Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2019, 12:06   #46
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigura View Post
" ..... how it handles various tasks ..... will only limit what your PC can do. "

What's that mean, please? My machines sole task is to get me in here. And let me watch stuff on Netflix. Am I missing something?
Best I can do is give a comparison .....
You need to buy a car to go from A to B
You have a lot of choice with different specifications such as performance, comfort and ancillaries etc etc.

If you are happy tootling along your journey at max 90 Kph then you have no need to buy a performance car.
If you want performance then something else will suffer .... maybe cost of ownership, or extra space or whatever.

YOU choose the vehicle that suits YOUR purpose.

For instance you want to watch Netflix ..... but at what 'level'?
Do you require 720p video, or 1080p video or maybe 4K video?

You must ensure your PC is capable of producing the results YOU desire.
That is YOUR buying decision.

There is no point in buying a PC with a very low end CPU and low RAM and expecting it to perform like a PC with a high end CPU and lots of RAM.

Quote:
As an aside; Just looked up " SSD ". Wow! Scary! I see they reckon an average HDD's likely to fart and die at three years old?! Blimey! I don't think we'd better go there, just yet, though. I'm a numb nut and this is already a helluva lot for me to take in.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 12:37   #47
Stigura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
For instance you want to watch Netflix ..... but at what 'level'?
Do you require 720p video, or 1080p video or maybe 4K video?

Okay. Just been searching about, in Netflix. Can't find anywhere where it gives me any choices

On Liveleak, I have the option of 700+ or 300+. 700 simply isn't happening! On you tube, given the option, 240 is fine by me.

Presently, I'm watching a serial, on flix? It's annoying that ~ and I'm only really noticing it with this one. Others serials have been fine ~ the action will freeze, while the dialogue - even the sub titles - keep going.

Then, it comes back and someone's crossed a room, chattering away. I heard them. But, I was watching their frozen image.

I'm guessing That has something to do with the guts of this machine? Can't see the stand by machine (the guts of which I listed, much earlier) being incredibly better. But, weighing up an annoyance with flix, against hundreds of yo's on a flashy new machine ....?!

Anyway; I'm starkly aware how this could morph into a thread about all sorts of aspects of machines. I don't want that and , I'm pretty sure, you won't. I'm actually busily googling much of what ye talking about, to save asking. Just trying to get my empty head around where we've got to, thus far.

This may sound like a silly question but; I'm taking it ripping 7 out of my stand by machine will free up a lot of the workings. Space and memory, all that. Cool. Just wondering how one then makes it work, to get Linux on there? Or do I install Linux, using 7. Then rip 7 out?

Tell ye what? I Know I'm a lunatic, where computers are concerned. But, I have the better part of a centuries experience with rat catching. Ever need any advice around that sort of thing? I'll type day and night!
19-11-2019, 15:14   #48
Johnboy1951

You should try the live OS on the back up machine.
Notice how it operates and try to do things like connect to Netflix as that seems to be the thing you want that would use most resources.

Quote:
This may sound like a silly question but; I'm taking it ripping 7 out of my stand by machine will free up a lot of the workings. Space and memory, all that. Cool. Just wondering how one then makes it work, to get Linux on there? Or do I install Linux, using 7. Then rip 7 out?
You do not install one operating system from within another one, so forget that!

Ripping 7 out will only free up HDD space and do nothing else.
You might well need that space .... or maybe not .... depending on the hardware in that backup PC.
7 will not be in play when running the other OS.

To install Linux you run it 'live' as you have done, and use the 'install' icon to start the install process.
You do need to be sure which install option you want, and to have previously backed up any files you do not wish to lose, to a different storage device such as a USB connected HDD.

When running 'live', launch the application called
"Konsole", or "Terminal" (depends on version which name it goes by)
and type in exactly the following command, followed by hitting the Enter key ...

inxi -Fx

You could then log in here and copy/paste the whole lot of text from that ...... this will provide sufficient info about the machine to estimate its capabilities.

(Note: "Konsole" is available from Menu - More Applications)

Have you tried all those applications in the menu?
If not do so ..... you might be surprised what is available there.

edit: You just reminded me of a young lady I knew many decades ago ..... she was known amongst us as 'the rat catchers daughter'
A nice girl, as I recall.

Last edited by Johnboy1951; 19-11-2019 at 15:20.
Thanks from:
14-01-2020, 22:38   #49
Stigura

Can't even remember what this is for, now? But, I've got it!

Helluva day ahead of me, tomorrow / Wednesday. Won't have a moment to spare. Obviously appreciate then that you guys too have lives. When ye ready / have a moment

Anyone left here though, still feeling charitable enough to nudge me along through this? As I remember it; Don't I plug an HDMI plug into my 'new' machine. Then, plug the other end of the HDMI into This. And then plug this into the back of my screen?

Great fun! Just checked: My HDMI thing fits one end of this. The other end isn't a USB plug, as I'd suspected. Presumably the other sort of HDMI plug then, which'll go into my screen?

Cool! It's starting to make sense now!

I guess, what I'll need next is some idea of what to expect when I finally get both these machines all set up and plugged in

What will I see on my screen? What will I do about it? Any links for stuff for me to look at, please ~ save you guys time and trouble?

Talk about: " All the gear ~ No idea! "

Thanks!

15-01-2020, 01:19   #50
Johnboy1951

With the two plugged in to the one screen you generally select the screen menu and choose from there which input to use.

In that manner you can change from one to the other machine while both are running.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 01:31   #51
Stigura

Aahhll Bee Bachh!!!
17-01-2020, 06:27   #52
Stigura

Definitely geeing up for this, so! Just spent upward of the last hour in a chat room, extolling to a lad in US about what I'm doing. Reassuring Him that it's nothing like the dreaded, Command Prompt / Coding world we'd always imagined it to be. Maybe twenty odd years ago ....? He's enthused now. Already talking about showing his brother! See what you people are doing here? Lead the blind that we may see! (Then we'll show every bugger else!)

Right; Insane o'clock here, now. I'm retired, so now tumble through time as the wind takes me. Long as I feed my creatures at their customary time. Then, I sleep more daylight hours than most people see! Anyway, I'll bloody well make sure I'm available when You people are most comfortable, when I actually get the other machine in here. Don't expect it'll take an hour. Just want someone to hold my metaphorical hand. In case.

Last questions I can think of?

1. Having loaded Linux on the new machine? (I have it on a stick) Would it not be better to wipe 7 (Saving 'space') and then physically load Linux in its place? To:

A/ Save strain on the HDD / CPU?

B/ Allow me to just press the button and fire up. No need to F what ever and choose.

2. I'd like further input on Which, exact 'Linux' to go with. I realise that may seem a bit like asking, " Who should I vote for? ". I'm really just trying to narrow down between which '7 clones' to look at. " Lite " or ....? Just a flash pointer at what to expect? What is " Lite "

Sorry. I'm old and thick. So are my mates! Christ; I hope I'm not leading us all off a cliff!
17-01-2020, 09:37   #53
Johnboy1951

Regarding wiping Win 7 or not .......

If you have a car in your two car (or bigger) garage, why would you scrap one car before putting another in there?

Yes it would make sense if space was tight ...... but first do the measurements.

First thing you need to be certain about is that your chosen Linux variant 'sees' all the new hardware and that hardware is usable.

'Light' generally refers to how old/slow/limited on resources/etc a PC can be and still run a particular version.
There are specific version releases for very old hardware, but hopefully you will not require those. Old hardware of course limits what can be done with it.
Thanks from:
17-01-2020, 12:22   #54
Stigura

Thanks, Johnboy. And 'morning! Wow! WTF?! Yes; I'm somewhat of a nightowl; Even by owls standards. Very fast asleep just now when a young lady turned up to bring me the good news about some new broadband .....

Anyway, I'm up. Dressed. Have made a mugga. Will this be the Day that I start ripping wires apart? Dunno. Might crash and burn within the hour! Only had half a sleep yet.

Seeing my hardware? That'd be my scanner, camera and trail cam, and my mike. 7 sees all them. 10 said buy a new scanner. That's when I dumped That s**t!

Regards my new machines resources? I'd put them up, earlier in this thread. No one said I must be joking. But, yeah; Nothing, in my life, is spoken of in terms of Terrabites.

Young lady who just woke me up was selling " Fast Broadband "? I don't even know what she was talking about. What I have is fine by me. Flix can be a PITA, now and then. But, I well remember dial up!

Okay. Well, I'm self confessedly notorious for liking to 'sleep on' anything. Just considered forging ahead and fetching that other machine in here. Then wondered what I was thinking.

Ye mentioned one that was most compatible with refugees from 7? And, I think, a lite version of it? Suspect I might have got them both to my stick.

Dunno. 'Logic' suggests I'd might as well go straight in with the full version. I'm running 7 fine, on This baccy tin. New machine must be better.

I think we'll call that todays big decision. I'll go with the Full '7 Replacement' one

Right; Bit more snoozing to be done, here! Barely made four hours!

Thanks again.
Advertisement
18-01-2020, 04:40   #55
Stigura

MAYDAY! MAYDAY! HUSTON ....?!

F***k Windoze!!!

Yesterday (?) They cut off 7. Last day or two. Tonight? All hell's let loose! I'm getting more side bars and boxes popping up since I discovered pron sites, back in the day!

1. I'm in total melt down here.

2. I can't find all the stuff I loaded onto my stick(s)?!

3. I'm hoping to go with the Mate " distro "? It seemed friendliest to me ~ having read back. I'm sure my fellow converts and I will get used to that, as well as 10.

4. I'm freaking out completely, because I've no idea what checking in 'tomorrow' might bring. But, this is it! I NEED TO get the hell away from Doze, Today, if poss'?

5. Sod this. I'm off to search my sticks. The ISO's (?) Must be there, somewhere? Failing that? I dunno. I'll just try to find my way to Mate.
18-01-2020, 18:59   #56
Stigura

Okay. This is It. Tonight, I jump!

I don't know What the hell happened there. But, I see it as the gypsys warning.

7 announced, a couple of days ago, that was it. Goodbye. Then, a day or so later? Updates! I take it That was the self destruct button installing! They can now frig us around like that at will. Forcing us to move over to 10.

Nope! But, here's the thing: I got my stick and found the distro files I'd DL'd? " Mate " somehow fell apart, so I f'd that off. Found I have KDE5. But, I can't find an exe file in there, or any way of firing it up

I have Rufus open, as I type. But, despite re reading the above, I can't figure out how to influence that folder with it.

So; I'm starting over. I'm DLing KD, right now. From the last link. Very latest model. Full one. Not 'Darkstar'. I intend to leave this tab open and, further schit storms notwithstanding, I fully intend to sort out and Install KDE5 Tonight and start getting used to using it

Having managed that on This machine? I can then ~ hopefully! ~ do it again on the big machine next. Only, I'll figure out how to turn off Automatic Updates, on that one, before I let it near the internet!

Wish me luck!
18-01-2020, 19:39   #57
Stigura

Right; Horses and Dogs fed. KD whats it now on my desk top. I'm now loading that onto a completely empty stick. That'll take an hour (2 Gigs) Then, as I remember, I must hit restart / F12. Boot from usb. Hit to DL from within what ever we call this distro

I'm aware that that'll involve something else. " Konsole " or " Terminal ". I have that post copied to my desk top and shall move it to my usual stick before I blast off.

Feeling amazingly calm about it. But, then; I understand more stupid people are calmer under fire. They're too thick to recognise the gravity of their own predicament!

Let's see if I'm still smiling tomorrow!
18-01-2020, 20:05   #58
Johnboy1951

Good luck ...... and have Fun!!!!!

Thanks from:
18-01-2020, 20:08   #59
Stigura

Five minutes and thirty seconds, distro's gonna be on that stick!

It Would be very fair too to now say I'm becoming somewhat of a brick layer too!!!
18-01-2020, 21:00   #60
Stigura

Ohh Kayyyyy ..... I'm following the plan 28064212 gives me, on post 5.

Got as far as step 6. " Write the ISO ". But, I tried " opening " the iso on my stick and it wouldn't have it. However, I now see Rufus appears to be DLing something? I think we're back at post 16.

So; This should take about half an hour. Only, I can't find anything Saying it's actually DLing

I'd hit Start, in Rufus. Loathe to touch it again, lest I Restart the whole thing, or corrupt what I have. Just wish that green bar would grow a bit.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion