Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yeah even though it's the right thing to do I hate it when they get benched. Both Lillard and McCollum had games with 50 points in <30 minutes last season and neither got to play after that.

I'd love to see how high they could push it if they were given free reign and let at it. It's a shame because some coaches let you do it, and we'd never have the 60+ scoring games if everyone was pulled at 50. I know others have done it, but Kerr is very keen on it. I guess it's part of his philosophy and team ethos etc., but I just don't and believe that as competitors that they're entirely happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched the Celtics again last night, were poor enough again, just that OKC were worse, especially Westbrook.

Still a 3-2 start to the year, with only Tatum and Morris mainly keeping them going, is not too bad. Could easily have been 1-4 thou to be honest.

2smiggy wrote: »
    watched the Celtics again last night, were poor enough again, just that OKC were worse, especially Westbrook.

Still a 3-2 start to the year, with only Tatum and Morris mainly keeping them going, is not too bad. Could easily have been 1-4 thou to be honest.

Yeah they look poor - and I say this as a fan.

In other news, Houston have apparently offered 4 1st rounders and Brandon Knight for Butler. If it happens (and I can't see it tbh) that would leave Houston with a $150m+ salary bill next year AND a $98M tax penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Kawhi's no look steal from the other night.

Houston lose again, now 1-4. Will they panic buy and overpay for Butler?

• Advertisement

Random thoughts:
    Boogie ejected from the bench in street clothes last night. :rolleyes: I'd question why he's even ravelling tbh, should be rehabbing and resting - any "team bonding" can be in SF.

The Hornets pinstriped tops and shorts with no pinstripes combo is very weird. I can't see the design logic in this.

Finally, Derrick Jones Jr. had some monster dunks in summer league and three down a huge one this week too. Can't post a link right now but worth looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bit more confident about Portland's playoff chances after the start to the season. OKC and Twolves look completely dysfunctional. I'm sure they'll figure it out but with the west right now every game is massive so dropping them early could be crucial.

Strange-ish take on the Paul-Rondo fight on the Bill Simmons Podcast - they stated that the Paul mushing his finger into Rondo's face was far more disrespectful than the spitting. I've spent a lot of time ion the states, that's a new one on me, but you'd have to take their word for it.

On the spit, whilst he definitely spat, I'm still not 100% sure it was intentional. Either way, I still can't believe all of them got off so lightly.

Simmons is a huge Celtics fan isn't he?

CP3's response to go for the eyes was weird, but I don't begrudge him for retaliating after being spat at and actually think he's unfortunate to get any suspension. Definitely thought all 3 guys would get 5+ games though yeah.

Simmons is a huge Celtics fan isn't he?

CP3's response to go for the eyes was weird, but I don't begrudge him for retaliating after being spat at and actually think he's unfortunate to get any suspension. Definitely thought all 3 guys would get 5+ games though yeah.

He is but he hates the Lakers and isn’t a Rondo supporter - he wasn’t excusing Rondo in any way.

Paul threw a few and landed 2 punches - he was always getting suspended for that regardless of any provocation.

I’m a Celtics fan, Rondo - any player who spits - should have gotten 10games as a minimum.

• Advertisement

Sky's broadcast is really bad, literally ever halftime they just show a recap of one of the last few year's finals for 15 minutes.

Ty Lue sacked. I expect Love to be gone by the deadline.

Ty Lue sacked. I expect Love to be gone by the deadline.

No shock, he had to be the luckiest coach in NBA history the way things fell for him in 2016. I don’t rate him at all and think he’ll really struggle to find another head coaching job if he decides to stay in coaching.

Love would/could have been a great trade asset if they hadn’t given him such a huge contract this summer. I’m not sure what the market would be for him now though...of course someone will take him. Honestly think he’s still undervalued and poorly utilised - the one Cavs game I watched extended highlights of they didn’t use him well at all - again.

Curry breaks little known and largely irrelevant NBA record of opening the season with at least 5 made 3’s in his 7 games (previous record was 6). Now if he could continue this and make at least 5 3’s in every game this year, that would just be incredible.

If he was doing this off catch and shoot/spot ups that would be one thing; to do it from the distance he does it from, the degree of difficulty, the step backs/side steps, off the dribble and with the coverage he receives is actually ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I honestly want Steph to get another MVP, just so NO-ONE can ever say he's overrated.

Went through the fixtures on Sky there, Celtics and Lakers ranking 1 and 2 for most games being broadcast unsurprisingly, what is a surprise though is that the Bucks are third.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I honestly want Steph to get another MVP, just so NO-ONE can ever say he's overrated.

I'd strongly argue he's actually under-rated (or perhaps under-appreciated) given what he's achieved to date and how he has changed how shooting is perceived in the league. For various reasons he hasn't quite garnered the respect his game deserves from certain players and certain media outlets and I think most of that is hugely unfair. He has changed how the PG position will forever be judged from now on. He is the most important player on that team (even more so than KD) for a variety of reasons.

The no MVP in the Finals is a tough one - he should have been the MVP of the 1st win, he was injured in the second, and arguably could have been this year's.

TBH, I don't get why he isn't fully appreciated.

Well Klay just broke the record for 3s in a game with 14, they had 92 points vs the Bulls at half time and aren't slowing down with 110+ halfway through the third quarter.

Aaaand the starters have been pulled. Klay has 52 in 27 minutes, could've legitimately gone for 80+.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

After his slump, Klay improved his 3-pointer stats back to .420% / 6.9 3PA.

And Kerr once again sits a hot starter in the 4th.
    It's crazy to think that Curry/Klay could've had multiple 70+ point games at this stage in their careers.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    After his slump, Klay improved his 3-pointer stats back to .420% / 6.9 3PA.

And Kerr once again sits a hot starter in the 4th.
    It's crazy to think that Curry/Klay could've had multiple 70+ point games at this stage in their careers the season.

FYP. We're 8 games into the season, they should really just be warming up and feeling their way in at this stage. It's an insanely high-level of basketball, at the highest level. That said, Chicago looked awful.

The Clippers did a tribute video for Austin Rivers when the Wizards visited last week. A tribute video for a guy who was a bench player for a few years and one of the most despised players and teammates in the league (and that's before we talk about the dad issue)? FFS.

I prefer this one (pretty sure I posted this a few years ago):

Whilst it was cool to see Klay do that last night I don't think anyone would think he's a better shooter than Steph. Which is another thing that annoys me about Kerr's substitution policy - Curry could easily have gone for 15 and more the other night, and on many more occasions to be fair. Likewise, Klay could have aimed for 18-20 last night.

I reckon one of them will beat 15 later this year anyway....if they want AND if they're allowed.

Steph's run of 5 made 3s is over too which really annoys me. Would have been awesome to see him hit 5 per game in all 82. Hard to hit 5 when you only attempt 4 though. :rolleyes:

Rockets drop to 1-5, I know Harden is injured but they look terrible. They shot 32% from the field as a team tonight.

Rockets drop to 1-5, I know Harden is injured but they look terrible. They shot 32% from the field as a team tonight.

Yeah they look awful. The injuries and suspensions don't help but Paul missed 10games at the start of last year too don't forget and they weren't like this.

Losing Ariza and M'Bah Moute have hurt more than they bargained for defensively, and gaining Melo hasn't helped - it was never going to help defensively but when pretty much everyone is saying Melo is past it, then maybe you need to ask yourself why.........

I know Anderson didn't do much in the Play Offs, but he was good in the regular season last year, and that's another hole. They're in trouble.

Wait for the panic trade!

So Rose goes for a career high 50 against arguably the best defence in the league. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So Rose goes for a career high 50 against arguably the best defence in the league. :confused:

Rolling back the years.

Such a shame he was destroyed by those injuries :(

Brian Windhorst has started a new podcast relatively recently. I like Windhorst on tv and when he's contributing to other podcasts, but there's something about this that gives off a vibe that's he's not entirely comfortable in the hosting chair. He seems to be speaking more slowly, and a bit uncertain at times. The audio quality of the 3 I've listened to has been shocking, and I can't understand why this would be the case. Content wise it's good, but the delivery is quite monotone and dare I say, a bit boring - but I have levelled that charge at the Woj pod previously and that's grown on me.

Open Floor, Simmons/Ringer, and The Lowe Post remain my go to pods though, in more or less that order.

Jimmy sitting/being sat last night would likely indicate we're somewhat closer to a deal, but given how it's gone so far, who knows?

• Advertisement

JR Smith in trouble for tweeting he would like to be traded. And his side ho ain't happy either.....:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement