Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

So I have to travel from castlebar to Dublin in the next 48hrs, any advice on when to go? Travelling with out 10 month old so would prefer to be safe

Tomorrow morning.Should be calm with no rain. Storm will arrive later in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

So I have to travel from castlebar to Dublin in the next 48hrs, any advice on when to go? Travelling with out 10 month old so would prefer to be safe

Tomorrow morning would be best I would think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The latest Met Eireann Warnings...

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry
    Southerly winds associated with Storm Frank will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km with gusts of 100 to 120 km/hour, strongest in coastal areas on Tuesday afternoon, evening and early night.

Issued:Monday 28 December 2015 11:00
    Valid:Tuesday 29 December 2015 12:00 to Tuesday 29 December 2015 23:59

STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Wicklow, Galway, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    Rainfall totals of 40 to 70 mm over 24 hours between Tuesday midday and Wednesday midday.

Issued:Monday 28 December 2015 18:00
    Valid:Tuesday 29 December 2015 12:00 to Wednesday 30 December 2015 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Southerly winds will reach speeds of 45 to 65 km/hour with gusts of 90 to 109 km/hr, strongest on the south coast through the second half of Tuesday and Tuesday night.

Issued:Monday 28 December 2015 11:00
    Valid:Tuesday 29 December 2015 12:00 to Wednesday 30 December 2015 06:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for The rest of the country
    Rainfall totals of 25 to 40 mm over 24 hours between Tuesday midday and Wednesday midday.

Issued:Monday 28 December 2015 18:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

They're closing the Prom in Galway to traffic tomorrow from noon til 8pm because of the high winds and heavy swell forecast and asking people to remove their cars from the car parks before they flood!
    Bet we still see plenty of pics like this though...

372868.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

At any time you feel you are prepared for the journey, having taken into account your method of transport and its capabilities, conditions you're likely to encounter along your chosen route, any likely diversion, your resilliance (i.e. how long you and your 10 month old can be self dependant for).

In line with advice offered already by other posters and published weather forecasts, tomorrow morning may be the best time.

You haven't stated your method of transport i.e. driving own vehicle, passenger in vehicle being driven by someone else, public transport etc...

At a guess I'd say that your driving, so hopefully you already know how your vehicle handles in less than ideal conditions. A few basic vehicle checks such as fluid levels, spare tyre is not flat, top off fuel tank, spare warm clothing for anyone travelling with you. Food, snacks and liquids. Complete change of clothing for yourself in case you have to leave the vehicle and get soaked e.g. changing flat tyre etc... Be prepared for any diversions due to flooding or fallen trees. Don't chance driving through flooded roads (unless water is shallow and you've seen vehicles similar to your own successfully navigate the water. Test brakes after leaving any flood water).

Let someone know your likely route, time of departure and estimated time of arrival. Update them if you have to divert.

AA Roadwatch is a useful site that may highlight any road issues you may encounter on your chosen route.

http://www.theaa.ie/aa/aa-roadwatch.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain warning added to OP. Strange that Clare isn't in it, with Galway above it and Kerry below it is in it. Probably yet another error in the warnings by Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Great advice by Tactical above, for anyone thinking of travel take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Total max gusts on the 12Z ARPEGE.

arpegeuk-52-58-0_jje2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Tactical wrote: »
    At any time you feel you are prepared for the journey, having taken into account your method of transport and its capabilities, conditions you're likely to encounter along your chosen route, any likely diversion, your resilliance (i.e. how long you and your 10 month old can be self dependant for).

In line with advice offered already by other posters and published weather forecasts, tomorrow morning may be the best time.

You haven't stated your method of transport i.e. driving own vehicle, passenger in vehicle being driven by someone else, public transport etc...

At a guess I'd say that your driving, so hopefully you already know how your vehicle handles in less than ideal conditions. A few basic vehicle checks such as fluid levels, spare tyre is not flat, top off fuel tank, spare warm clothing for anyone travelling with you. Food, snacks and liquids. Complete change of clothing for yourself in case you have to leave the vehicle and get soaked e.g. changing flat tyre etc... Be prepared for any diversions due to flooding or fallen trees. Don't chance driving through flooded roads (unless water is shallow and you've seen vehicles similar to your own successfully navigate the water. Test brakes after leaving any flood water).

Let someone know your likely route, time of departure and estimated time of arrival. Update them if you have to divert.

AA Roadwatch is a useful site that may highlight any road issues you may encounter on your chosen route.

Thank you. I'm driving and will be sharing the journey with my husband so we'll have two pairs of eyes on the road and we are fairly experienced drivers. I'd prefer not to be travelling in high winds/rain as no matter how careful you are accidents do happen.
    Will travel tomorrow morning and hope to avoid the worst and be snug at home before it hits fully.

Thanks for the advice guys x

Two pairs of eyes are most definetely better than one. Certainly help to share the load.

This thread or the Current Weather Conditions thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057530358 can provide great updates on conditions also. Not everything makes it onto the AA Roadwatch site as they depend on being notified.

