Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Can't Live Without ....

• 13-07-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

What would you have to have in the Z Apoc? What cant you live without? Not talking about tools / weapons / etc. But rather, what luxury / indulgence / sanity-saving item would you go back for, or endeavor to re-make in the months after the Panic?
    Would it be a recliner sofa?
    Your guitar?
    Your collection of Charlie Chaplin movies on DVD to while away the hours?
    A signed copy of WWZ to remind you of better times?

Is music , comedy, memories etc just as important as guns, fuel & water-purification?

I think mine would be my laptop. I can play movies & music, keep notes / log etc, and run it on a solar panel. Maybe some day hook it up to a projector and make a private movie theater (just to remind me of what we once had).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've already cut myself off from popular media, the bunker only gets high speed internet now. So I wont miss any of that, I have a collection of downloaded stuff but I went through a big clean out of downloaded stuff that's also on Netflix. I can't watch the same thing twice anyway.

The plan is to keep my PC running so there's little bar consumables that I'll miss out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The canteen in college.

The thing i would miss most is the ability to roll off a bus, get a coffee and rasher in a roll for €2 and chill with the lads in the smoking section.

I'm sure i could replace most of these things, but the whole package is what i would miss

Jaysus, I forgot coffee. I'll go to war for a cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

crate of Barry's tea for me so, and a cow, ...and a spoon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I wonder if the zombies will go after cows? Gotta have fresh milk for the tae!

• Advertisement

Zombies will probably go after anything that moves. It seems unlikely to me they would have the metal capacity to tell the difference between a human and a cow. They'll get mauled by cattle though. I think zombie attacking cattle could turn the cattle into pretty dangerous beasts. If they lose all trust in humans walking through the countryside could be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I'd really miss transport. The ability to move great distances quickly.

Yeah, we'll have cars and buses and diesel and petrol up the ying yang for a while, probably a long while.

But then everything is going to really REALLY slow down.

It'll go back to being a great adventure to get to the next town over.

cycling and horses will be the best way to get around but we'll all miss cars :P

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

I'd miss Internet radio, TV , etc...books too probably given that you'd probably be restricted in moving and journeys to get new books wouldn't be too likely.

As a glasses wearer I'd say I'd really miss access to replacement glasses.... tho that would solve my lack of b

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

sabhail wrote: »
    I'd miss Internet radio, TV , etc...books too probably given that you'd probably be restricted in moving and journeys to get new books wouldn't be too likely.

As a glasses wearer I'd say I'd really miss access to replacement glasses.... tho that would solve my lack of b

ha, reminds me of that classic twilight zone episode :) Nice

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    I'd really miss transport. The ability to move great distances quickly.

Yeah, we'll have cars and buses and diesel and petrol up the ying yang for a while, probably a long while.

But then everything is going to really REALLY slow down.

It'll go back to being a great adventure to get to the next town over.

cycling and horses will be the best way to get around but we'll all miss cars :P
    Ya, roads will probably start to decay pretty quickly, without cars traveling on them grass will start ripping them apart within months. I'd say you'll still be able to travel them in cars you just won't be able to go to fast.

You could make your cars last longer by making them more economical on fuel. Rather than going down the traditional road of turning your car into an armoured tank, you could strip it down so it weighs much less, giving much better economy of fuel and the parts of the car should last longer having to push less weight around.

There's been roads in Ireland for thousands of years though, so I don't think they'll disapear. If towns in the east get wiped out due to proximity to Dublin those roads might disapear, although many of the massive infrastructure in Dublin will probably be there for hundreds of years, those concrete over passes for example are pretty permanent fixtures that nature will have trouble breaking down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I think alot of things that we dont think of as luxeries, we will realise are luxeries.

A hot bath would be one for me. Also if i was living outdoors at times and it was raining, just not being able to get dry would be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

...A hot bath would be one for me...

oh, good one! Yea, amazing how in all the post-apoc films how dirty everyone is ... it must smell to high heaven (and thats not the Z's, its the survivors!)

Roads would be a big loss. Just loosing the ability to get up and go, and cover decent mileage in a day. I saw a documentary a while back, about what would happen to cities / roads if humans were taken out of equation. It seems that nature takes over very quickly. They estimate that in 50 years you would not be able to tell that a motorway ever existed!

oh, good one! Yea, amazing how in all the post-apoc films how dirty everyone is ... it must smell to high heaven (and thats not the Z's, its the survivors!)

Roads would be a big loss. Just loosing the ability to get up and go, and cover decent mileage in a day. I saw a documentary a while back, about what would happen to cities / roads if humans were taken out of equation. It seems that nature takes over very quickly. They estimate that in 50 years you would not be able to tell that a motorway ever existed!

I dont think they look that dirty in movies though. Some of them have highlights in their hair with no roots!

Thats mad, only 50 years! Nature is just quick to take back over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Music. MP3 player and solar charger a must. If that fails I know a couple of hundred songs I could hum to myself.

Music. MP3 player and solar charger a must. If that fails I know a couple of hundred songs I could hum to myself.

I love music but i really think i would be too afraid to play it in case it attracted zombies or if using earphones that i couldnt hear things behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Baby wipes would be a premium. I could imagine looting baby wipes and deodorant at a pharmacy along with the usual first aid/medications.

It would be like one of those classic movie scenes where the scavengers hand over the loot, then produce a luxury item they nabbed and everyone cheers up!

Music. MP3 player and solar charger a must.

Just thinking of that scene in Gemini Man when Charlton Heston is in his fortified apartment, playing music on a record player (go google it, kids) and drinking brandy from a big glass, while the Z's are outside and his floodlights are keeping them back ...... ah, heaven!

Wasnt tha Omega man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

things i can't live without.......hate to be boring but food

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Wasnt tha Omega man.

....oops, yup, it was Omega Man ..... :-) Damn film gave me the willies for months (...years...) Saw it again recently (searched for it after I Am Legend came out) and it wasnt as bad as I remember .... but still bad enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

My hairdryer.

Not for drying hair....it's my only form of heat. Who needs an electric blanket when you have a hairdryer. :cool:

It's alright for The Walking Dead folks they get blasted everyday with glorious sun but being stuck in Ireland with no instant heat....god that would be the most depressing thing. Aside from well, people dying all around you.

Just before Christmas there, my electricity went out because of bad weather and the light from candles was really crap. I could still barely see and I don't have bad night vision or anything. So false light I would miss at night.

Think of how much you'd injure yourself too with no electricity. I bang into walls and doors plenty times at night and I've lived in this house most of my life so should know the damn layout by now. Imagine what injuries you'd get looking for supplies in other peoples houses with no lights!

I try to look up making soap every so often to try and get the ingredients to stick in my head. It shouldn't be too hard to make from scratch here, fat and some white ash from burning timber are your main ingredients. Throw some coal tar into the mix and you've got an antibacterial soap. You'll smell like diesel though. Which could be a good way of tricking people into believing you've got access to a lot of fuel.

When it comes to cold and wet there's actually a perfect material running around our fields. Unprocessed wool yarn is actually waterproof. Modern wool has all the natural oils taken out of it, but the real stuff is pretty incredible, you could dunk it in water and it wouldn't retain any water at all.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I try to look up making soap every so often to try and get the ingredients to stick in my head. It shouldn't be too hard to make from scratch here, fat and some white ash from burning timber are your main ingredients. Throw some coal tar into the mix and you've got an antibacterial soap. You'll smell like diesel though. Which could be a good way of tricking people into believing you've got access to a lot of fuel.
    l.

What about tooth decay? Back to the old string and door trick? :) reminds me of that movie "Cast Away".

When it comes to cold and wet there's actually a perfect material running around our fields. Unprocessed wool yarn is actually waterproof. Modern wool has all the natural oils taken out of it, but the real stuff is pretty incredible, you could dunk it in water and it wouldn't retain any water at all.

Why would you want to trick people into believing you have fuel? Wouldn't they just attempt to rob you or are you trying to rob them or something completely different?

What about tooth decay? Back to the old string and door trick? :) reminds me of that movie "Cast Away".
    I think there are certain trees that make good toothbrushes. You take a sapling and fray one end and use that to brush your teeth. Old Native American trick.
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Why would you want to trick people into believing you have fuel? Wouldn't they just attempt to rob you or are you trying to rob them or something completely different?
    But you have nothing for them to actually rob, other than a misshapen bar of soap. Although if you can produce soap you'll probably be a valuable asset.

You could get people to a meeting point for trade and as long as they're not on the double cross like you, you can simply ambush them and take all their stuff. Probably have to murder them too so they don't come looking for revenge.

Z_Day_Threat_Assesment ()
    {

ambush==scumlord;

update.add(ambush);
    {
    ListOfPotentialAllies (update)
    if
    {
    ListOfPotentialAllies = ambush;

ListOfPotentialAllies.remove (update);

ListOfShady****ers.add (update);
    }
    Else
    System.println ("all good in the hood Bud");
    }
    }

I think there are certain trees that make good toothbrushes. You take a sapling and fray one end and use that to brush your teeth. Old Native American trick.

But you have nothing for them to actually rob, other than a misshapen bar of soap. Although if you can produce soap you'll probably be a valuable asset.

You could get people to a meeting point for trade and as long as they're not on the double cross like you, you can simply ambush them and take all their stuff. Probably have to murder them too so they don't come looking for revenge.

Well murder will be committed by everyone at some point so might as well be for getting supplies. But if they are half decent/have skills of some sort might be worth joining up.

• Advertisement

I dunno, i reckon there will be a point where everyone has to Kill, however where tha falls between;
    Accidental killing
    Self defence
    Justifiable homicide
    Manslaughter
    Premeditated Murder
    Genocide

Will vary for most people.

Advertisement