Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oxford English dictionary Vs Collins english dictionary

• 09-01-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have a preference on either of the mentioned dictionaries....I want to get one and am not sure which to choose, although they're probably both very good, I'm sure people have a preference and I'd like to hear opinions on it.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from Literature to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

What kind of Oxford Dictionary are you considering? There's a good few out there. I bought the Oxford Concise Dictionary and I find it excellent. I don't think I've ever looked up a proper* word and not found it. It's partly targeted at professionals so there are a lot of scientific words in there - like "cholinesterase" and "congruent". There's a lot of obscure words too - "cachinnate" (laugh loudly) and "sciolist" (me? ;)) for instance - so you know that the moderately advanced words you'll want to find will be in it.

The definitions are clear and non-moralistic. For example:
    catamite - a boy kept for homosexual practises
    In older dictionaries and some modern dictionaries the definition of catamite has a moral angle to it - not so here.

Some random definitions to illustrate clarity:
    impeach - to call into questions the validity of (a practise).
    impeccable - in accordance with the highest standards.
    judgement - the ability to make considered decisions or form sensible opinions / an opinion or conclusion.
    judgemental - having an excessively critical point of view.
    scenery - the natural features of a landscape considered in terms of their appearance, especially when picturesque.

Some definitions, like catamite, also provide details of the origin of the word, which is nice.

*You won't find a definition for "omg", but you will find one for "lol".

Oh my god - OMG actually is included! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have a couple of dictionaries, including the Concise Oxford, but the one that is hauled out for definitive answers and good etymology is an old copy of Collins which is now so battered that it has lost its cover so I don't know which version it is (its about the same size as the Concise Oxford). I keep promising I will replace it with the current version, but really it's part of the family at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks guys for the replies. Whats the difference between the Oxford dictionary of English (2010) and the Concise Oxford english dictionary (2011)? I think every home should have a good english dictionary! Especially when playing scrabble...lots of cheating going on:D

• Advertisement

The Oxford Dictionary of English is bigger than the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. It includes some encyclopedic information, like definitions for countries, and probably more etymologies and such. When I was choosing my dictionary I was stuck between those two, but sided with the Concise as it's more portable - easier to grab off the shelf and run downstairs. The ODE is heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The official Scrabble list of words is better than dictionaries, there are some lunatic words in it with qs and xs and zs. Trouble with ordinary dictionaries is that someone will grab another one and claim it overrules yours :D

Advertisement