Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Just popping in to wish the novices the very best of luck. You guys definitely have the A team looking after you!
    Get ready for the run of your life! You're gonna love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck Mr. Guappa and team, and of course the assembling novices. Enjoy the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

No worries that you've run some marathons before; you're very welcome to the thread.

Congrats on your time in Wexford - it's not an easy course. No doubt you'll go faster on a flatter course and once you're running a touch more consistently.

Have a look at the plans suggested in Mr G's opening post and see which one fits best into your schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Best of luck all. Found this thread invaluable a couple of years ago.

Did DCM last year but didn't train for it (4:47). Have signed up again with the intention of properly training with a goal of getting home in under 4 hours. Turning 30 two weeks after DCM so never a better time to try it!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k 23:34 – March 23rd (Parkrun)
    10k 49:25 – April 14th (Great Ireland Run)
    Marathon 4:47:xx – DCM 2018

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Can do 10k without a break. Haven't gone beyond that since DCM but feel like I could comfortably keep going at the right pace. Time will tell

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 times a week. 10k x 3 + Parkrun Saturdays (with a 2.5k warm up and cool down either side)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Reckon sub 4 is achievable. 3:30 would be the dream but reckon DCM19 may be too soon for that.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Realistically I can trian 5/6 days a week with the right motivation

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Will I be able to keep up the training (I run on my own a lot which can lead to a lack of motivation)

Why are you running this marathon?
    Ran, walked, jogged DCM last year and loved it. The atmosphere was unreal. Felt amazing finishing it. Want to prove I can train properly for a marathon and complete it in under 4 hours.

Welcome, Prospector1989. I'm very jealous of your untrained DCM time :) It would be great to see what you can do fully trained and, hopefully, that thought will prove motivation enough.

Looks like you've a decent base. Maybe you could start to slowly increase the distance of one of the runs a week or, alternatively, introduce a fifth, lower mileage day?

Take a look a the plans posted in the first post. I think the Boards plan might suit you.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Welcome, Prospector1989. I'm very jealous of your untrained DCM time :) It would be great to see what you can do fully trained and, hopefully, that thought will prove motivation enough.

Thanks Huzzah! I've plans to join a local club in the next week or two to help with the motivation side of things.
    Looks like you've a decent base. Maybe you could start to slowly increase the distance of one of the runs a week or, alternatively, introduce a fifth, lower mileage day?

That's the plan. I decided to focus on the shorter distances during the first half of the year and have signed up for a few 10k and a 5 miler. Have signed up for the Dublin 10mile and the HM for later on in the year so I plan on slowly upping the training distance now as we come into the summer.
    Take a look a the plans posted in the first post. I think the Boards plan might suit you.

Good luck.

I'll definitely take a look at them. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck on your Journey to DCM Novices!

What a team you have there to support you.. Mr Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG good luck team!

If only I had this when I did DCM, my novice marathon. I wore the same pair of shoes from cradle to grave, ate mars bars for fuel and ran every single training mile at the same pace :o

I'll follow with interest!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Great to see this thread back up and running, and best of luck to all the 2019 Novices! You're in very safe hands with that mentoring team!

JemsD wrote: »
    Hi All - Newbie to this and first Marathon (fingers crossed!)

Here goes!

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Not many! 1st half was Paddys Day 2019 Mullingar time was 1.58, Trim 10 Mile, 1.30

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    5k - 8k on Mon, 8k-10k Wed, Track Fri, Sat sometimes, Sunday LSR between 10miles to 13miles
    Spin Class once weekly
    Pilates once weekly

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream finishing time - 4.15
    Realistic finishing time - 4.30

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Planning Running 4/5 times weekly
    Open to suggestions!

•What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Over training - not knowing when to rest leading to injury.
    Nutrition is also a concern - how to look after myself and make sure I am getting the right nutrition during training and on rest days.

•Why are you running this marathon?
    At 36, I want to lead a healthy/balanced lifestyle for my 3 children. They are at impressionable ages (13, 9, 7) and I want to show them that when you make a decision and put the hard work in you can do it.

Welcome, JemsD

It certainly looks like you've a nice base built up and the regular Pilates will complement your training nicely. In addition to building mileage slowly, another key to combating overtraining is to keep the majority of your runs nice and easy.

Take a look at the Boards plan linked in the OP and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Welcome, JemsD

It certainly looks like you've a nice base built up and the regular Pilates will complement your training nicely. In addition to building mileage slowly, another key to combating overtraining is to keep the majority of your runs nice and easy.

Take a look at the Boards plan linked in the OP and see what you think.

Congrats on your role this year. You'll be in spreadsheet heaven keeping track of usernames, real names, PBs, plans being followed etc. No better woman :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Best of luck to you all; having been lucky enough to be a novice in 2016 and part of Wubbles crew in 2017 you are in for one hell of a ride over the next few months.

Take heed of the mentors and support each other as much as you can.

Come on the 2019 crew and the latest batch of best prepared novices toeing the line in October

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Happy to see this thread pop up. I’m not entirely a novice, I ran DCM in 2014. I wish I’d had this thread back then because I know now I was undertrained and running too fast, too often. I had a long sabbatical, mainly due to pain in my forefoot, eventually diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis in two metatarsal heads. That’s largely under control now and I feel like I have unfinished business with the marathon.

I’ve had a log here: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057942329/1 for a few months now and that goes into a bit more historical detail! Sub 4hrs and 39 seconds is the goal. Hoping to be in shape to hit something in the 3.50 to 3.55 range.

Running 5-6 days a week. Ran the Wicklow half back in March in 1.54.49. Running Terenure 5 mile on Sunday and hoping for 39ish.

Not 100% on marathon plan yet. Running Clontarf half first week in July and I’ll do the race series. Will prob stick with boards plan.

Thanks to the volunteer mentors. I first found this thread in 2017 and followed with great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi everyone. My first marathon.

I haven't raced 5k yet, but my best parkrun time this year was 27:59 in January
    10k - 57:01 in February
    Half - 2:10:17 in March

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I am running an average of 31km per week at the moment.
    I am running between 4 and 5 days per week. One LSR and all slow runs but from this week I have returned to the track to do one fast session.
    I am running most of my runs very slow - 10mins per km.
    I also do 3 evenings of Strength and Conditioning, which I will pare back to 2 once I feel the need.
    I try to do one Yoga session at home each week

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I would love 4:40 but I honestly don't know how realistic or unrealistic that time is right now. Having said that, my true aim is to have a positive experience for my first marathon and not for it to break me, mentally or physically.

Between the gym and running I am training 6 days at the moment. I feel I have been able to manage this because the intensity is so low. I am in a very fortunate position where I will be off work from June to September, so am hoping that time won't be as much an issue for me as it would be if the marathon was earlier in the year.
    I don't yet know which plan to choose.

Now that I have talked the talk, can I walk the walk? My biggest fear is failure to make either the start or finish line.

Because I can. So, why not? (I am very nervous about it though! :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Hi, very much novice here ! Cant believe I've entered tbh

Have you raced before?
    Running /jogging over 6 years, but not the fastest
    5k 28mins
    10k 57 mins
    I've done lots of 5ks and 10ks and did 2 half marathons last year (2h15)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

How much training do you currently do ?
    2/3 times a week, did 10k at weekend so will try to increase this over next few weeks ??

What do you want to achieve? Just to finish in one piece ! Dream would be under 5 hours

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Three days a week ,
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) That wheels will fall off or my head will go !
    And that I've not done enough running this year and have left it too late !

Why are you running this marathon
    Grew up watch g dad compete , love marathon day , and would regret it if I never completed one, also turning 40 !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ist marathon for. Excited and nervous all at once. Some days the panic takes over.
    I'm 55 run regularly for past 6 years. Worked up from 5k to half marathon last year. Have done 2 halfs so far. Average around 2:20.
    I'm not really looking for a time,just want to get over the line in one piece and enjoy the experience.
    Have looked at a few plans. Most run 4 times a week. I can realistically fit in 3. I do kettlbell/circuit one day and spin class one day a week. My work takes up around 42 to 50 hrs a week. I work most evening so being part of a running group was never an option.
    At the moment I do 2 runs 8 to 10k during the week with a long run on Sunday 12 to 16k.
    Hopefully I won't feel so much as a solo runner being part of this group.

Hi Kalesshi queen, I can promise you that with this group you will not be alone! Your current weekly mileage has you in a good place to begin the marathon training. Consistent, regular running 4-5 days a week is the best way to prepare yourself for the marathon. The Hal Higdon plan requires 4 days per week, so might be your best option given your comment regarding realistically fitting in 3 days per week. You really do need to be running more than 3 days a week though. Is running to/from work an option, or a lunchtime run? Maybe you could forgo the kettlebell/circuit or spin class to squeeze in that 4th run?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Hi All..

Have been keeping on eye on when this thread would start. Thanks for volunteering your time to provide guidance.

