Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

No chain issues on those a lad at work had his go a few weeks ago on a 2011 520d bought 2nd hand but fsh so got it done for 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bazz26 wrote: »
    530d

I guessed off the URL :D

Well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What's the done thing if you service a car yourself regarding the service book. I picked an 06 car up last week with a full service history. During the week I put fresh oil and filters in it. I was just gonna write it in the book, but obviously no stamp or anything.

It's probably worth damn all writing it in though as anyone could do that. Suppose fake service history with stamps is easy done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Order your own stamp, problem solved. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭blade1

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What's the done thing if you service a car yourself regarding the service book. I picked an 06 car up last week with a full service history. During the week I put fresh oil and filters in it. I was just gonna write it in the book, but obviously no stamp or anything.

It's probably worth damn all writing it in though as anyone could do that. Suppose fake service history with stamps is easy done too.

Receipts are the next best thing.
    I sold a car last year and buyer was blown away with the paperwork I supplied.
    Hence he was the first and only person to come and view the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

vintagevrs wrote: »

Anytime I service my own I would write it into the service book and keep the parts receipts as proof. No buyer ever questioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well wear Bazz.
    I guessed off the URL :D

Well wear

Cheers fellas.

Only moved up one year over my 520d but I got a great deal on it and the difference in refinement is much greater. It can shift quickly too for a big enough car. This one has the adaptive chassis dampeners, sunroof, paddle shift, pro nav, etc and only 48k km on the clock.

I know it's not a M car or the likes but I promised myself that I'd get something a little bit different and this fits the bill for me. With these cars going the way of the dodo in the next 10 to 20 years it's nice to own one with a nice bit of torque before they are taxed out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

"With these cars going the way of the dodo in the next 10 to 20 years it's nice to own one with a nice bit of torque before they are taxed out of existence."

This same justification I gave myself. Should be the motors forum tagline. Buy something interesting while you still can!

Getting petrol tonight 1.347 per litre that’s the cheapest I’ve got it this year anyway must have dropped a bit in the last 2 weeks.

Insurance is up in April started looking for rough prices. Aviva seem to be very cheap fully comp 850 euro I paid about 1350 last year. So if I could get it for the 850 I would be laughing considering I am still only 23. I have been with liberty for years and always found them good in terms of call centre staff being helpful and the cheapest. But reckon they wont even come close to that quote Aviva are giving. I am assuming Aviva are reasonably ok to deal with I suppose they are as big as liberty here so can't be too bad.

• Advertisement

1.299 in urlingford at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Aviva and Liberty always cheapest for me. Liberty lost me as a customer for life after fecking me around with the new car. Refused to quote me flat out unless I sent them proof of purchase etc and only then would they send it to a special panel to come up with a price. Can only imagine how high that would have been. Also wouldn't allow me to temporarily insure myself on the new car to take it home from England.

Cancelled my Liberty policy 10 months in. Took the hit of a year no claims. Went with Aviva then for €650 fully comp, full NCB protection. 27, full NCB, no points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Another rad cracked in the 540i last night :rolleyes: Not even in the car 9 months, need to get that done by Saturday before France :rolleyes: damn cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Augeo wrote: »
    Send some down bud

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Aviva and Liberty always cheapest for me. Liberty lost me as a customer for life after fecking me around with the new car. Refused to quote me flat out unless I sent them proof of purchase etc and only then would they send it to a special panel to come up with a price. Can only imagine how high that would have been. Also wouldn't allow me to temporarily insure myself on the new car to take it home from England.

Cancelled my Liberty policy 10 months in. Took the hit of a year no claims. Went with Aviva then for €650 fully comp, full NCB protection. 27, full NCB, no points.
    With liberty a few years (import Honda insight hybrid)find them fair,but hope they don't hike it too much in may,as not too many insurers will cover an import

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Another rad cracked in the 540i last night :rolleyes: Not even in the car 9 months, need to get that done by Saturday before France :rolleyes: damn cars :D

Fook, that's bad luck dude. :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Feck sake, that's rough! What do you reckon did it? Pure bad luck? Or did the cold spell a few weeks back damage it?

That being said, better to happen at home than on a big road trip! And you've got the stretch in the evenings to work on it! I remember replacing my rad the morning of my NCT test... got it in, passed the NCT and a coolant hose blew later that day lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sorry to hear about that, you're well overdue a dose of trouble free motoring now! At least it's happened before you left!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Augeo wrote: »
    Send some down bud
    If it could be sent up to Dublin that would be great, 135.9 in Maxol Ballinteer at the moment and that's probably the cheapest around these parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

I paid 1.43 for the expensive stuff in Cork. Regular was 1.38

Normal petrol gets m,e 150km to the first quarter tank. Expensive stuff got me 180km. That was cruising accross the N25 mind, fully loaded at around 180k

Expensive petrol actually works out better for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Topaz is soon to be in the past circle k popping up in a topaz near you.

Funny how before the more expensive petrol and Diesel they claimed an extra 24km but then that campaign disappeared to bring in up to 3% with the more expensive and extra additives yada yada.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dartz wrote: »
    I paid 1.43 for the expensive stuff in Cork. Regular was 1.38

Normal petrol gets m,e 150km to the first quarter tank. Expensive stuff got me 180km. That was cruising accross the N25 mind, fully loaded at around 180k

Expensive petrol actually works out better for some reason.

What's this expensive petrol you speak of? Premium or just more expensive petrol in a decent garage?

What's this expensive petrol you speak of? Premium or just more expensive petrol in a decent garage?

The premium been sold in topaz or now circle k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The premium been sold in topaz or now circle k

Oh right. Us hill billys out west don't know much about that. :cool:

Oh right. Us hill billys out west don't know much about that. :cool:

Is see as they only rolled it out to a certain number of stations I'm sure to see if it sells, I highly doubtful it will be a big seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Don't know about most cars, but the RX guzzles so much anyway there's actually a legitimate benefit to buying the more expensive fuel. On a c/km basis it goes further by a small amount - which makes a nice difference when you turn half a tank into global warming on one drive.

Can't speak about the power.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Fook, that's bad luck dude. :(
    Feck sake, that's rough! What do you reckon did it? Pure bad luck? Or did the cold spell a few weeks back damage it?

That being said, better to happen at home than on a big road trip! And you've got the stretch in the evenings to work on it! I remember replacing my rad the morning of my NCT test... got it in, passed the NCT and a coolant hose blew later that day lol!
    Sorry to hear about that, you're well overdue a dose of trouble free motoring now! At least it's happened before you left!

Hasn't been ideal now to be fair :D I don't know what caused it to go really, it's not even close to being old or used, maybe under too much pressure but not sure really, it's an odd one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Hasn't been ideal now to be fair :D I don't know what caused it to go really, it's not even close to being old or used, maybe under too much pressure but not sure really, it's an odd one!

Rough going...

But on the plus side, they are handy to change (albeit a bit fiddly negotiating it around the trans cooler pipework) so you won't be without the car for more than an hour :cool:

If it could be sent up to Dublin that would be great, 135.9 in Maxol Ballinteer at the moment and that's probably the cheapest around these parts!

The 24 hour place a few hundred yards from Sarsfield Motors is about 1.29/litre for petrol at the moment iirc.

• Advertisement

Rough going...

But on the plus side, they are handy to change (albeit a bit fiddly negotiating it around the trans cooler pipework) so you won't be without the car for more than an hour :cool:

Yeah they're a handy job, did the last one myself but won't have time to this time around so will have to go to my mechanic I'd say!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement