Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Question re: booking EI long haul and the new saver fares, its been a couple of years since I flew with them across the pond.

Is it possible to book a saver fare, then add a bag at a later date if needed? Basically, two people going away but only the need for one bag max, there is a €200 difference between the saver fare with no bag, and smart fare which has two bags.

You can. If your not worried about sitting together thats fine, if not, you will need to buy seats too. So all in all, by the time you pay for a bag and seats(if needed) you will not be far off the 2 smart saver fares. Looked at booking New York for 2 adults and 3 kids. So looked at 1 adult and 2 kids with the smart fare, 1 adult and 1 kid with the saver fare because we only needed 3 bags and with this combination it was only a few euro's off the smart fare booking with 5.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anyone know what the problem in Manchester Airport was today? Long delays, widespread cancellations this evening, EI212 is showing as cancelled, but also appeared on BHX arrival boards as well as a Turkish flight from Manchester and TUI flight from Manchester to Dalaman landing in BHX.

A Scandinavian flight to Oslo took off an hour ago, circled and landed in Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

dfx- wrote: »
    Anyone know what the problem in Manchester Airport was today? Long delays, widespread cancellations this evening, EI212 is showing as cancelled, but also appeared on BHX arrival boards as well as a Turkish flight from Manchester and TUI flight from Manchester to Dalaman landing in BHX.

A Scandinavian flight to Oslo took off an hour ago, circled and landed in Liverpool.

Power failure. Planes unable to refuel. I'd say the SAS went to Liverpool to refuel.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Does anyone know the absolute latest I should be at Dublin airport for a 10.30 Ryanair flight? I've got fastpass for security, no check in bags. Flying out Friday, didn't realise my vote hasn't transferred and it's in Galway, so voting at 7am and public transport across the country is cutting it fairly tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

masit wrote: »
    You can. If your not worried about sitting together thats fine, if not, you will need to buy seats too. So all in all, by the time you pay for a bag and seats(if needed) you will not be far off the 2 smart saver fares. Looked at booking New York for 2 adults and 3 kids. So looked at 1 adult and 2 kids with the smart fare, 1 adult and 1 kid with the saver fare because we only needed 3 bags and with this combination it was only a few euro's off the smart fare booking with 5.

I second this. Especially if booking in advance, the saver fare looks very attractive, but as I found out afterward, when you get closer to the time and realise you'll need to check a bag after all it can cost more for the bag, and in addition you get no choice over where you sit so you've to pay more if you want to guarantee a seat of your choice. If the flight is not full then it isn't too hard to ask for a seat you'd like at the check in desk, but if full you won't be guaranteed to sit beside someone else on your ticket OR get a seat that you'd prefer.

All in all, I probably wouldn't do the saver fare again. Going transatlantic it feels a bit nicer to have confirmation that you can have a bag and pick your seat in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Power failure. Planes unable to refuel. I'd say the SAS went to Liverpool to refuel.

Looked like the Cork flight stopped to refuel on Isle of Man before continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah its only a saving of €60, before seat selection etc.. Not really worthwhile at all

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Does anyone know the absolute latest I should be at Dublin airport for a 10.30 Ryanair flight? I've got fastpass for security, no check in bags. Flying out Friday, didn't realise my vote hasn't transferred and it's in Galway, so voting at 7am and public transport across the country is cutting it fairly tight.
    I would say you should be getting to T1 by 0920.
    ~5 mins from coach park to T1, ~10-15 mins thru security, ~15-20 mins to walk to pier 1. Gate closes 10 mins before departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Traffic could make that fall apart very quickly, be careful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Yeah, not going to do it. I already changed the flight once when I thought my vote had been successfully moved so I could vote in Dublin, can't afford to change it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Non connecting flights in Dublin airport - Do you have to leave T1 out to the hall and do the walkway to T2 security or can you do a shortcut without entering the arrival area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Non connecting flights in Dublin airport - Do you have to leave T1 out to the hall and do the walkway to T2 security or can you do a shortcut without entering the arrival area?

Yeah, here's a guide:
    https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-connections/self-connecting-passenger-information

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I'm flying to LA next week with Aer Lingus. Does anyone know what the WiFi is like on the flight or have had any experience with it? I've heard a few people saying it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm flying to LA next week with Aer Lingus. Does anyone know what the WiFi is like on the flight or have had any experience with it? I've heard a few people saying it doesn't work.
    It works fine for email and texting, but attachments or photo sending or streaming is usually a terrible idea.

It works fine for email and texting, but attachments or photo sending or streaming is usually a terrible idea.

No good for the likes of Snapchat so? Think I'll just watch movies on the flight! Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Are you at the front or the back ? I have only ever used it at the front and i would rate it at about 70% in terms of quality. It has definitely been better on some aircraft than others, but i have never bothered to track this. On some trips I have gone most of the flight with both a phone and laptop on corporate email and jumped on and off servers etc, a bit slow but usable, but other flights it has barely worked at all, constantly dropping and having to sign in etc.

Colleagues have told me that it can be poor at the back, but others have said its ok, but like most airlines, its definitely not for streaming stuff etc. In the back, unless you are Concierge level you will have to pay for it, and unless its a compelling work reason i wouldn't bother paying. I have never actually checked how much data i have used with the phone/laptop usage, but the cheapest option only has a 50mb limit and most smartphones will chew through this once you have any images loading via the usual apps.

No good for the likes of Snapchat so? Think I'll just watch movies on the flight! Thanks for the reply.

snapchat photos? no, snapchat texts? yes. The problem is the speed is drastically limited due to it going into space for the majority of the flight. Coverage might be a bit better when it's over ground but it still got to travel 11km down to the ground.

mx5ire wrote: »
    Are you at the front or the back ? I have only ever used it at the front and i would rate it at about 70% in terms of quality. It has definitely been better on some aircraft than others, but i have never bothered to track this. On some trips I have gone most of the flight with both a phone and laptop on corporate email and jumped on and off servers etc, a bit slow but usable, but other flights it has barely worked at all, constantly dropping and having to sign in etc.

Colleagues have told me that it can be poor at the back, but others have said its ok, but like most airlines, its definitely not for streaming stuff etc. In the back, unless you are Concierge level you will have to pay for it, and unless its a compelling work reason i wouldn't bother paying. I have never actually checked how much data i have used with the phone/laptop usage, but the cheapest option only has a 50mb limit and most smartphones will chew through this once you have any images loading via the usual apps.
    snapchat photos? no, snapchat texts? yes. The problem is the speed is drastically limited due to it going into space for the majority of the flight. Coverage might be a bit better when it's over ground but it still got to travel 11km down to the ground.

Okay thanks for the replies. I think I'll avoid unless I get very bored :p

The AeroMobile service that allows you to make calls and texts during a flight, I read that you are charged as per your network (Vodafone) for texts and calls. Is it possible to use the mobile data you have with AeroMobile during flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No, it's for texts and calls only. There won't be any bandwidth for anything else, and it would be "out of bundle" data charges even if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

MJohnston wrote: »
    No, it's for texts and calls only. There won't be any bandwidth for anything else, and it would be "out of bundle" data charges even if there was.

You really need to watch out for this. On Qatar my phone connected to some network the plane creates (not sure how it works). I had fallen asleep before take off. As a result it downloaded a few MBs of updates and ended up costing me close to 100 quid.

• Advertisement

turn off roaming data. There's a setting on my iPhone to have roaming turned on only for EU and off for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

turn off roaming data. There's a setting on my iPhone to have roaming turned on only for EU and off for others.

But I use roaming data. I got caught that time because I was happily using roaming data in Qatar at Red Connect rates (of 3e per day or something). If I could pick individual countries to enable roaming data in that'd work I guess, but I travel out of the EU a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Anyone been through shannon in the past few days , has the arrival of the trump increased times to get in and around the airport. ive a 7am flight sunday and am wondering if i was at the airport at 5:30am would i have enough time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

dashoonage wrote: »
    Anyone been through shannon in the past few days , has the arrival of the trump increased times to get in and around the airport. ive a 7am flight sunday and am wondering if i was at the airport at 5:30am would i have enough time

61815891_2246895292066615_2118683293825105920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=841ca1a5eb93936b7d3abc5ac1be0f10&oe=5D93A0D7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

GBX wrote: »
    dashoonage wrote: »

61815891_2246895292066615_2118683293825105920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=841ca1a5eb93936b7d3abc5ac1be0f10&oe=5D93A0D7

You'd think someone would check there first, it's been well advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jaysus. Though crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Came home yesterday from Boston to Dublin - just over 5 hours. That's nothing!!! And yet when I went over there it was 7 hours. Ive heard some people say the jet stream pushes it back faster, others say the spin of the earth. Does anyone know the scientific reason why planes seem to arrive much faster from America to Europe than vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The jet stream. It's a current of air that can move at several hundred km/h from west to east, around the same level as cruising airliners.

Typically a westbound crossing will be an hour or so longer on any timetable than an eastbound one.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Look up headwinds and tailwinds. Basically (I think ) becausw the plane is flying into the wind on the way over to us it takes longer than when it's being pushed by the wind home to the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Wife is in from JFK @05.50, being estimated now for 05.30. Coffee and on the road to Shannon I suppose

Advertisement