Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

• 26-03-2018 8:45am
    Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Hi guys,

We have released the link to our new Met Éireann website, available from the link at https://beta.met.ie/

This is still a beta site and both websites will be running for a period with all products produced as normal but current site will be eventually be replaced by this new site.

New iOS and android app will be released probably around the changeover too.

This site is still under some development.
    There's an issue with radar length and meteogram times at the moment, possibly due to UTC times so bear with us today!

Feedback welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The old site is way better. The graphics are not very good on the new site. The rainfall radar is much better though. The way the site is organised on mobile isn't great. This is only on mobile, I'll have a look on my laptop later.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Looks great. Having the radar on the home page is a welcome change, as well as the updated interval and graphics. It has a nice flow, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Really dislike the map -- would prefer the older one which just shows counties -- maybe add a few towns or cities but this is just too busy. Like the other features -- very clear charts etc but that map......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I like it, having the rainfall radar on the homepage is a welcome change.

Just a minor bugbear, when you're trying to scroll down on the main page using desktop version it zooms out of the rainfall radar if the cursor is placed over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I absolutely love it, especially how the Ireland extreme records page now has the location and year the record was recorded. I always found it frustrating and tedious to find out when they were recorded before on the old site.

Huge well done on the site, I also like the appearance of it.

https://beta.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

• Registered Users Posts: 22,104 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I like it, having the rainfall radar on the homepage is a welcome change.

Just a minor bugbear, when you're trying to scroll down on the main page using desktop version it zooms out of the rainfall radar if the cursor is placed over it.

this ^
    When trying to scroll down the page, it just keeps zooming in to the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭DavidJC

Delighted to see the progress.

My observations:
    I first looked for a speed setting on the radar/forecast loops - hopefully this can be implemented.

The forecast overcast map - I think it would be preferable to have a cloud cover/rain/snow overlay rather than the symbols which are very limiting on a changeable day09d.png

The BBC weather site has recently changed to show graphics more like on their TV output on a timeline slider and I really like it.
    I would love if Met Eireann adopted something like that.
    For example: https://www.bbc.com/weather/2964574

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Thumbs up from me .. looks nicely laid out .. i like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On a laptop anyway its good.

Would love to see dew points added to the latest reports section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ascophyllum

I really like it, the radar map could be a touch smaller on the desktop screen, I love the chronological layout lower down, its similar to windguru adn yr.no, this is especially useful for people working on the sea, a sudden wind change at 3pm from SW to SE is apparent there for a location whereas on the old version it wouldnt be, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

Like the layout, a big improvement, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

So far so good, liking the layout of it on my laptop! I find it easier to navigate then the previous one . The rainfall radar is now in a great position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Great to finally get a preview of this, long overdue.

First impressions on the map, the rainfall radar is a massive improvement, zoomable, 5 minute frequency, easily distinguishable colours and most importantly it seems to be using the Belfast radar so I finally won't have to rely on UK sites when I'm in Donegal. A minor improvement that'd be nice is having the radar update when you drag the time-interval bar, similar to netweathers radar app.

The new forecasting tools are also excellent (is that using Harmonie?), particularly for rainfall. The temperature colour progression is the only issue I'd have there, a lot of the colours are too similar so even checking the legend its hard to know what you're looking at. Having a few isotherms on the map might be better and I'm not sure what the W's and C's refer to?

I'd agree with others that zooming should be based on a button click rather than mouse scroll as doing so zooms out the map. Other than that, I'd prefer a custom map over openstreetmap as there's no need to show all the roads, coastal boundaries etc and it gets a bit messy when you zoom in. Minor complaints though :)

On the rest of the site, forecast presentation and general layout are a huge improvement, I'll play around with it later and give impressions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's a nice change, and I like the new content on a lot of the pages (e.g. airport photos, etc.).

Just a couple of comments:

- It seems very zoomed-in, with a lot of scrolling required. Slightly smaller images and text may make it more user-friendly (but I'm nitpicking here).
    - To have non-rounded temperatures would be great, and also to have dewpoints in there too.
    - The homepage has all the NWP parameters (rain, wind, temperature, pressure), but these can't be accessed from the Forecasts page (as far as I can make out). You have to click back to the homepage to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MetEireann wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We have released the link to our new Met Éireann website, available from the link at https://beta.met.ie/

This is still a beta site and both websites will be running for a period with all products produced as normal but current site will be eventually be replaced by this new site.

New iOS and android app will be released probably around the changeover too.

This site is still under some development.
    There's an issue with radar length and meteogram times at the moment, possibly due to UTC times so bear with us today!

Feedback welcome!

I would say your front page has too much data on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great improvement overall and the Meteogram is a great idea. The fact that it is responsive rather a very basic mobile version is a huge improvement.

I do hope the final version will be hosted in Ireland rather than in the UK :)

I would question the Rain Radar image and the chosen colour legend though.

Analysis below

Version 5: which is in use on current live site is very hard to distinguish between rainfall intensity
    WEB_radar5_201803261300.png

Version 2: in my opinion was the best version and made it very easy to distinguish between rainfall intensity
    WEB_radar2_201803261300.png

Version 3: Which appears closest to the version being used on beta site is better than 5 but still not as clear as 2
    WEB_radar3_201803261300.png

The current version is better than 5 but not as good as 2 or even 3
    metradarnew.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Actually to follow up that the version you tweet is probably the best version and closest to version 2:

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/978220977770426368

Really like the new site. My only comments are on the forecast - on the current site I would normally go for a day of the week, and then jump between the wind, precipitation and temperature forecast. Each time you move to a new section then the time jumps back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I like it in general, great job, few quick points

Improve:
    - Map needs county boundaries if possible. Or enable the option to show a satellite view if the user wants. (never mind, spotted its osm so its whatever it can show)
    - Any chance you could use larger fonts, they can't quite see it from the ISS... more seriously, your fonts are very large. I had to check chrome to see if I had set it to 110%. If it were me, I'd nudge them down a point or two.
    - Speed up the animation on the rainfall radar, its glacial.

