Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

road_high wrote: »
    Only for the reason voters don’t trust them on the economy- if they did they’d have voted in a SF PBP profit dreamteam coalition years ago. The voter conclusion is FG or FF aren’t perfect but the other lot would be far worse...the results speak for themselves on this

Much like the last GE, the combined FG/FF support level is below 50% once again. Hard to see how you can draw that conclusion from these results.

Carry on regardless...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭gifted

What do you think the greens are going to do?

Gonna save the world man......and gonna cost me a lot more money in paying for their green ideas....shower of spoofers........same crowd that stood by and helped FF destroy this country while they were only concerned about bringing in their green policies and swapping ministerial positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

gifted wrote: »
    Gonna save the world man......and gonna cost me a lot more money in paying for their green ideas....shower of spoofers........same crowd that stood by and helped FF destroy this country while they were only concerned about bringing in their green policies and swapping ministerial positions

You can thank them for better building regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

storker wrote: »
    Yes, indeed, that is a problem...and I did give PBP a (4th out of 4) preference today, not because I particularly believe in their policies but because someone needs to be in there shouting for the little guy, and FFG never will, no matter what they say about "the people who get up early".

If PBP bottle it again with a hung Dail though, they'll have had their last vote from me.

PBP are only interested in the people who never get up and do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

blanch152 wrote: »
    PBP are only interested in the people who never get up and do a job.

When there is no profit what will be used to pay the people?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What do you think the greens are going to do?

Being blinkered in Irish politics is a major failing.

I voted Green as 2nd preference in MEP election but there was no Green in my local ward.

The Greens can actually offer a lot in local and national elections provided they have learned the lessons from their last coalition. They will never be the largest party in government but they have a part to play.

They will obviously push for stuff that makes sense but might be difficult to attain or be unpopular e.g. Geenways, cycle lanes, more public transport, better building regs, energy saving retrofit grants, better planning, carbon taxes, increases fines for pollution/dumping etc

Also I would expect it would be much harder to corrupt a Green than say an elective representative from FF, FG, Lab or SF. They just seem to be a better class of political candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭twinytwo

devlinio wrote: »
    Fine Gael are the only party we should be voting for. I only voted for them today.

Really?

Children's hospital?
    Broadband?
    Guards?
    Housing?
    And so on...

Couldnt organise a bar fight not to mind run a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

FF outperforming the exit polls.

The good times are coming back lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

FF outperforming the exit polls.
    The good times are coming back lads!!
    De green wave, so to speak
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5-EpqqmbXFNDN26NwBVZkvkhclIhimT_s1684VrQGF98OLWz8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sheeps wrote: »
    Except, the ones who actually ruined the economy were Fianna Fáil, so as much as you want to insinuate that the left wing parties will ruin the country, the only ones with an actual track record of doing so are the established parties.

Yes, I seem to remember during the giveaway budgets of the noughties the left wing parties urging caution and restraint........oh, wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/linnanenews/status/1132282618161049600?s=21

Final tallies for the north side cork city local election areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Not much change in Clontarf apart from a scramble for the 6th seat. Charlie Haughey's grandson could be in with a chance if he gets Deirdre Heney's transfers.

61186826_2444293085602101_2346964331775655936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=3f55b7db2332833385464720759a521b&oe=5D9F1606

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

jos28 wrote: »
    Not much change in Clontarf apart from a scramble for the 6th seat

61186826_2444293085602101_2346964331775655936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=3f55b7db2332833385464720759a521b&oe=5D9F1606

Theres a few scrambles around the country, Lynn Boylan looks in Trouble in Dublin and I think Ming is fighting for his.

I think the general feeling about Ming and Boylan is that they lost out by being in Europe and not visible to their electorate. Hard to run a campaign from Brussels I suppose. Just noticed on that Clontarf tally that Councillor Ciaran O'Moore SF is not mentioned. Lost out to Donna Cooney GP ?

jos28 wrote: »
    I think the general feeling about Ming and Boylan is that they lost out by being in Europe and not visible to their electorate. Hard to run a campaign from Brussels I suppose.

Yeah being honest im a little shocked that the voters haven't returned them comfortably. Lynn id know more of but Ming seems to have a huge support base in the west. Its a shame seeing us losing good representatives in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah being honest im a little shocked that the voters haven't returned them comfortably. Lynn id know more of but Ming seems to have a huge support base in the west. Its a shame seeing us losing good representatives in Europe.

It seems that being an MEP in which your job is to be in Europe to do the job you were elected to do comes at the expense of being visible and on the ground in the constituency and potentially not getting reelected.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It seems that being an MEP in which your job is to be in Europe to do the job you were elected to do comes at the expense of being visible and on the ground in the constituency and potentially not getting reelected.

But both are still present Lynn goes Door to Door with GE and LE candidates not too familiar with Ming and his routine.

The one candidate that has me confused is Gary Gannon SD. Serving Councillor in Dublin North Inner city, he ran for Europe and Local elections. He was moved to the Cabra Glasnevin ward for the locals and an unknown given his slot in North Inner city.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/social-democrats-confirm-kisyombe-as-local-election-candidate-1.3881948

My understanding is that if he was successful in both elections, his party could co-opt someone onto the Council in his place. Surely it would have made more sense to leave him in his ward where he more than likely held his seat. If successful the SDs would have had an MEP and a council seat. I haven't seen the tallies from Cabra Glasnevin yet but Gary Gannon could have fallen between 2 stools. Strange strategy from the Social Democrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The greens are spoofers and finna fail light. People are being tricked again by them.

I made up my mind about them when they backed Shell all those years ago down in Mayo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Sinn Fein doing badly on tallies I've seen. Variety of reasons, they alienated too many of their voters, core support and members. Too many quit the party. Too much of a top down dictatorship in the party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ricero wrote: »
    The greens are spoofers and finna fail light. People are being tricked again by them.

I made up my mind about them when they back Shell all those years ago down in Mayo.

Right. You mean they upheld the rule of the land and courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ellie Kisyombe on RTE now. Doesnt sound like shes sticking with the Soc-Dems after all the hoo haa.

"Disappointed with how the party leadership treated her".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

nice_guy80 wrote:
    You can thank them for better building regulations

And all the diesel cars on the road, and the solid fuel stoves smoking up the place and all those billions we spent on connecting wind turbines do we could close some of those fossil fuel stations.. how many of them have we closed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sinn Fein doing badly on tallies I've seen. Variety of reasons, they alienated too many of their voters, core support and members. Too many quit the party. Too much of a top down dictatorship in the party.
    Greens & Labour seem to have done well all round. SF & Indos slippage. Greens, as it turns out, did not have enough candidates.

Ellie Kisyombe on RTE now. Doesnt sound like shes sticking with the Soc-Dems after all the hoo haa.

"Disappointed with how the party leadership treated her".
    Shortall said water under the bridge.

Another Healy Rae in I see, also Jackie!:D

is_that_so wrote: »
    Greens & Labour seem to have done well all round. SF & Indos slippage. Greens, as it turns out, did not have enough candidates.
    Labour doing quite poorly at 6%? Also no Euros candidates in play. Greens unbelievable results.

Labour doing quite poorly at 6%? Also no Euros candidates in play. Greens unbelievable results.
    Ignore the Euros. 6% is actually not terrible for locals, especially for final seats. Labour look to be gaining 3 seats in Waterford and 2 in Louth. I think they were also talking about gains in Limerick as well. Green could get to high 30s they say, 12 at present.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour running in vastly less wards than last time and off 4% in some polling, with some potential vote base amongst the huge Green shift - it's not as good as the leadership will have wanted but it's also no disaster

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein look like they are being wiped out in many council areas, although hard to get a full picture. They lost so many members, councillors and especially canvassers, it put them in real trouble. Think Mary Lou McDonald will be gone with 12 months at this rate.

Advertisement