Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lough Currane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Got nicer as the day went on but still a cool easterly. Found some more good brownies and one took me around the boat a couple of times, mad thing. Also juners, so I've caught them in four spots now along the south shore and some over at Rabbit which is good news. All stale fish. There was a very quick hatch at about 7, small black sedge, which lasted about ten minutes when the sun came out and brownies switched on to it. There's some seriousy good brownie fishing. Last one is a freshish sea trout of about 2 and a half
    Here's a few samples. All went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Had good sport last night on sedges from the shore. Got a couple of lovely brownies. Rose many more. It was a spectacular evening for it too.

Different fishing for the last week or so but still productive. Early morning good for the bigger sea trout on a slow pull in Comeragh Bay. Best 4 and a half. More sea trout caught this week than those good brownies. There's a debate about what they actually are and one possibity is that last year's sea trout run stayed in the lake. They give an unbelievable fight and not like brownies at all. Also small smolt from the October run around in the last few days. Still penty of those little sedge hatching but it was NE wind today with a decent bit of rain overnight so slow enough. Got a good sea trout at dusk on the south side of the lake on a double fished slow.
    Last week ahead. Weather looks dodgy but warm for the second half so hopefully it will keep fishing.

I don't know about them being seatrout that stayed in the lake Mr Bumble. In my experience a seatrout that stays in freshwater never really recovers the full brown trout look. They go more dark. This is from a river perspective tho so maybe lakes are different.

I was delighted with the brown trout fishing from the shore. I always thought fly fishing from the shore on Currane was a non runner and spent countless evenings there this year after I found a couple of wadable spots. I suppose there is the possibility that a seatrout could hit the flies too. There was one spot I was wading last week and a boat drifted past :D

Explored around capal bay too and it looks very promising. Looking forward to next year already :)

Some of these are very dark fish and fight like sea trout. They've gone down in the last few days and mostly small brownies and october smolt taking flies now. There's every chance of a sea trout from your wadable marks. I saw a big one run across the water at 7.30am Sunday right in against the road where the crash barrier is. They move right into the shore there. When you're standing with the lake inf ront of you at that spot, there's a sharp drop off to the left from 3/4 ft to 6/8. I've caught good brownies there and sea trout.

• Advertisement

The last week was tricky with a mixed NE and E wind early on and then too much wind later. Still caught fish and a lot of them, right up to the last day. Callum blew through very fast and I was fishing by lunchtime and kept going til dusk. Great fishing, about 20 sea trout, mostly under a pound and some of them fresh. Also a lot of October smolt getting ready to go (wish them luck!) more brownies which it seems nailed on now are sea trout from last year that didn't go back to sea. Those who know about these things have been in touch with IFI and apparently, the same happened in the Connemara lakes. A lot of them died off there so we'll have to wait and see. Was interesting that someone on the club app pointed out that some of the fish I posted pix of had very small bodies for the size of their heads which I hadn't noticed. Looking back, that was spot on and not a good sign.
    Here's my (very unscientific) theory.These fish must be very hungry and it's near spawning time, which in turn might explain why the lake switched on. Fish come to flies best when there's competition among them for scarce resources and the addition of numbers of stay at home sea trout to the ecosystem might have been a trigger.
    Thursday last was best day of the week. Was out at dawn and caught good fish all day including a very good one in Comeragh bay early and another good fish late on in Coomelickey Bay.
    Caught fish all week and didn't blank any day which is a remarkable experience for someone who has blanked day after day on Currane for the last four or five years. I was almost at the point where the boat needed a new home.
    It's very odd, to be honest, only partially explained by the presence of the sea trout that stayed in the lake. For the last few years particularly, it's been hard to even rise a brownie. Water clarity has improved dramatically and maybe it was down to poor angling!
    There was definitely an improvement in the numbers of sea trout compared to the last four years and again, those who understand these things suggest that there was low salinity in Ballinskelligs Bay when smolt went to sea which means much fewer lice and that the Marine Harvest facility at Deenish had low numbers in the cages. If memory serves, I think the Inishfarnard farm around the corner in the Kenmare River was fallow last summer (2017).
    All in all, a fantastic four weeks. I usally don't have to count fish on Currane because there's been so few, but I lost count on four or five days. Total was well over a 100 and another lad staying next door had similar numbers. Neither of us strayed very far from three or four spots and anyone else I bumped into was catching fish in all the known spots.
    Spawning will tell a tale this year and that should start in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, the farms haven't gone away so the October smolt going to sea now will hit a wall of lice.

Great report Mr Bumble and very informative as usual. I took a spin to the capal river. Looks like it could produce too so that's another spot to try next year from the shore. Buying a boat for it will have to be considered too :)

I see the reports from yesterday online. Seems two springers were taken, both on the troll, both by locals, both knocked on the head. FFS. It's sad given the state it is reputedly in that locals are knocking fish on the head, yet lambasting the IFI for lack of action on the system decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

SeaFields wrote: »
    I see the reports from yesterday online. Seems two springers were taken, both on the troll, both by locals, both knocked on the head. FFS. It's sad given the state it is reputedly in that locals are knocking fish on the head, yet lambasting the IFI for lack of action on the system decline.

I've seen the reports Seafields. I've seen three springers kept. They never seem to learn that they need to rectify this. I dont know why but Lough Currane seems to hold a reputation as a catch and kill lake which is unfortunate and true. Wish I could see more catch and release going on. I usually am not a catch and release brigader and believe its not a big deal to keep the odd fish but in reason but for me Lough Currane anglers have gotten past that point to where I think it is ridiculous

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a militant C+R advocate but you've them arguing that the IFI are at fault for the system decline yet knocking fish wholesale. I know there's issues around salmon farming causing the sea trout to decline. I follow a pile of salmon groups on Facebook. Anglers have learned that springers should be returned as much as possible. Not in waterville it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a militant C+R advocate but you've them arguing that the IFI are at fault for the system decline yet knocking fish wholesale. I know there's issues around salmon farming causing the sea trout to decline. I follow a pile of salmon groups on Facebook. Anglers have learned that springers should be returned as much as possible. Not in waterville it seems.

Every time I brought the issue up with anglers who fish Currane, some agreed and some gave the argument that they're not the problem, people have kept the fish all the time. They refuse to blame themselves and put all the blame on the fish farms. They turn a blind eye to the constant killing of salmon especially spring salmon.

I see several people have comments on the blog about the lack of catch and release. The replies are dismissive. Very frustrating to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Lots of people posting pics online of spring salmon caught with tags pretty disappointing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭OwlEye

OwlEye wrote: »

It is good news indeed. I'm surprised a big multinational would allow such a major breach of the licence conditions to occur.

It's great news. They will appeal but it's significant that Creed is taking on Marine Harvest. The dynamic has changed pretty rapidly in Waterville because of the new hotel. A lot of construction work and now hotel jobs, much better than the dozen or so running the farm. They've been pulling huge money out of those cages. I'm told a full cycle can be worth €12/15m which is extraordinary money and explains a lot. Almost none of that goes back into local economy and it is clear that the farm is actually damaging the environment of Ballinskielligs Bay.
    The Hogs Head owners have invested upwards of €100m in the area and are still spending so they're here for the long haul. They won't want a hotel on a dead lake or a golf course overlooking a polluted bay.
    I've been told that most of the farms in Ireland have very grey licenses which could be challenged.
    I've been down two or three times since the start of the season and had a good salmon in March, my first springer off the lake which is in the freezer. Won't take another now.
    Was down a few weeks back and did well on brownies. There's a few sea trout about. Unfortunately, someone killed a 7lb sea trout. Completely crazy. If the lake is to recover, those big fish are crucial.
    Seafields.....I have a few more spots for you to try off the shore including a good one for salmon/sea trout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    It's great news. They will appeal but it's significant that Creed is taking on Marine Harvest. The dynamic has changed pretty rapidly in Waterville because of the new hotel. A lot of construction work and now hotel jobs, much better than the dozen or so running the farm. They've been pulling huge money out of those cages. I'm told a full cycle can be worth €12/15m which is extraordinary money and explains a lot. Almost none of that goes back into local economy and it is clear that the farm is actually damaging the environment of Ballinskielligs Bay.
    The Hogs Head owners have invested upwards of €100m in the area and are still spending so they're here for the long haul. They won't want a hotel on a dead lake or a golf course overlooking a polluted bay.
    I've been told that most of the farms in Ireland have very grey licenses which could be challenged.
    I've been down two or three times since the start of the season and had a good salmon in March, my first springer off the lake which is in the freezer. Won't take another now.
    Was down a few weeks back and did well on brownies. There's a few sea trout about. Unfortunately, someone killed a 7lb sea trout. Completely crazy. If the lake is to recover, those big fish are crucial.
    Seafields.....I have a few more spots for you to try off the shore including a good one for salmon/sea trout.

While agreeing with most of your post, I do find the irony in these contrasting statements rather depressing. It's simply not credible to criticise someone for killing a fish, while in the same breath admitting to killing one yourself. Salmon, especially springers, are in as much trouble as sea trout.

In 20 years fishing Currane, I've killed two salmon - my first on the fly and this, my first springer. I've killed one sea trout of 71/2lbs in the same time and I'll regret that for the rest of my life. I don't regret killing this salmon. There was a good run, the yearly run is at sustainable levels and it will probably be my last off Currane but I would still take a fish from the Moy. He had a gouge in his back from a cormorant and was most likely a taking fish as a result.
    The Sea Trout population in Currane is in crisis. The salmon population (relatively speaking) is not. But I take your point.

New bye-law for the Waterville region makes it illegal to kill any sea trout. Catch and release still allowed. This plus Deenish closing gives the lake a great chance now. Interesting that they are doing it now instead of for opening day which would suggest that returns from the counter in the Butler pool must be very poor again. Fish should be running in numbers from now on. Will be down for the coming week. Fingers crossed.

Just came to the forum to post this exact thing. Common sense at last. Hopefully the next few years sees an improvement with this measure and the closure of the salmon farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Is Deenish actually closing?

I expect they will appeal the cancellation of the licence??

Slasher wrote: »
    Is Deenish actually closing?

I expect they will appeal the cancellation of the licence??

They have appealed to the aquaculture licensing appeals board but stated they are also applying to the high court to have the minister's order revoked. They want the licence amended to allow them stock far more fish...

Zzippy wrote: »
    They have appealed to the aquaculture licensing appeals board but stated they are also applying to the high court to have the minister's order revoked. They want the licence amended to allow them stock far more fish...

The bringing in of the bye law lends itself to both the appeal board and the high court rejecting the various appeals I would hope.

The bringing in of the bye law lends itself to both the appeal board and the high court rejecting the various appeals I would hope.

Will have no impact or relevance. They are appealing on very intricate legal grounds. Basically their licence expired in 2007 (most farms did) and the dept have done very little since on granting new licences but allowed existing farms continue as normal. The company are claiming that since there was no effective licence in place that the minister has no legal basis to determine there was a licence breach!
    They are also claiming that the terms of the licence which limited the site to 500 tonnes production per year are outdated and they want it changed to a standing stock biomass of 2,200 tonnes, which equates to annual production of 3-4,000 tonnes.
    Oh, and they also claimed that the fish were transported and killed elsewhere, so they cannot be punished for harvesting too many fish at the site. You couldn't make it up! These people have no shame and will do anything to make a profit, and f**k your wild salmon and sea trout...

The above makes the work being done by the IFi this year hugely important. They've been working on a smolt micro tagging scheme to track the migrations of sea trout smolt. The tracking buoys are scattered around the lake. They've also been sampling in the Butler pool for the last few years looking at returning, lice infested smolt. This is all building evidence. They had to act, given the collapse of the sea trout run. The lads on the ground speak of a general neglect in the area of policing of the fish farms. IFI perosnnel used to go out the farm once a month but that lapsed a number of years ago.
    We all know Deenish is the problem but that's never been enough in Ireland.
    There are a few sea trout about. I got this one off an old early season mark I haven't fished in a while. Aboout four and a half and had been in a week. Had a couple of juniors as well and heard of a scatter of others.
    Perfect conditions for last three days weather wise but lake very low and dropping. Next flood will make for interesting fishing.

Well I finally actually caught a sea trout from Currane. This beautiful trout taken this evening from the shore. Bet you a lot of fellas would tell you that's not possible.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    The above makes the work being done by the IFi this year hugely important. They've been working on a smolt micro tagging scheme to track the migrations of sea trout smolt. The tracking buoys are scattered around the lake. They've also been sampling in the Butler pool for the last few years looking at returning, lice infested smolt. This is all building evidence. They had to act, given the collapse of the sea trout run. The lads on the ground speak of a general neglect in the area of policing of the fish farms. IFI perosnnel used to go out the farm once a month but that lapsed a number of years ago.
    We all know Deenish is the problem but that's never been enough in Ireland.
    There are a few sea trout about. I got this one off an old early season mark I haven't fished in a while. Aboout four and a half and had been in a week. Had a couple of juniors as well and heard of a scatter of others.
    Perfect conditions for last three days weather wise but lake very low and dropping. Next flood will make for interesting fishing.

Just to clarify. IFI staff used to participate in lice sampling. That was stopped by the department and the marine institute. IFI are no longer permitted to observe sampling. There is no independent oversight of the MI sampling programme. Farms are notified in advance of inspections. Read into that what you will.

Well done Seafields. I think I know where you got it. There's definitely a few fish around. Got anohter on Friday - over 5lbs tho the snap dpesn't do it justuce. Finding them at old marks I haven't fished in a long time

Zzippy wrote: »
    Just to clarify. IFI staff used to participate in lice sampling. That was stopped by the department and the marine institute. IFI are no longer permitted to observe sampling. There is no independent oversight of the MI sampling programme. Farms are notified in advance of inspections. Read into that what you will.

There was a practice locally here to visit the farms unannounced....above and beyond the lice monitorring ...."just for a look". I think this helped Currane. With no visits and multiples of allowed stocking rates, the inevitable happened.

• Advertisement

Mod hat on...

Lads, there seems to been a miscommunication here more so than anything else on both sides.

If we were on the hurling field I tell ye shake hands and move on.

Advertisement