Less travelled roads such as diversions bring you on can yield additional hazards too.

The fact that you're thinking about the trip and seeking out information suggests that you're approaching it in the correct manner. I reckon you'll have an uneventful journey and it'd be great if you'd be able to report in on the conditions you encounter :)

I'll be on the road during the night and certainly will be keeping up to date on developing conditions.

I encountered two accidents on Christmas day due to poor road conditions and know of a third. Accidents do happen and sometimes as careful as you are things can go wrong. Sometimes this can unfortunately be as a result of other peoples lack of preperation or behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Meteociel is already in the sticky, and its the GFS Maq is refering too. Heres the latest ppn charts link.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2

Thanks, though I wish I hadn't looked at them too closely, there's a constant conveyor belt of nasty weather on there for as far as you care to look, which is not exactly pleasing, I'd like a few days for things to dry out some, but I don't think we're going to get them.

We really need to see some significantly colder air that's not capable of carrying so much moisture for a good while, in order for the west to dry out some, and for the Shannon basin to lower the levels some, though that doesn't affect us here in Meath in the same way.

Our problem is a poxy little stream that should have been properly culverted 25 years ago, and it can't be properly maintained any more, as OPW can't get in with machines to clean it properly, it might be small, but water is water, and just over 12 months ago, it was nearly a metre above the top of the channel, which isn't far from my floor level, if that much water had got into the house, we'd have been in deep trouble, figuratively and literally, so it's considerably more than a passing interest when there's a rainfall warning, and keeping fully aware of the risks, and timing, is very important when we get weather like we've had recently, and too often, the heavy rain comes at night, so one of us has to stay awake to watch for debris on the grid, which can raise the levels very quickly. The next few days look like being somewhat stressful, given the potential for significant rainfall.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

In situations such as Irish Steve has described, team work and vigilance is a requirement.

It sounds like an impossible situation.

A water level alarm may be a useful consideration in this situation and may ease the stress a little.

If the appropriate authorities can't or won't address the situation in the short term they may be prepared to fund such an alert system as a temporary measure. If not then you'd need to consider the benefits of funding one yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I'd say a trip to the bathroom takes an hours planning in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is this plan of yours for crossing the Sahara and not little old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Storm 10 wrote: »

To be fair I cant see any of those precautions being overly extreme, although the thought of the poster running through them on a laminated pre-departure checklist before hitting the road is amusing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Drove from the West to Dublin this afternoon. Conditions are pretty bad so the above advice from Tactical should be heeded.

elastico wrote: »
    I'd say a trip to the bathroom takes an hours planning in your house.

Not really. A few simple checks... Lift toliet seat, check adequate supply of toilet paper etc... :p:P:rolleyes:

This type of activity is a learned activity from early childhood.

For the vast majority of motorists, driving in bad weather such as forecast and recently experienced isn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Drove from the West to Dublin this afternoon. Conditions are pretty bad so the above advice from Tactical should be heeded.

I went the opposite way today and had a 'moment' on the motorway where I aquaplaned near Athlone. Care on any road is essential.

Storm 10 wrote: »

No.

I'm approaching this from direct experience.

Crossing the Sahara would be a nice trip and I'd certainly be seeking advice from those experienced in such a trip :D:p:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Perhaps Tactical would like to start a separate thread on it so that this one could stay on topic?

• Advertisement

Coles wrote: »
    Perhaps Tactical would like to start a separate thread on it so that this one could stay on topic?

No, I wouldn't :P

Information / advice posted were in direct reply to a question asked by a poster as were subsequent comments.

I can't see how offering my advice would be taking the thread off topic. Perhaps a moderator may take a different view? Either way, if you have a problem then perhaps you should use the "report post" option available? I don't have a problem with your post but it seems to be the post (in my opinion) that is the most "off topic"

Perhaps you'd like to start another thread discussing the practicalities of what posts should appear in a thread such as this? ;)

Anyhow, given the conditions I encountered on my travels today (wet and windy with amounts of surface water and minor road flooding) I feel that any discussion relating to this and the impeding weather over the next few days to be relevant.

No, I wouldn't :P

Information / advice posted were in direct reply to a question asked by a poster as were subsequent comments.

I can't see how offering my advice would be taking the thread off topic. Perhaps a moderator may take a different view? Either way, if you have a problem then perhaps you should use the "report post" option available? I don't have a problem with your post but it seems to be the post (in my opinion) that is the most "off topic"

Perhaps you'd like to start another thread discussing the practicalities of what posts should appear in a thread such as this? ;)

Anyhow, given the conditions I encountered on my travels today (wet and windy with amounts of surface water and minor road flooding) I feel that any discussion relating to this and the impeding weather over the next few days to be relevant.

There is a weather warning in place for tomorrow My question about advice when to travel seems within the remit of the thread in that case and the advice and answers given were much appreciated. Apologies to the mods if it is deemed off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Strong Wind gusts (mph) up the east coast tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

The road in my housing estate is turning into a river.

Back to the weather. I spent an hour driving the back roads around crossmolina, Bofeenan and glenhest earlier. Conditions are pretty terrible. They're going to be pretty awful with the current rain and the storm to come

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why do these threads attract trolls everytime?

You'd imagine these people are the type found bombing it down the motorway no matter what the conditions are.

They're also the same people who have usually aquaplaned/been blown off course and end up being rescued or worse.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of planning, especially in this weather.

There is a weather warning in place for tomorrow My question about advice when to travel seems within the remit of the thread in that case and the advice and answers given were much appreciated. Apologies to the mods if it is deemed off topic

In my mind, this is exactly the place to ask such a question.

The words "Be prepared" are in the thread title and in my experience asking questions to gather relevant information or to ask opinion is preperation, therefore in the spirit of the thread.

The Netweather website http://netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess= as well as the Met Eireann rainfall radar page http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp can give good information as to what is approaching (be aware of the time delayed data though...)

During a period of bad weather some years ago, I spent many hours re-routing to reach my destination. My journey was in the order of 5 hours longer than it should have taken. I was quite familiar with the areas I was in and where I was going. The landscape really changed and as darkenss fell even more caution was required. There was serious flooding of both main and secondary roads.

I had no smart phone back then and was reliant on ringing two people who were checking the likes of boards.ie and AA Roadwatch and County Council websites for road updates.

I'm glad you found the various responses you received from those who posted in response to your question useful.

I also find that a little bit of light banter helps prevent things getting too serious, especially when things get a little quiet in the lead up to a weather event.

Anyhow, back on topic again... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Rathmines was in a bad way an hour ago, a lot of surface water

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thank you. I'm driving and will be sharing the journey with my husband so we'll have two pairs of eyes on the road and we are fairly experienced drivers. I'd prefer not to be travelling in high winds/rain as no matter how careful you are accidents do happen.
    Will travel tomorrow morning and hope to avoid the worst and be snug at home before it hits fully.

Thanks for the advice guys x

Be extra extra careful on motorways and anywhere that can give you a false sense of security. Standing water on these roads can be hard to spot, especially in low light conditions

Try to stay on the 'driving line' this is the part of the road that will be least likely to have standing water and it will have the most grip. Check your tyres before you leave, make sure they have good tread depth and that they're properly inflated. If they're low on air, this increases the risk of aquaplaning so pump them up

Remember that potholes are invisible if they're under water, this is much more dangerous when there's lots of standing water on the roads making it more difficult to see them, and also more dangerous to avoid them at the last minute.

Drive more slowly than normal, leave extra distance between you and the cars in front and avoid any sudden changes in direction, or velocity

Think like you're driving on ice and you should be fine.

If you start to skid, don't do anything crazy, just ease off the power, or brakes, and gently steer into the skid (point the wheels where you want them to go) You're trying to reduce the factors that caused you to lose grip and regain control. small corrections might be required to avoid over steer, but don't do anything too severe or you could lose control.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

In situations such as Irish Steve has described, team work and vigilance is a requirement.

It sounds like an impossible situation.

A water level alarm may be a useful consideration in this situation and may ease the stress a little.

If the appropriate authorities can't or won't address the situation in the short term they may be prepared to fund such an alert system as a temporary measure. If not then you'd need to consider the benefits of funding one yourself.

Team work indeed, myself, and a neighbour have spent many uncomfortable hours at antisocial times of the night removing all manner of junk that other houses are not prepared to pay to have removed, so things like carpets, continental quilts, tree prunings and the like are regular issues that block grids, and it can take several fit able people to move them when there's a high flow rate, but we're not getting any younger!!

In theory, it may get sorted before too much longer, the local authority commissioned a consultant's report into this section after a flooding event in November 2014 that blocked a number of local roads, and badly damaged 10 houses and a couple of commercial premises, and put another 80 or more houses at "significant" risk, (within 75 mm of being flooded) that report is due to be presented next month, so we can only hope that it will provide some answers. As to when it gets implemented, that's another days work.

We already have alarms, and a couple of very powerful pumps that can throw over 3 Cu mtrs a minute over the wall back into the river, and non return valves to prevent backflow on all the drains, the only other solution is a LOT of jacks under the house to physically lift it by a couple of feet, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

We're paying the price for a failed state management system of construction and building regulations that does nothing to ensure that what's put up is compliant, with the biggest issue being the total lack of accountability and responsibility in the local authority planning departments, and no way to make people that sign certificates responsible for issues that they either missed, or ignored.

Anyway, this isn't storm Frank related, or not directly. Hopefully, we won't get hammered by the rain from it, but we all know that the forecasting systems can't be that specific, so all we can do is make sure that there is someone here to monitor what's happening if we do get significant rainfall, it is that unpredictable, all it needs to cause problems is for a chunk of debris of some sort to lodge on the grid, and the level can rise by over 400 mm in less than 10 minutes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement