Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Honey vegan?

Options
  • 16-07-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I really want to know a satisfactory answer for this. Surfed lots but didn't find a satisfying answer. Can I use it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

As it is produced by animals it isn't Vegan. Any food or product that either contains or is made from a commodity produced by an animal is not Vegan.

That being said I have known Vegans who do eat Honey, their justification was that Bees are an important pollinator. However it must be stressed that they are the minority, most Vegans and Vegan products will not use Honey.

Do what you feel is best for you. It is best to not be dogmatic and do something because other people tell you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I really want to know a satisfactory answer for this. Surfed lots but didn't find a satisfying answer. Can I use it?

Nope. There are lots of alternatives though. Maple syrup is tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Xcellor wrote: »

Is that not the blood of a maple tree though?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

When I told my vegan wife how figs were made, she had a hard decision to make.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

More like its lymph fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I've never understood this. The bees are used and kept by farmers to pollinate crops. Are apples not vegan because bees are used in their production? Who's honey is then cultivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Xcellor wrote: »

The "Land of soya milk and maple syrup" doesn't do it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The bumble bees are basically kept as slaves by the bee keeper, thus it isn't vegan.

I've never understood this. The bees are used and kept by farmers to pollinate crops. Are apples not vegan because bees are used in their production? Who's honey is the cultivated?

That's true. Bee farms that loan out hives to pollinate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

And the apples from the flowers pollinated by the bee. Are they not the work of an animal too. Particularly any apples you buy commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    The bumble bees are basically kept as slaves by the bee keeper, thus it isn't vegan.

He's not much of a beekeeper if he's keeping bumblebees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Vegans eat vegetation though anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Bees don't make honey, they harvest it from plants. Like what fruit pickers do. Is an apple vegan because it was picked by an animal, i.e. a bird or a fruit picker? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Do what you feel is best for you. It is best to not be dogmatic and do something because other people tell you to.

This, plus to add to that, bees probably thrive in beehives, they have optimal conditions to be as happy as they can bee. There will be no animal suffering. Enjoy the honey.

That being said I have known Vegans who do eat Honey, their justification was that Bees are an important pollinator. However it must be stressed that they are the minority, most Vegans and Vegan products will not use Honey.

Honeybees are extremely efficient at collecting pollen and returning it to their hives, but as a consequence they transfer little to the flowers they visit. They are quantifiable less effective at pollination than wild bees.

Bees don't make honey, they harvest it from plants. Like what fruit pickers do. Is an apple vegan because it was picked by an animal, i.e. a bird or a fruit picker? I think not.

Well thats wrong, bees start making honey, which is their food, by visiting flowers. They collect a sugary juice called nectar from the blossom by sucking it out with their tongues. They store it in what's called their honey stomach, which is different from their food stomach.

When they have a full load, they fly back to the hive. There, they pass it on through their mouths to other worker bees who chew it for about half an hour. It's passed from bee to bee, until it gradually turns into honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riponhassan

As it is produced by animals it isn't Vegan. Any food or product that either contains or is made from a commodity produced by an animal is not Vegan.

Thanks for the valuable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

As with the industrial production of any animal derived foodstuff, a lot of companies don't give a damn about the animals producing the food. Look how many are killed in 1 minute. This video is from America and I don't know what the production methods are in other countries

In any case , this film. made me decide not to buy mass-produced honey. If you want to buy honey, I suggest looking for local small scale producers and maybe ask if you can visit their colony. You may then be very happy to support them by buying their honey.

This is from the film "More than Honey", available to watch on you tube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Poncke wrote: »
    Honeybees are extremely efficient at collecting pollen and returning it to their hives, but as a consequence they transfer little to the flowers they visit. They are quantifiable less effective at pollination than wild bees.

My honey bees are wild bees.
    Native Irish black bees. I bought one nuc of native black bees, the other hives are inhabited by swarms that found their own way here and are more than happy with the accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

human 19 wrote: »
    If you want to buy honey, I suggest looking for local small scale producers and maybe ask if you can visit their colony. You may then be very happy to support them by buying their honey.
    I’m the very same! I won’t buy a carrot from a supermarket. Direct from the farmer, but only after he’s agreed to let me walk up and down his carrot patch!

I’ve the farmers driven mad. A weekly shop takes me a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

I had to go and look this up- I really didn't know about the wasps!
    safe to say, I have been turned off figrolls for life :(

Here’s the good news: According to Karla Stockli, the CEO of the California Fig Advisory Board, more than 95 percent of figs produced and sold commercially in California are self-pollinating. And luckily, many of the figs that we buy in the U.S. are from California. “California produces 100 percent of the nation’s dried figs and 98 percent of fresh figs under the best growing conditions and highest quality standards in the world,” Stockli explains.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-are-figs_n_57bc3dc5e4b03d51368a989a?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Poncke wrote: »
    Here’s the good news: According to Karla Stockli, the CEO of the California Fig Advisory Board, more than 95 percent of figs produced and sold commercially in California are self-pollinating. And luckily, many of the figs that we buy in the U.S. are from California. “California produces 100 percent of the nation’s dried figs and 98 percent of fresh figs under the best growing conditions and highest quality standards in the world,” Stockli explains.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-are-figs_n_57bc3dc5e4b03d51368a989a?

hmm does that apply to the ones we buy in Europe? Honestly, now when i think of the crunchy bits in figrolls... ew., never again. And they were my go to 'healthy' biccie! :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

hmm does that apply to the ones we buy in Europe? Honestly, now when i think of the crunchy bits in figrolls... ew., never again. And they were my go to 'healthy' biccie! :(:D

"Luckily for us, the female fig produces an enzyme that digests this wasp completely. The crunchy bits are seeds, not wasp parts"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Pedantic, but you've known vegetarians who thought they were vegans. If they eat honey, they're not vegan.
    In agreement with you overall of course.

He's not much of a beekeeper if he's keeping bumblebees.

He meant bumbling beekeeper...

Bees DO make honey. Jesus wept. They collect nectar. They produce honey as food for the next generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How are figs made? I thought they just grow on tree's...Or are they like Almonds requiring massive amounts of bee's to pollinate

Advertisement