Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are these fees excessive?

• 06-08-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine bought a small agricultural field off a neighbour for €4,000, with the agreement that he would pay the sellers legal fees. His own solicitors fee is €1,800 and the sellers is €1,300. 2 different firms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I would definitively say that's on the high side. Is that just for the professional fee though? If it includes land registry fees, VAT, etc., then it does not seem high.

It does seem on the high side though, especially as if it's agricultural land then it's not the same as residential land where you have to investigate taxes like NPPR, LPT, and then planning issues (if any) etc.

If it's literally just a registered plot of land where all the land comprised within a folio is being transferred then that's definitively high.

I would have thought about €800-900 for both sides professional legal fees and that's even not the lowest.

Firms seem to be trying to bill as high as they can now with the pandemic incase work dries up! Get both sides to ring around and get quotes for lower prices and go back to both firms they have acting for them and get them to come down a bit in their fees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    To credibly comment on legal fees one would need to be experienced in that area and to have read the file. Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    To credibly comment on legal fees one would need to be experienced in that area and to have read the file. Closed

Apologies to the mods. Excellent point re reviewing the file as a whole. The title could be complicated and if so then the above fees would actually be rather small. I was just giving an average kind of price based on a more straightforward type purchase/transfer for that kind of purchase price for just a piece of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Ok, thanks Chops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement