect no fuss pudding!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

now online wrote: »
    For those of you yet to make you're Christmas puddings, I stream mine overnight in the oven.

Method:

Boil the kettle
    Preheat oven

When I take up the puddings the water is still in the tray because it's comepletely sealed.
    Perfect no fuss pudding!

To what temp?

To what temp?

140 conventional oven sorry!

Method:

Boil the kettle
    Preheat oven

Perfect no fuss pudding!

I tried this but found it difficult and a bit dangerous. I’m not a spring chicken any more and suffer from arthritis. To seal the tray properly you’ve got to do it on worktop and then lift into the oven.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

140 conventional oven sorry!

Thank you kindly :)

I tried this but found it difficult and a bit dangerous. I’m not a spring chicken any more and suffer from arthritis. To seal the tray properly you’ve got to do it on worktop and then lift into the oven.

Yes you do, it's cumbersome but I still do it!

• Advertisement

Yes you do, it's cumbersome but I still do it!

Ah, to be young and fit! As Peig once said “I am an old woman now, with one foot in the grave and the other on its edge”

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I saw Catherine Lyden, Odlums Queen of Baking, so the oven method of pudding cooking on
    TV3 last Weds.....It looked easy, but you would have a fairly heavy and hot load going into
    oven. Still to make mine... We were in my sisters during the week, and we were discussing favourite things to eat. My other half said it was Christmas Pudding, to which my sister said,
    and your wife does.nt even make you one. Shame on me...LOL.....
    I have a mix for 2 cakes marinading nicely... I.m going to line the tin over the weekend, and
    when I have half an hour to spare I.l throw it together next week and get them done. One each day. Looking forward to the nice smell in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I saw Catherine Lyden, Odlums Queen of Baking, so the oven method of pudding cooking on
    TV3 last Weds.....It looked easy, but you would have a fairly heavy and hot load going into
    oven. Still to make mine... We were in my sisters during the week, and we were discussing favourite things to eat. My other half said it was Christmas Pudding, to which my sister said,
    and your wife does.nt even make you one. Shame on me...LOL.....
    I have a mix for 2 cakes marinading nicely... I.m going to line the tin over the weekend, and
    when I have half an hour to spare I.l throw it together next week and get them done. One each day. Looking forward to the nice smell in the house.
    Am a novice to Christmas cake baking, so looking for tips! How long & what do u marinade (dried fruit?) in ? Thanks

Icsics wrote: »
    Am a novice to Christmas cake baking, so looking for tips! How long & what do u marinade (dried fruit?) in ? Thanks

I use juice and rind of an orange and lemon plus a glass of whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I use juice and rind of an orange and lemon plus a glass of whiskey.

Thanks Maryanne, for how long?

Icsics wrote: »
    Thanks Maryanne, for how long?

Anything from a few hours to a few days. If it’s days, leave in fridge. The smell in the house will be amazing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I leave my Christmas cake fruit soak overnight in an airtight container in whiskey, golden syrup, the juice and rind of an orange and a lemon, a grated apple and nutmeg, cinnamon and mixed spice. It smells fabulous the next morning!

Posy wrote: »
    I leave my Christmas cake fruit soak overnight in an airtight container in whiskey, golden syrup, the juice and rind of an orange and a lemon, a grated apple and nutmeg, cinnamon and mixed spice. It smells fabulous the next morning!

I swear I can smell this just from reading it!! Mmmmmmm smells like Christmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

We made the Jamie Oliver mulled wine at the weekend whilst decorating. I had to double up on some ingredient as they were not achieving the right flavour, a year in the press will do that I think.

I do what I suppose you.r not supposed to do. I put the fruit, rind/juice of orange and lemon, grated cooking apple, spices,
    and plenty of whiskey into a bowl and mix well. I.v left them in bowl for up to a week, until I.v half an hour to put together.
    I.v always thought, that with the booze in the mix it wont go off..... The smell from the bowl is now amazing and the fruit
    is gloriously plumped and juicy now. Aim to bake tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Baked one of my Christmas cakes today....the smell is just devine in the house. Plan to do the 2nd one tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 melsmum

Method:

Boil the kettle
    Preheat oven

Perfect no fuss pudding!

I'm late to the Christmas baking party!
    I've always done Christmas puddings in a slow cooker! You prepare them the same as if you were going to boil them on the cooker, cover in greaseproof and foil, pre heat the slow cooker, put the pudding in and fill the cooker with boiling water to about 2/3 of the way up the pudding bowl. Cook it on high. You might have to top up the water once during cooking, so keep an eye on it when it's been going for a few hours.

melsmum wrote: »
    I'm late to the Christmas baking party!
    I've always done Christmas puddings in a slow cooker! You prepare them the same as if you were going to boil them on the cooker, cover in greaseproof and foil, pre heat the slow cooker, put the pudding in and fill the cooker with boiling water to about 2/3 of the way up the pudding bowl. Cook it on high. You might have to top up the water once during cooking, so keep an eye on it when it's been going for a few hours.

I’ve actually done this but cooked on low. No need to top up and perfectly cooked pub after 8 hours.

4oz flour
    4oz brown sugar
    2oz ground almonds
    12oz breadcrumbs
    8oz cherries
    4oz mixed peel
    1 bag sultanaa
    1 bag curr
    1 bag raisins
    2 tsp mixed spices
    2 tsp nutmeg
    2 tsp cinnamon
    peel of an orange
    pinch of salt
    chopped apple and carrot (optional)
    5 eggs
    1/2 pint stout
    1/2 glass whiskey/brandy
    227g marg melted and cooled
    juice of an orange

method
    mix all wet ingredients together
    mix all dry ingredients
    combine both
    makes 2x2 pint pudding or 1 large

cover with grease proof paper
    wrap in tinfoil
    place in oven dish
    boil water and fill 3/4 ways up oven dish
    cover whole oven tray in tinfoil effectively trapping in the boiling water (steaming)
    place in bottom tray of your oven
    cook for 7 hours gas 2 140 conventional for 7 hours (overnight)

This is what I'm doing for the last 15 years, I never leave the fruit to soak and it's the tastiest moistest pudding!
    I'd love if someone would try this method and let me know what they think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

4oz flour
    4oz brown sugar
    2oz ground almonds
    12oz breadcrumbs
    8oz cherries
    4oz mixed peel
    1 bag sultanaa
    1 bag curr
    1 bag raisins
    2 tsp mixed spices
    2 tsp nutmeg
    2 tsp cinnamon
    peel of an orange
    pinch of salt
    chopped apple and carrot (optional)
    5 eggs
    1/2 pint stout
    1/2 glass whiskey/brandy
    227g marg melted and cooled
    juice of an orange

method
    mix all wet ingredients together
    mix all dry ingredients
    combine both
    makes 2x2 pint pudding or 1 large

cover with grease proof paper
    wrap in tinfoil
    place in oven dish
    boil water and fill 3/4 ways up oven dish
    cover whole oven tray in tinfoil effectively trapping in the boiling water (steaming)
    place in bottom tray of your oven
    cook for 7 hours gas 2 140 conventional for 7 hours (overnight)

This is what I'm doing for the last 15 years, I never leave the fruit to soak and it's the tastiest moistest pudding!
    I'd love if someone would try this method and let me know what they think?

What is curr? I've never heard of it!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    What is curr? I've never heard of it!

I’d imagine currants. I never use them. Too gritty for my liking. There’s a lot of spices in that recipe and no almonds.

I’d imagine currants. I never use them. Too gritty for my liking. There’s a lot of spices in that recipe and no almonds.

Yes , it should read currants!
    There is almonds 2oz of ground.
    I sometimes substitute the currants for mixed fruit.

Just putting it out there in case anyone wanted a recipe. ( originally odlums from way back)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Oh yeah, that would make sense lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Those cheese cakes look amazing!!!

I'm making all my puddings this weekend (so late, I know!) And it's the first time I've attempted a gluten free one so fingers crossed it turns out well.

Advertisement