Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy olympics u-turn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You said
    If they were born on this island then I cheer them as Irish men and women. I don't have borders in my head.

My point is you do not cheer on all of the people born on this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Two Unionists talking to one another on Boards and using stereotypes, more likely.

If you want to 'aim' at people, man up, and name them.

Man up! Funniest thing I've read in a long time. I don't keep track of the comments submitted by individual posters, I'm afraid.
    Odhinn wrote: »
    The idea of golf in the olympics was to promote the sport. Mcilroy got serious flack within golf for not bothering with it as a result.

Lots of leading players pulled out last time because of the Zika virus. Questions were asked, as you noted. Reckon their attitude to the next Olympics is going to be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,319 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    You said

My point is you do not cheer on all of the people born on this island.

Bigots are welcome to the identity they choose. In the case of Linfield and Billy Bingham, that most certainly isn't Irish. So No, I don't support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

It's all a bit mad.

Welcome to planet earth, none of it makes any sense. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pissartist wrote: »
    and why, the ezika virus and having a kid, where's the kid now ?
    then he wasn't sure what nationality he was, the guy has verbal diarhoea
    How is is not committed - who is 'more committed.
    He owes absolutely nobody anything - golf is HIS job. Get over it you clown.
    A clown who can construct a sentence.

So, tell us, what's ezika virus?

A few other mistakes there too, learned one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

janfebmar wrote: »
    One persons bigot is another mans hero. You are entitled, for example, to cheer whoever you want. People from the other side may think that people from clubs who have sports grounds named after terrorists are the bigots.

Which sports grounds are named after terrorists? It is my opinion that the greatest Terror that was inflicted on the North came from the British governments down through the years who divided and segregated and used discrimination to maintain a presence on a neighbouring island. Those that inflicted the most terror on her majestys behalf didn't have sports grounds named after them they were knighted and the more terror that they were responsible for the greater the distinction they received.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Golf, Soccer, Tennis etc shouldn't be in the Olympics.

I tune in just to watch the sports that I d'ont normally watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

ebbsy wrote: »

Correct. Like the Eurovision and indeed the EU, the Olympics has got too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Do the golfers compete under the tricolour at the Olympics, or under the GUI flag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

100% he should be told to f**k off, the runt changes his mind as often as the wind changes direction.
    A very, very unlikeable person who shouldn't take the place of one of our committed players.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ebbsy wrote: »

money sports

that's why they are there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

lawred2 wrote: »
    money sports

that's why they are there
    Popular sports to be fair. Golf is one of the most popular sports in the world. The money follows the popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Pretty recently most of the country got upset when an openly British man refused to play soccer for us. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to complain about McIlroy now?
    Some people might have, but the most people probably just wanted him to make a decision rather having the question dangling for months/years.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

people forget rory is a catholic , anyway im sure he'll do well and get a medal for us !

murpho999 wrote: »
    Rugby does not make you a unionist.

Anyhow do your research.

He went to St Patrick Primary School which is Catholic and then to O'Sullivan Upper School which is muli-denominational.
    Being R Catholic doesn't make you a republican/ nationalist, nor a Protestant a Unionist.

I think our history has taught us that much, says I with a nod to Emmet and Tone, Markievicz and Sam Maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

DarTipp wrote: »
    people forget rory is a catholic , anyway im sure he'll do well and get a medal for us !

I thought at this stage most adults had grown out of the whole Catholic/Protestant nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/golf/is-zika-the-real-reason-golfers-are-pulling-out-of-the-olympics-744493.html

I read the above article by the Examiner, written before the Rio Olympics.
    It discussed whether the Zika virus was the real reason golfers pulled out of going to Rio.
    Some admitted honestly that it was not a priority for them

While Mcllroy would not only be not playing golf in Rio Olympics.
    He would not even be watching it.
    He would only watch 'the stuff that matters'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-3686465/Rory-McIlroy-adds-insult-Olympic-golf-tournament-claiming-ll-watch-stuff-matters-Rio-Games.html

My question is regardless of all the cultural identity debate - British v Irish v NI.
    Why the full 360? He has gone from making half-assed excuses not to go because of Zika four years ago. To saying it does not matter and wont be watching it. To now playing in the Olympics. Not only that he is 'excited to play' in it now. :D

I view Mcllroy as an extremely disingenuous guy. And I would not believe a word he says at this point.
    What are his true opinions?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/golf/is-zika-the-real-reason-golfers-are-pulling-out-of-the-olympics-744493.html

I read the above article by the Examiner, written before the Rio Olympics.
    It discussed whether the Zika virus was the real reason golfers pulled out of going to Rio.
    Some admitted honestly that it was not a priority for them

While Mcllroy would not only be not playing golf in Rio Olympics.
    He would not even be watching it.
    He would only watch 'the stuff that matters'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-3686465/Rory-McIlroy-adds-insult-Olympic-golf-tournament-claiming-ll-watch-stuff-matters-Rio-Games.html

My question is regardless of all the cultural identity debate - British v Irish v NI.
    Why the full 360? He has gone from making half-assed excuses not to go because of Zika four years ago. To saying it does not matter and wont be watching it. To now playing in the Olympics. Not only that he is 'excited to play' in it now. :D

I view Mcllroy as an extremely disingenuous guy. And I would not believe a word he says at this point.
    What are his true opinions?

