Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Who actually buys Opels? Who do they appeal to? They have to be the most bland brand out there. I can think of cool hyundais and cool kia cars and cool skodas. But Opels are just terrible in every way. You can say an astra opc but it's still a horrible little opel. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who actually buys Opels? Who do they appeal to? They have to be the most bland brand out there. I can think of cool hyundais and cool kia cars and cool skodas. But Opels are just terrible in every way. You can say an astra opc but it's still a horrible little opel. I don't get it.

Vectra OPC or vxr are insane...

Other then that wouldn't touch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Subjectiveness at it's finest, the last cool skoda was the felicia fun :P

That's why I sold my Opel Vectra recently and got myself an Alfa Romeo GT..

Vectra OPC or vxr are insane...

Other then that wouldn't touch them.

Except you can't go around a bend in one .

https://youtu.be/jUcgUmD7Iuw

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Opels have always offended me too. I just find the interiors are full of little annoyances. Nothing huge, just lots of little things like they go out of their way to make using one not especially pleasant.

With PSA/Stellantis calling the shots I’m sure these will be ironed out. I’m not sure that anyone would buy an Opel for a specific reason. There must be some reason as they sell a reasonable amount of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I can't actually think of one thing that an Opel has going for it. There is no standout reason for buying one.

Plus, I reckon the Insignia is the most common car to see broken down at the side of the road. I always see them like this.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There must be some reason as they sell a reasonable amount of them.

Wonder is this burned into the nations collective psyche ?

Ireland+1990.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27960812

Has to be a typo @ €19,500

Mental,my last car was a Mini and I know a bit about them.There is zero justification for this price.Its rare enough in that it's a JCW and has has reasonable mileage considering it's age,also only one owner so about €4k.
    Nobody will give him anywhere near that Looney tunes money.
    Perhaps he's banking on there being a large Mini enthusiast market (which there is)Unfortunately for him that group really know their stuff and the only reaction he would get there would be laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

The Insignia is a very common fleet car. I bought a 5 year old Insignia a few year ago, worst car I ever owned. Thankfully I bought it from a dealer so I had warranty, as the engine dropped a valve, and bearing went in the gear box within a few weeks of buying it. It also was the model that the recall, due to the power steering pipe leaking onto the exhaust manifold causing fires. I was glad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Opels have always offended me too. I just find the interiors are full of little annoyances. Nothing huge, just lots of little things like they go out of their way to make using one not especially pleasant.

With PSA/Stellantis calling the shots I’m sure these will be ironed out. I’m not sure that anyone would buy an Opel for a specific reason. There must be some reason as they sell a reasonable amount of them.

My first car was a corsa and while it did its job very well for 3 years and cost me nothing but tyres and an o2 sensor, one niggle that really got me was the 12v socket was actually a blank. No ability to charge your phone, use a GPS or fm transmitter. Like it shouldn't even be an option to spec a car with a blank. Surely it should be standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

HBC08 wrote: »
    Mental,my last car was a Mini and I know a bit about them.There is zero justification for this price.Its rare enough in that it's a JCW and has has reasonable mileage considering it's age,also only one owner so about €4k.
    Nobody will give him anywhere near that Looney tunes money.
    Perhaps he's banking on there being a large Mini enthusiast market (which there is)Unfortunately for him that group really know their stuff and the only reaction he would get there would be laughter.

Probably has low milage as it spent most of its life parked in a garage instead of being driven.
    Other half had one for 7 months and honestly I don't she ever got more than 2 weeks straight without something going wrong with it, and from talking to others that is not an odd experience owning one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Killinator wrote: »
    Probably has low milage as it spent most of its life parked in a garage instead of being driven.
    Other half had one for 7 months and honestly I don't she ever got more than 2 weeks straight without something going wrong with it, and from talking to others that is not an odd experience owning one.

They are class looking cars and great fun to drive.I really loved that car but you're right,they do give problems.I probably wouldnt own one again but I have rented them on holidays and we do so again (convertible)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

I bought mine in 2012 i think it was for €1800 and the fella was glad to get that for it from what i can remember.

Twud sicken ya I sold a 96 RX7 just fully rebuilt absolutely mint for 3.5K in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Rx713B wrote: »
    Twud sicken ya I sold a 96 RX7 just fully rebuilt absolutely mint for 3.5K in 2012

Damn I could have picked up some deals back then. I was banned from driving for 4 years and had to drive around a Ford Focus and then a 1.5 Mitsubishi around that time to build up NCB so wasn't even looking up nice metal to buy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This isn't about the price as tbh I have zero clue what the values should be, but

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/extreme-low-mileage-renault-megane-/27924649?campaign=3

Now shoot me down in flames if ye will and maybe I'm horribly out of touch, but how on god's green earth is 150,000 kms, that's touching cloth on 100,000 miles in old money "EXTREME LOW MILEAGE!!"???? :confused:

It's not extreme low but I suppose it is low enough considering it's a diesel but that may be a bad thing too as a diesel going up and down the motorway with high mileage may have a healthier engine than one that was going on short journeys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rx713B wrote: »
    Damn I could have picked up some deals back then.
    Yeah, there can be an element of kicking oneself alright. That cry has been heard in nearly every generation of petrolheads. There always comes a time when cars, even very nice cars just hit rock bottom depreciation. OK it's less in play at Ferrari levels, but even there you had periods where some examples could be had for not far off new Ford saloon car money, because even they became "old cars" at one point. E-Type Jags and the like were scrapped on the regular at one time. When the interwebs came along some reckoned what with all the info and access to expertise and parts that wouldn't happen again, but it will. Or has at least.

I reckon it happened here to an even greater extent than most places because of the Celtic Tiger, loads buying nice iron on "free" credit, a huge JDM import market(biggest in the world at one time IIRC) and then the Celtic Tiger turned out to be a wonky eyed moggie with a limp and mange and fashions changed and pockets got much shallower. Near overnight too. Never mind the horribly inefficient with apparently bugger all government oversight insurance industry had a huge impact. So there was a glut of very nice cars and values tanked. I remember a glut of even 911's around the post tiger hangover all going for significantly less than in the UK. The Jap stuff died a death overnight. Couldn't insure them without selling both kidneys and fashions changed and import taxes went right up. So by around 2010-2015 there was a lot of nice stuff at knock down prices and not selling because there were no buyers.

But yeah if you had a big shed and 20k in cash in 2011 you could have bought some very nice "investments". Thing is back then almost nobody had the interest or cash or somewhere to store what in many cases were uninsurable cars. Even if you had a time machine maybe you'd hang onto one of your old cars, but that would be about it. I held onto mine almost entirely by mistake and circumstance. I had planned to keep it for 2 or 3 years and would have flogged it on like everyone else and it would be manhole covers now. Pure dumb luck I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

"You will NOT find a Renault car with as little mileage, serviced for this price...FACT."

Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

That crowd are well known for high prices. It's as if the Celtic Tiger never went away with daft prices and an uninformed buyer base waving easy credit around. Now to be fair it's in incredible condition and has genuinely low mileage at 14,000 and is in original unrestored condition. That will always get a big premium. It's also a somewhat sought after Ford, though less so than in the past. Against that in the UK a similar car would be 10 grand less, the rest seems to be made up of the usual Paddy tax. If it cost them much more than 15k I'd be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

E36Ross wrote: »

Saw a gas comment yesterday elsewhere about this. “Factory fresh....with its Clarion CD player out of Aldi” :D

Re-live your teens with this XR3i, complete with period correct love explosion on the back seat :pac:

Looks a very tidy car all the same, steering wheel is quite nice which is not a common feature of old fords!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I think I need the smelling salts after seeing that one. Looks to be in beautiful condition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MOD: Thread Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Vury Dempsey and Makepeace

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Posting Deane motors on here should be considered cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'd gladly pay someone €100 to take that off my driveway.

What's the yoke with all the red cables/pipes going into?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Go faster pipes