Works nicely:
    - Worked nicely on the ipad also, picked up my location and the home page defaults to that data. (again large fonts though, makes it feel zoomed in)
    - Site loads fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Well done.
    Couple of suggestions.
    Forecast overview to include temperature.
    No search facility.
    Cloud cover/sunshine?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Excellent upgrade!

Just a couple of comments on the rainfall radar
    • Possible to have more history on the radar?  The current 6 hours is very handy for predicting showers.
    • Ability to drag the slider and see image update would be great, or even a speed control for updates (as mentioned in earlier posts).
    • Would also agree with earlier post RE colour coding of rainfall intensity - the clearer the differentiation the better.
    Great job all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭rameire

its great,I like the colour, maybe the font is a bit large.

How about you take part in the the monthly Forecasting competition.
    link to march
    March Link

You obviously have missed three months but you could get in now for April and you never know, if your good at forecasting you could win....

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Waves are missing from the forecasting.
    Satellite/forecasts/rainfall images are too big. I need to scroll on my screen to view the entire image, running on the default macbook pro resolution of 1440x900. It just fits on 1680x1050.

Same feedback as others:
    -Homepage is very busy
    -Scrolling on the homepage zooms the map... annoying
    -Speed of the radar playback
    -No preview when sliding through hours/days on the radar or forecast maps.
    -County outlines were very useful to help locate your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Comhrá

New website is nice and a welcome improvement but I feel the radar colours need working on, especially the colour legend and the lack of contrast between land and sea.

28954453_10213110703414483_9077543673484824028_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEZoTumoGDpFT-Wirv_ztwPyuvoz1Wb5lhfxDmAba8pRtLmz5Wz0pmJVf8G5U1eBoLJWZvYWwcxKikvpFAGNBmC-NceSUU7YWsP2snufLBBgg&oh=745d0d655776d592e0a1ea9735df8dc0&oe=5B414D7A

The plain white map of Ireland and the pale blue ocean doesn't really work that well imho, plus there's a little too much distracting information added by way of the road network. County borders might be more beneficial than the roads.

The hi res radar display is so much better though but as someone already pointed out a few posts back, the best colour legend on display was no. 2 shown below:

WEB_radar2_201803261300.png

or even the present hi-res display which would be so much better again.

29512434_10213110675733791_7839372577513857902_n.jpg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeHXlvdm56tAIQ1vNm-t9nPWtxttSGXRgX4gNbqKoJyZrGLvx_8-ctVRJRYcJyXn4d0VLR9wkIenLzD1hSvaiNfy3KdYSXjs8o_kaSzS1I03ZA&oh=2f9456fbf15964a7c029b3c562b55971&oe=5B2A98A6

Still, all in all, a big improvement from what I've seen so far. I'm sure when it's all up & running it will be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hard to change a weather website thats already fairly good.

I used to try and change mine and kept going back to simple format.

Lots of people of all ages use Met Eireann website.

Dont over complicate it.

Main Issues I would improve

1. Rainfall radar...HAS to be like twitter one or not an improvement
    2. Temperatures include the decimal points in latest reports.
    3. Satellites like Sat24 would be nice
    4. Video forecast like Met Uk n BBC.
    5. The main things i look for on Met are latest obsevations nationwide, yesterdays weather and text forecast so leave these as they are as they are satisfactory bar the decimal points.

Its beta but could be better if kept simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alas another upgrade site that won't work in classic-era Opera browsers :(

The forecast progress is rather slow and it needs to scroll so we can decide its rate of progress (broadband speed allowing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Loving it so far, zoomable rainfall radar is great.

Are you planning on implementing precip types? - are these snow patches over Wicklow or coverage gaps/glitches?

446629.PNG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Will take a small bit of getting used to, however great to see and nice improvement. Really liking this new site. A bit of feedback:

1). Love the fact that the radar is now updated every 5 minutes. Something like Netweather where the radar shows precip type would be welcome but still a great improvement. Also, having lightning in the radar is brilliant.

2). Good to see a 6 day outlook tailored to my location, however I am never a fan of painting one day with the same brush, perhaps showing a few icons rather than one to show what the weather will be like? For example, we could easily have heavy rain in the morning and then sunshine for the afternoon and evening, many days can have different types of weather all thrown into few hours.

3). Monthly values up to a certain point and being able to compare them to past years is great. No obivous improvement to be made here!

4) Having all current observations available on mobile and being able to download them are great! However if (as Gaoth Laidir mentioned) we could get temperatures to 1 decimal place and have the dewpoint too, that would be a great advantage.

5). Just spotted the short term and long term forecast charts available on the home page. Brilliant. Valuable resource for us weather enthusiasts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Supercell wrote: »
    Loving it so far, zoomable rainfall radar is great.

Are you planning on implementing precip types? - are these snow patches over Wicklow or coverage gaps/glitches?

446629.PNG
    The pink bits? Those are army firing ranges, Glen of Imaal and Kilbride.

Advertisement