Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flys from the dark box on wild browns,

• 24-04-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,
    I was out last Sunday on Lough Derg and there wasn’t a lot happening few flys about but not many fish moving,

We pulled in for lunch and we got talking about flys etc and the conversation turned to using flys you might use on stocked lakes, eg boobys woolys buggers, blobs, etc,
    For wild trout the stances were between its being sacrilege or a fruitless exercise because wild trout are not as dumb as their stocked cousins,

Any on use them or have had luck using them?

I’m interested to here all views!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There are some large stockie lure type flies which I have gotten brown's in while they were hitting minnow and perch fry.

For sea trout there are some patterns that can be very effective. The baby doll was one I always had on my box for seatrout.
    There was another large black and silver stockie lure type fly (name escapes me) which a fishing buddy swore by for seatrout. Thee muddler is another albeit that is sold in both the stockie selections and seatrout. I recall reading an article in trout and salmon magazine years ago where a fella was consistently getting salmon on the muddler.

Definitely no reason to turn a nose up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I caught a few wild trout on typical stockie type flies. Boobies and goldhead fritz. Surface kind of lures on floating line. Cool seeing the wave fast approach from behind the surface after the flies.
    On lakes like derg or even Owel I’ve caught stockies and wild trout using muddlers and especially minky. They seem to be a dynamite in any water.river or lake. But you need the right conditions. I found pulling into calm corners of a lake away from a swell on overcast or even really bright days will produce a fish or two. Or at least good follows. I’ve even caught pike and good size perch on minkys.
    Also goldhead Montana on intermediate line will work aswell.
    But as I said. Conditions are crucial. On good Friday loch Owel was hopping with duckfly. But we weren’t fly fishing. We were catching plenty on Tasmanian devil lures.
    Also just to add it’s all about how you present the fly and the retrieve is crucial aswell.
    Too fast a fish will lose interest and turn. Two slow and it will study it too much. Especially wild brown trout. Stockies will probably take it either way. Rainbows will anyway because they’re as thick as dog shïte. I’ve caught them using a cigarette butt to prove a point.
    Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

Will give it a crack after the mayfly starts and finishes!

Have had perch on the fly before and I want to have a go at pike on the fly too!
    That’s another tread tho!

Thanks great advice dodderangler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Has anyone tried zonkers? Sure they look like they fell of Steve Tyler, but they have a great profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SpinFishing1

Hi,

The green Peter (sedge) fly seems to work extremely well for me in lakes in my locality, which only have wild brown trout. Although depending on your area could possibly be a bit too early for that fly yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ipso wrote: »
    Has anyone tried zonkers? Sure they look like they fell of Steve Tyler, but they have a great profile.

They’re a good early season fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Hi,

The green Peter (sedge) fly seems to work extremely well for me in lakes in my locality, which only have wild brown trout. Although depending on your area could possibly be a bit too early for that fly yet.

One of the most traditional Irish flies going, the green peter could be fished any day of the year on any Irish Lough with confidence.

Advertisement