Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castlebrand Cookware

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I grew up on Nenagh in the 70s. Back then every house had a few Castle pieces in the kitchen. They ran into financial trouble a few times over the years but always came back. Their copper stuff from later years was top notch stuff. Necxt time I'm down I must see is there any lying around some of the family's places.

A little known fact is they used to make road signs for county councils as well.

Here's a video someone put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Just came across this thread.

My father probably made half of the pots and pans you’re using, and my mother probably packed them into the boxes. They worked there for 20 years each. My father went from labourer to foreman to manager there. I remember being in there as a kid!

He was also the creator of the hardened ionised bases (generally 1/4 inch thick) on the pots back in the 70/80’s before the yanks took over the factory and introduced Calphalon as their “patented” solution. He also introduced some new electro-plating techniques for them.

Our house is full of castlebrand bits and pieces - I actually got a few kettles off them this weekend past to have as keepsakes for the future. Still use the pots on a daily basis and they are flawless - even though they are older than I am :D

The factory is fully decommissioned these days. There is a CrossFit gym operating from it now and doing quite well apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Margaret Mary B

Am interested in buying some of the copper ones if anyone is inclined to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Hi! I have my Grandmothers 15pt (h68) Castlebrand stockpot here, im about to use if for the Christmas ham, but was a bit worried about the inside

base- it has lots of indents is this normal, or could it be lead? Just wondering whether still ok to use, its prob from the 50's I'd say! Will post pics if I can xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Aluminium pots are not recommended anymore. That said, using a pot once or twice a year isn't going to harm you, especially if not using high dry heat. Safer in a hard water area as it tends to coat the surface and not to dissolve the aluminium over time. My parents used them all their lives and lived long and healthy into their nineties. Most families had them and survived.

The surface is often damaged as in your picture, and is fine. As far as I know lead wasn't used in the manufacture.

Don't leave the ham in the pot too long after the cooking time and remove the water if you are going to use it for stock or gravy.

I use only stainless steel or saucepans suitable for induction hob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement