Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Really nice to see that blossoming is it just the precleance that is making this option attractive for people or is Dublin seen as a nicer airport to transfer in by seasoned travelers due to being a lot smaller then a Heathrow or schipol

I'd say most people just book on fares and time to be honest. Dublin is an attractive hub for a lot of UK regionals, so for example if I want to fly Birmingham to SFO I can go with EI for 827eur on 21 May vs 983eur for Lufty via Munich. And who wants to be flying over their house on the way home. It seems Delta and KLM are fighting a lot on price via Amsterdam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

EDIT - was mistaken on the equipment used, its LAX that has the A380 from Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

exaisle wrote: »
    Not sure, but it seems like a bit of a gamble to me...

He's here all week folks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is the UA 787 economy seats better or worse than the 777 out of Dublin now that they are using 787s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

777 could be in US domestic conf which is ugly and could be 10 seats across in the back

787 is likely to be better but seats on 787's are never nice for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

787 is likely to be better but seats on 787's are never nice for some reason

I wouldn't say never. I've heard that Japan Airlines 787s are excellent for comfort. They have them in a 2-4-2 configuration which is unusual.

VG31 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say never. I've heard that Japan Airlines 787s are excellent for comfort. They have them in a 2-4-2 configuration which is unusual.

I choose to fly JAL over BA specifically for this reason.

JAL are the outlier, it 2+4+2 with 34 inch pitch in the back is very nice on the way to HND,

787 economy on any airline I've flown it so far (haven't been on JAL or United tho) is a really crap seat. They've gone to all this effort to big up the windows and the cabin pressure, but the amount of punters they're fitting in on those thin seats makes it distinctly unpleasant.

Even the Boeing 787 cabin demonstrator is just the dated 777 interior with bigger windows

777 with UA will most likely be the ugly US domestic config with no entertainment with 10 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Ryanair are launching a 4x weekly Toulouse service from 27 October.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/ryanair-announces-new-dublin-toulouse-service

• Advertisement

The reason I ask is that one of the United flights is supposedly gone to 787 this week dub-ewr . I was only on the 777 a few weeks back and it was much comfier than I had thought, stripping out the IFE got a load back as they are all onboard wifi with no screens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

trellheim wrote: »
    The reason I ask is that one of the United flights is supposedly gone to 787 this week dub-ewr . I was only on the 777 a few weeks back and it was much comfier than I had thought, stripping out the IFE got a load back as they are all onboard wifi with no screens now.

It’s definitely gone from the 777 to the 78X

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's the 787-10, DAA are pushing it hard on Twitter at the moment. UA used the domestic config 777 the past 12-18 months as they worked through the Polaris updates to the 777 fleet to the best of my knowledge.

Fwiw having flown the 787 on AA & BA; AA is tolerable if you get a Main Cabin Extra seat, BA is just outright horrific and I would go out of my way to avoid. The A332 is the best Y class aircraft for transatlantic pax imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Aa have launched their Dallas Fort Worth route and westjet have also launched their Calgary route...

Any trip reports AA DUB-DFW ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Aa have launched their Dallas Fort Worth route and westjet have also launched their Calgary route...

It will be very interesting to see how Dallas pans out. I can see this having the potential to becoming an all-year round flight. I'd be of the opinion that AE missed a trick here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It will be very interesting to see how Dallas pans out. I can see this having the potential to becoming an all-year round flight. I'd be of the opinion that AE missed a trick here.
    I see your point but had to 'miss a trick' when you dont have the airframes ready.
    I believe AA switched their route from NYC to Dallas.
    EI could still launch Houston or Austin for 2020/21.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’shardly A missed trick; EI plans to enter an existing JV with AA, BA, AY and IB for transatlantic flights. This is a full revenue sharing JV meaning EI will be interested in the success of the route without operating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’shardly A missed trick; EI plans to enter an existing JV with AA, BA, AY and IB for transatlantic flights. This is a full revenue sharing JV meaning EI will be interested in the success of the route without operating it!

Now if we could just get EI miles credited to the AAdvantage program...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Tenger wrote: »
    EI could still launch Houston or Austin for 2020/21.

Austin would be useful.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Any trip reports AA DUB-DFW ?

I haven't done DFW but have flown their 787 TATL. Economy terrible, business good, would like to try premium economy as it's well reviewed on the -9. I wouldn't fly economy on AAs 787 again to be honest unless I was stuck. Then again, on every trip I've made to DFW connecting with United I've been left with delays and one 24 hour stranding in IAD. Connecting in and out of DFW is a nightmare in my experience - lots of ground stops due to weather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Main Cabin Extra seats on the 787s are good, regular Y is an ordeal however. That being said that's not unique to AA, pretty much every 787 operator has a terrible standard Y hard product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Noxegon wrote: »
    Austin would be useful.

Why useful? While it is the capital of Texas, I would have thought that it is very much a second tier city in the States and can't see how there would be a large flow of two way reciprocal traffic between there and Ireland. I've never heard of Austin having a measurable Irish diaspora either. Just googling Wikipedia, it is only the 30th largest metro area by population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas#United_States

If DFW figures exceed expectations, don't be surprised if UA swoop in and add a route from DUB to their hub in Houston in the next year (which interestingly, per the Wikipedia link is the only top 10 most populous metro area in the US that now doesn't have a direct flight to Ireland). Houston is surely on Aer Lingus' shortlist for 2020 US route announcements.

Austin a considerable Tech hub e.g Intel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Austin a considerable Tech hub e.g Intel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEig1GkLSMY ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ongarboy wrote: »
    Why useful?

I have to go there several times a year :)

FWIW, it is rapidly turning into a technology hub. Just one link:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.statesman.com/news/20190131/source-google-to-occupy-35-story-office-tower-in-downtown-austin%3ftemplate=ampart

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Was up there every day this week ( have a client near the ALSAA swimming pool ) I have to re-enter the main thoroughfare on the road opposite the Circle K garage. The traffic ( I am there around noon-13h00 ) is now building back up to the Airport.

Becoming a mission to exit the Airport these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ryanair to resume Marseille again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Was up there every day this week ( have a client near the ALSAA swimming pool ) I have to re-enter the main thoroughfare on the road opposite the Circle K garage. The traffic ( I am there around noon-13h00 ) is now building back up to the Airport.

Becoming a mission to exit the Airport these days.

Needs a flyover to replace entrance roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Ryanair to resume Marseille again.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Entry prices are €36 and €43. Hoping they will drop back a bit when 2020 prices settle.

Advertisement