Funnily enough Darren Clarke who is from a Protestant background has more rapport with 'the South' than McIlroy and has never twisted and turned like this.

Now I accept they are/were at different levels etc in terms of fame and fortune but for me McIlroy is just hedging his bets and just annoying everyone.

I don't think anyone bought the whole Zika virus excuse- just an easy way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Being R Catholic doesn't make you a republican/ nationalist, nor a Protestant a Unionist.

I think our history has taught us that much, says I with a nod to Emmet and Tone, Markievicz and Sam Maguire.

Indeed which is why I raise an eyebrow when someone says 'Oh sure there will be a Catholic majority in a generation or so'.

Yeah as if 100% of all Catholics are Nationalists and want a UI. You're in for a rude awakening if you think that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lofidelity

Shane Lowry also snubbed the last Olympics but nobody seems too bothered

• Advertisement

Lofidelity wrote: »
    Shane Lowry also snubbed the last Olympics but nobody seems too bothered

Lowry is nearly as bad, he used the Zika virus as a get out.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/golf/rio-2016-olympics/news/lowry-withdraws-from-rio-olympics_275706.html

Now he wants to partner Mcllroy in Tokyo! :D

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2019/0515/1049689-lowry-hoping-to-partner-mcilroy-at-tokyo-olympics/

The difference is that Lowry does not make u-turns on his national identity as Rory does.
    In fairness Lowry, was lucky enough to be born in a place where there is less confusion.

The Rio Olympics put Padraig Harrington way up in my estimation, in light of his colleagues attitudes.

Padraig called them out on it at the time as well (see below)

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/padraig-harrington-brands-golfs-rio-11738698

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I actually think its a no-win situation for McIlroy, hes stuck in the middle of a Nationality quagmire. It there was a NI team then he would be fine but declaring for one is going to annoy the other, regardless of whoever he plays for.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I actually think its a no-win situation for McIlroy, hes stuck in the middle of a Nationality quagmire. It there was a NI team then he would be fine but declaring for one is going to annoy the other, regardless of whoever he plays for.

He could alternate every four years?
    Ireland one Olympics - Britain the next.
    What would the reaction to that be?
    He could 'rise above it' all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Berserker wrote: »
    Logical decision to opt for Ireland given the level of nonsense he was subject to last time round. His heart is in the UK, we all know that. His Irishness will be worth a few quid when it comes to endorsements in the US. Good luck to him.

Makes sense because he's Irish.

As usual, Brits blaming and then bowing to the Americans.

We all know, Northern Irish is like saying you're from Cork.

Nice of you to support an Irish athlete.

Looking forward to how the Brits and unionists react though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

charlieIRL wrote: »

yeah feel the same, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place and no matter what decision he makes the small but very vocal minority on the opposite side will give him hell. He literally cant win.

It was the same with Declan Rice, people loosing their heads on here yet the lad grew up in England, has an english accent and all his mates are english. Maybe his Irish dad had a dream that his son would play football for Ireland but when he is culturally more english than Irish and grows up then it is his decision to make then and people should just respect it and move on.

We will never have a united Ireland if adults cannot get over this tribalism stuff from the past. Some people just need to grow up a bit and look forward for a change.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah feel the same, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place and no matter what decision he makes the small but very vocal minority on the opposite side will give him hell. He literally cant win.

It was the same with Declan Rice, people loosing their heads on here yet the lad grew up in England, has an english accent and all his mates are english. Maybe his Irish dad had a dream that his son would play football for Ireland but when he is culturally more english than Irish and grows up then it is his decision to make then and people should just respect it and move on.

We will never have a united Ireland if adults cannot get over this tribalism stuff from the past. Some people just need to grow up a bit and look forward for a change.

Rice is even worse scenario, he played for Ireland all the way through at underage. Even got three caps at senior (non-competitive).
    Then suddenly pulled out of the competitive game.
    It was obvious someone got in his ear and he made a 'career move' by switching to England. Much like he made the 'career move' when playing for Ireland in the first place.

The suspicious among many (and rightly so) is that Mcllroy is making a 'career move' by playing in the Olympics. Is his heart really in it? Are his motivations financial duty to his sponsors etc. Was it because he realised that he missed a trick by not going to Rio? Now thinking 'oh golf could really take off in the Olympics' cha-ching....??

Do we now just pretend that his comments from four years ago never happened?

The whole thing is completely insincere and makes a mockery of the phrases 'proud Irishman' proud to 'represent your country'.

In a soccer context some people buy into thier 'new' country completely. Similar to John Aldridge sees himself as an Irishman now and is never slow in saying it and correcting the English pundits on it.

Andy Townsend on the other hand. It was a pure 'career move' for him and you can never say he really brought into it. He still says 'we' for England and is very sheepish when English commentators mock him as 'an Irishman'.

Mcllroy is definitely on the 'Andy Townsend' end of the spectrum for me a pure business decision, to enhance his career, and benefit his sponsors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Rice is even worse scenario, he played for Ireland all the way through at underage. Even got three caps at senior (non-competitive).
    It was obvious someone got in his ear and he made a 'career move' by switching to England. Much like he made the 'career move' when playing for Ireland in the first place.

The suspicious among many (and rightly so) is that Mcllroy is making a 'career move' by playing in the Olympics. Is his heart really in it? Are his motivations financial duty to his sponsors etc. Was it because he realised that he missed a trick by not going to Rio? Now thinking 'oh golf could really take off in the Olympics' cha-ching....??

Do we now just pretend that his comments from four years ago never happened?

The whole thing is completely insincere and makes a mockery of the phrases 'proud Irishman' proud to 'represent your country'.

In a soccer context some people buy into thier 'new' country completely. Similar to John Aldridge sees himself as an Irishman now and is never slow in saying it and correcting the English pundits on it.

Andy Townsend on the other hand. It was a pure 'career move' for him and you can never say he really brought into it. He still says 'we' for England and is very sheepish when English commentators mock him as 'an Irishman'.

Mcllroy is definitely on the 'Andy Townsend' end of the spectrum for me a pure business decision, to enhance his career, and benefit his sponsors

Welcome to the Norn Irish world of football.. Even the most oppressed person ever in the world played for NI at junior level. I don’t mind people wanting to play for the republic. But at least have the balls to say from the start if you want to play for the country or not.

Rory is quite obviously a “Norn Irishman” judging him by his past comments and actions. However golf is still organised on an all island basis so if he partakes in the Olympics be glad of him.

Just don’t expect him to be runn8ng around singing along to the wolf tones and ooh ahhh up the ra paddywhackery.

timthumbni wrote: »
    Welcome to the Norn Irish world of football.. Even the most oppressed person ever in the world played for NI at junior level. I don’t mind people wanting to play for the republic. But at least have the balls to say from the start if you want to play for the country or not.

Rory is quite obviously a “Norn Irishman” judging him by his past comments and actions. However golf is still organised on an all island basis so if he partakes in the Olympics be glad of him.

Just don’t expect him to be runn8ng around singing along to the wolf tones and ooh ahhh up the ra paddywhackery.

I would have more respect for him if he stuck to his guns clubs and continued avoiding the Olympics.

He admitted that he “resents” the Games and would have felt “uncomfortable” winning gold for either Ireland or Team GB
    . :D

Mcllroy also said:

"I don't know the words to either anthem; I don't feel a connection to either flag; I don't want it to be about flags;
    I've tried to stay away from that.

“Not everyone is (driven by) nationalism and patriotism and that's never been me,
    because I felt like I grew up in a place where I wasn't allowed to be. It was suppressed."

In fairness to him though it is bit awkward when the 'British mainland' now shorten the term to 'Team GB' (marketing). So NI is not even an afterthought now!

Does he really believe golf should be in the Olympics now as well, has he gone off the synchronised swimming?

He is now basically taking a place from someone else who would love to be there, but he has to pretend he does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I would have more respect for him if he stuck to his guns clubs and continued avoiding the Olympics.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2017/01/09/rory-mcilroy-resent-olympic-games/

He admitted that he “resents” the Games and would have felt “uncomfortable” winning gold for either Ireland or Team GB
    . :D

Mcllroy also said:

"I don't know the words to either anthem; I don't feel a connection to either flag; I don't want it to be about flags;
    I've tried to stay away from that.

“Not everyone is (driven by) nationalism and patriotism and that's never been me,
    because I felt like I grew up in a place where I wasn't allowed to be. It was suppressed."

In fairness to him though it is bit awkward when the 'British mainland' now shorten the term to 'Team GB' (marketing). So NI is not even an afterthought now!

Does he really believe golf should be in the Olympics now as well, has he gone off the synchronised swimming?

I wouldn’t spend that much time thinking about it tbh. He also slagged the Ryder cup off and then got really into the idea of whipping the yanks.

His main problem in others eyes is that he doesn’t fall into the catholic upbringing means he is mega Irish routine. He was brought up in a middle class broadly quite unionist area and his schooling confirms this.

I say in others eyes because I can imagine he doesn’t give a feck and rightly so.

And as for people saying he is a catholic I wouldn’t be so sure. I was brought up Protestant but I certainly am not now. Most sensible people grow up and away from fairy tales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From a mate who is a West Ham season ticket holder apparently the club owners put him under huge pressure to play for England because english players are more valuable in the transfer market due to the quota system. So the West Ham owners were thinking of his re-sale value and knew they would get a better price if he declared for England. Aside from that he had the English FA in his ear and his agent to who is thinking of the commission on his next transfer.

The Rice situation was a mess but I wouldnt hold any grudge against the lad. There is an argument that as a kid playing for Ireland he took the place of someone else only to later declare for England. But its hard to blame a 13 or 14yr old Declan Rice for that when he has no idea that at that stage if he will ever make it to top level football when the majority of them don't. He just wanted to play football and no doubt his family connections to Ireland wanted him to play here too.

Advertisement