•Have you raced before?
    - 5k Parkrun - (A year ago!) - 22 mins
    - 10K - (Regularly). 48 mins
    - 10 mile (Trim Feb 2019) 1.17.56

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - Strength / Conditioning 1/2 days a week (1 hour each time)
    - 2 runs a week at the moment probably 8k-12k depending. I'm looking lose a strength day and add a running day from now.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - Realistic Time - Under 4 hours
    - Dream Time - Under 3.45 hours

- Planning Running 3/4 times weekly
    - Think ill aim for Boards plan.

- Running "too fast". Relative to MY marathon pace. It is a clear issue with my runs and the fear is injury.
    - I also need to dial in nutrition as im hitting approx 84kg at the moment which doesnt sound like fun dragging for nearly 4 hours.

I have spoken about it for a while - and finally wanted to make a commitment. I want to dedicate myself to a goal, come up with a plan and then achieve it.
    No doubt ill need help, guidance and a bit of direction - but looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

2016 grad here, one of nop's ninjas. :) I'll be doing DCM for the 4th time come Oct. Third attempt brought me under 4 hours. It's hard to put into words the emotion of the final couple of miles. You're in great hands here, enjoy the journey. The races through the year are a good chance to practice your pre-race routine - breakfast, gear, etc, and you might bump into someone from here too. The long runs - some of you'll be hitting new distances in the training, you may not believe you'll get there, but you will.

frash wrote: »
    Have been keeping an eye out for this thread.

I followed it in 2014 but bowed out due to injury (I know now that I didn't stretch enough).
    Back again in 2015 but legs turned to lead at mile 19 and finished in 5:10.
    Post-race analysis was that my LSR was too much of my weekly total - my "medium" run was never long enough.

Dublin Half Marathon 2018 - finished in 2:00:00 so am still to get a sub 2.
    Marathon 5:10 (2015)

No but I run with my dog a lot and sometimes she does for calls of nature ;)

Try to get out 4 days a week but it doesn't always happen.
    I started a log here - last week was 25 miles.

I want to run the whole thing with no need to walk like last time.
    Would be delighted with 4:30

Hopefully get out 4 days
    Not sure on plan - maybe the boards one

Getting injured.

Unfinished business.

Hi frash, and welcome to the thread. I've dipped into your log on occasion before, but I'll be following more closely from now :)

Mileage wise you are about where I was this time last year, if not a touch ahead. I think you'd be well able for the boards plan, if you can find the time?
    I notice you run typically run 3 midweek runs, and a Saturday LSR - well the boards plan just has an added 2/3 recovery miles on a Sunday. Check it out anyway and see what you think.

I think sub 4:30 is definitely within your capabilities with sensible training, but don't worry too much about target times just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great interest for your first day A. You have your work cut out with the numbers looking to run 3 days a week though. Sort them out pronto :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Being a 2018 DCM Novice was such a daunting thought until I came across this group this time last year. Best support page possible. I really dont think I'd have stuck with it without their support and wisdom.

Wishing the very best of luck to yer mentors for 2019 you novices couldn't be in safer hands.

And best of luck to all the 2019 DCM novices. You've got this 💪💪💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

5Km time of 22:40 in Spring 2019 at a Parkrun and 10Km at Dublin Night Run a few weeks back of 50:50.

No, have become quite good at reading what my body is telling me in relation to pace at the distances I have run.

Parkrun on a Saturday morning and usually try get another 5-10Km mid week at lunch time.
    Currently in training for a cycling event in early June so once that is done and dusted I'm hoping to get up to the required 4 days per week of running.
    I commute 5 days a week on bicycle which results in 80-90Km on the bike which is mostly low intensity.
    Have done a good few long distance cycling events (100-200Km) and at this stage have nailed my nutrition for those, hoping that side of things transfers over to running.

4 hours is the dream and hopefully realistic time too but failing that, finishing would be an amazing achievement as I'm only running about 6 months.

4 days should be quite manageable as I'll get the midweek runs done during lunch time in work. The LSR at the weekend is where I'll need to get buy in from the OH/Kids. Planning on doing the Hal Higdon training plan.

At 195cm and 100Kg, getting my body around the course it what scares me the most. I'm also concerned that my body will breakdown during the training and result in me going in to the event being under prepared. Dropping 10Kg prior to the event would help an enormous amount.

For the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Finally the thread has started!! I've been reading through last years thread and also follow a lot of training logs in here so it made sense for me to join this group.

I started running last October after deciding that playing soccer was causing me too many injuries - had to figure out a new way to keep myself fit. My wife is a great runner so I reluctantly started too.

But I'm really enjoying it I have to say, especially when you notice the big improvements over time. I'm currently following a P&D 30 mile plan for the Cork Half Marathon

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 5k - 23 mins parkrun early January (hope to smash that this Sunday in the Bweeng 5k)
    10 mile - 74.30mins (Mallow in March)
    Latest race was The Great Railway 25k run which I did i in 2hrs5min (avg 8.02)
    Hoping/Plan to do the Cork half in 1.40

Im up to 30 miles per week, 4 days a week

What do you want to achieve?
    Going to train for a 3.30 marathon - running the 25k @ 8min mile influenced this decision

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Going to increase to 5 days a week running, and use the P&D Advanced 50 mile plan. Looking at the plan, it will be tough but looks enjoyable. I like the progression long runs that I currently do.

Apart from injury, which is everyone's fear, my biggest concern is I will never be happy with the times I run. I will constantly seek to improve and improve those times whilst never enjoying the actually achievement of running them

I started running to keep fit, I entered the Cork Half Marathon to have something to aim for. I entered the DCM2019 cos it was selling out fast - is that how these things always work out!?

Looking forward to joining in with this new group and see what we can all achieve together.

Hi all completely new to this & hoping to achieve my goal of completing the DCM this year ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    * I have entered a few races this year most recently the Kildare 5k getting my PB 22:19 & the 10k Nightrun 47:10

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    * No walk breaks

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness
    * I run between 6 - 8k at lunch 2-3 times a week then a long run at the weekends started at 10k got 17k done this weekend. I weight train twice a week 1 HIIT class & 1 strength & conditioning class

* My dream is to complete it and i would absolutely love to do it in just over 4hours but only once i get training properly i will be able to judge that

* Not too sure yet which to follow - i plan to train 4 days a week but more if needed- i want to give 100%

* Not completing it is a huge fear & getting an injury would be a worry

* A few reasons here, never thought i could ever do this so i am thrilled to be doing it. I am turning 41 this year so also it will be a huge personal achievement for me proving to myself i can do it. And most importantly i am doing it for a very close friend who recently lost a sister & another one a few years ago due to a horrible illness, an illness she is fighting herself & had a kidney removed due to tumors. She has asked me to run it for the Irish kidney Association which is the least i can do!

Hi Laineyfrecks, and welcome to the thread!

Those are some very good 5k and 10k times, and that 4 hour aim is definitely not out of reach, but you are 100% correct not to worry too much about that for now.

You will be well able for the Boards plan. Getting injured is part and parcel of running, but the sensible training in the plans here will ensure that you are minimizing the risk of injury.

Best wishes to your friend, and you've very admirable reasons for doing this.
    Great to have you onboard!

Thanks to Mr. Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG and probably many others that will lend their support over the coming months. I've no doubt that a huge amount of effort goes into it.

1 mile : 5:58 - 2019-04-24
    5k: 19:46 - 2019-05-01
    10k: 43:19 - 2019-04-14
    HM: 1:39:33 - 2018-09-23

Nope

I usually run 5 days a week, totaling 30-40 miles. Club session on Tuesdays, but have missed that the last while due to life. Long run on Sundays, usually 8-10 miles.

Cycle a similar distance on commute (5-6 miles, 5 days a week). Sometimes throw in longer cycle on Mondays or Fridays, as they're usually my non-running days.

Dream time: 3:15/20, realistic: 3:30

I've not 100% decided on plan but looking at P&D 55 mile plan. It'll need some small changes to fit the race series in, but hopefully no major changes.

1. Injury
    2. Not finishing

A made me do it :P

Eh, I mean, I wanted to challenge myself. Have worked my way from a couch to 5k, through to half marathon (3 so far) and looking to take the next step now.

Here's a log I made earlier: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920744

Welcome to the novices thread mister paul! I'm looking forward to following your training as we go along, and hopefully we'll be able to offer you some useful advice too! If nothing else, I can wholeheartedly endorse the positive vibes that come from a group of people training towards a common goal. And another log for me to follow... the list is ever-growing!

Happy to see this thread pop up. I’m not entirely a novice, I ran DCM in 2014. I wish I’d had this thread back then because I know now I was undertrained and running too fast, too often. I had a long sabbatical, mainly due to pain in my forefoot, eventually diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis in two metatarsal heads. That’s largely under control now and I feel like I have unfinished business with the marathon.

I’ve had a log here: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057942329/1 for a few months now and that goes into a bit more historical detail! Sub 4hrs and 39 seconds is the goal. Hoping to be in shape to hit something in the 3.50 to 3.55 range.

Running 5-6 days a week. Ran the Wicklow half back in March in 1.54.49. Running Terenure 5 mile on Sunday and hoping for 39ish.

Not 100% on marathon plan yet. Running Clontarf half first week in July and I’ll do the race series. Will prob stick with boards plan.

Thanks to the volunteer mentors. I first found this thread in 2017 and followed with great interest.

Hello passinginterest, great to see you in here! Looking at your training over the last while you're really well placed to face into marathon training. Best of luck on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Thank you for starting the thread Mr Guppa

Here are answers!!

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    PB's are a good few years ago so I am not taking them into account.
    Did Limerick Marathon in 2015 4:09 and 2016 4:14.
    Ran the Limerick Half Marathon at the weekend in under 1:57 so that is more of an indication of where I am

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) - No

Yoga once a week
    Swim once a week
    3 runs a week, fast 5k, marathon pace 10K, longer run at the weekends

First ambition is to enjoy the race and run all 26.2 miles
    Dream finishing time 3:59:59
    Realistic finishing time a pb of under 4:09

Will be running 3 times a week

Getting injured
    My life getting in the way of running or running getting in the way of my life

I want to have the experience of running a big city event. The Limerick Marathon while well run for parts is just like a small club race. When struggling at the end of the Limerick Marathon the fast half marathoners pass you by which is soul destroying. In Dublin everyone is in the same both

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Congrats on your role this year. You'll be in spreadsheet heaven keeping track of usernames, real names, PBs, plans being followed etc. No better woman :D

Thanks, S. I appreciate it.

I was very surprised to have been asked; maybe it was my spreadsheet game that tipped the odds in my favour :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Helenasca wrote: »
    Being a 2018 DCM Novice was such a daunting thought until I came across this group this time last year. Best support page possible. I really dont think I'd have stuck with it without their support and wisdom.

Wishing the very best of luck to yer mentors for 2019 you novices couldn't be in safer hands.

And best of luck to all the 2019 DCM novices. You've got this 💪💪💪

I would like to echo these sentiments.

Found myself this time last year about to take on my first marathon and not really knowing where to turn until a friend pointed me in the direction of the Novices thread.

I can say without a doubt that the mentors and the wider community saw me through what was an incredible few months of training and sound advice that not only got me over the finish line but bagged me a sub-4 too!

There is no better preparation for DCM 2019 while in the hands of this year's mentors.

Best of luck to everyone and enjoy the ride!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi everyone. My first marathon.

I haven't raced 5k yet, but my best parkrun time this year was 27:59 in January
    10k - 57:01 in February
    Half - 2:10:17 in March

No

I am running an average of 31km per week at the moment.
    I am running between 4 and 5 days per week. One LSR and all slow runs but from this week I have returned to the track to do one fast session.
    I am running most of my runs very slow - 10mins per km.
    I also do 3 evenings of Strength and Conditioning, which I will pare back to 2 once I feel the need.
    I try to do one Yoga session at home each week

I would love 4:40 but I honestly don't know how realistic or unrealistic that time is right now. Having said that, my true aim is to have a positive experience for my first marathon and not for it to break me, mentally or physically.

Between the gym and running I am training 6 days at the moment. I feel I have been able to manage this because the intensity is so low. I am in a very fortunate position where I will be off work from June to September, so am hoping that time won't be as much an issue for me as it would be if the marathon was earlier in the year.
    I don't yet know which plan to choose.

Now that I have talked the talk, can I walk the walk? My biggest fear is failure to make either the start or finish line.

Because I can. So, why not? (I am very nervous about it though! :p )

Great to have you join Bananaleaf! You're in an excellent position of being used to running 4 or 5 days a week already and I'm happy to see you keep some of them good and slow :) What plan do you think you will follow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

pd79 wrote: »
    Hi, very much novice here ! Cant believe I've entered tbh

Have you raced before?
    Running /jogging over 6 years, but not the fastest
    5k 28mins
    10k 57 mins
    I've done lots of 5ks and 10ks and did 2 half marathons last year (2h15)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

2/3 times a week, did 10k at weekend so will try to increase this over next few weeks ??

What do you want to achieve? Just to finish in one piece ! Dream would be under 5 hours

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Three days a week ,
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) That wheels will fall off or my head will go !
    And that I've not done enough running this year and have left it too late !

Why are you running this marathon
    Grew up watch g dad compete , love marathon day , and would regret it if I never completed one, also turning 40 !

Hi pd79 and welcome to the thread! We'll certainly try help you hit the goal of finishing in one piece :)

Don't worry about not doing enough running this year so far, you have 7 weeks-ish before the plans even start, so try get into a good routine between then and now (if you're not already). Do you know what plan you will follow?

Advertisement