Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Point and Click games always made me feel like an absolute moron :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Point and Click games always made me feel like an absolute moron :(

I feel like that most of the time, welcome, pull up a chair!

I didn't have the "pleasure" of growing up with point n click games but I always had a bit of a fascination with them.
    Tried playing Day of the Tentacle last year and had to get a guide after an hour or so. How are you supposed to know to flush things down the toilet???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

https://twitter.com/SarahWellock84/status/1064900603216834565?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1064900603216834565&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fresetera-resources%2Ftwitter.min2.html%231064900603216834565

Phantasy Star's coming out dec 13th. Really looking forward to this. Played it originally on the GBA collection and I'm looking forward to having another shot at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hurry up with Virtua Racing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just install Retroarch and you can play them today...

Just install Retroarch and you can play them today...

Retroarch isn't going to give me auto-mapping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get some graph paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Get some graph paper.

Quick one for you Retr0....Chronotrigger, Snes or PS1?

Longshot, but I don't suppose anyone here is near the Smyths in Letterkenny (Neil T Blaney Road)? They've something in stock I'd like, no other branch has it, and no delivery option available :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Inviere wrote: »
    Longshot, but I don't suppose anyone here is near the Smyths in Letterkenny (Neil T Blaney Road)? They've something in stock I'd like, no other branch has it, and no delivery option available :(

Do you want to reveal what it is so we can try scour the internet for a good deal?

Don't go with the ps1 versions for any of the SE snes ports. The ff6 one at least has massive loading times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Try the MSU1 version if you're going for SNES.

http://www.zeldix.net/t808-chrono-trigger

I think I've seen you mentioning before that you played the Super Metroid MSU1 hack. The same guy that did the soundtrack for that, did one for Chrono Trigger as well (Blake Robinson). People usually have to buy the soundtrack if they want to use it, but I have it if you need it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Don't go with the ps1 versions for any of the SE snes ports. The ff6 one at least has massive loading times.

This. Chrono Trigger on the PS1 is a total disaster with loading times for everything, including before the start of battles which interrupts the seamless flow of the game. It's ****.

The PS1 FF ports are a disaster as well, with FF5 in particular having a dire localization where they tell you the wrong directions (physical dungeon to east, magic dungeon to west but they are the wrong way around so you end up with the wrong party in each area). FF6 has long load times and when there are timers it counts down during load times making getting shadow almost impossible and super frustrating.

SNES all the way. The DS port is a good alternative

Relikk wrote: »
    I think I've seen you mentioning before that you played the Super Metroid MSU1 hack. The same guy that did the soundtrack for that, did one for Chrono Trigger as well (Blake Robinson). People usually have to buy the soundtrack if they want to use it, but I have it if you need it.

It's nice to have the option of the updated soundtrack but for me I'd go with the original soundtrack for a first time player as you get what the composer intended.

Not like the Chrono trigger soundtrack isn't anything but an absolute masterpiece in vanilla form.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

If we're talking about lucas arts style games
    Darkside Detective on steam is worth a look , really funny point and click adventure game, with Amiga style 16 bit graphics . Its made by a team down in Galway who are a sound bunch.

https://youtu.be/8fOjX-bxRg0

Doge wrote: »
    Do you want to reveal what it is so we can try scour the internet for a good deal?

They had the PSVR Farpoint & Aim Controller bundle for €50, sold out countrywide except for the Letterkeny branch which had x2 left. GameStop provided though in the end (€60 free delivery)...it seems stupidly expensive second hand for whatever reason.

Astrobot Rescue Mission came today and now I can totally see what all the fuss is about!

For many, Mario 64 must have been a revelation in 3D platforming, Astrobot is the next revelation in the genre.

It's just perfectly executed and maximizes use out of VR, the tracking of the dual shock 4, and even the touchpad.

They had the PSVR Farpoint & Aim Controller bundle for €50, sold out countrywide except for the Letterkeny branch which had x2 left. GameStop provided though in the end (€60 free delivery)...it seems stupidly expensive second hand for whatever reason.

That's a great price even at €60! I payed either €75 or €85 for like from Harvey Norman back when they were hard to acquire.

You should pick up Firewall Zero Hour for €20 on the PS Store, unless you must have a physical copy.

Think Rainbow 6 multiplayer in VR.
    If you do pick it up and fancy playing on the same team let me know.

It seems to attract a more mature crowd who focus on teamwork unlike kids playing call of duty.

That's a great price even at €60! I payed either €75 or €85 for like from Harvey Norman back when they were hard to acquire.

I looked on ebay, upwards of €80 just for the controller, and then this for the set :confused: Why so expensive??
    You should pick up Firewall Zero Hour for €20 on the PS Store, unless you must have a physical copy.

I'll be limited to games that require firmware 5.05 or less, and keep the Pro offline permanently because it's on the 'golden' firmware at the mo. The obvious downside to a modded console :o (though I'm a big proponent of modded consoles having no business online anyway)

• Advertisement

I looked on ebay, upwards of €80 just for the controller, and then this for the set :confused: Why so expensive??

Hmmm I had a quick look on eBay.co.uk and spotted a good few for between £50 and £60 brand new?

I guess people will always chance their arm thinking they're still hard to get.

Hmmm I had a quick look on eBay.co.uk and spotted a good few for between £50 and £60 brand new?

I guess people will always chance their arm thinking they're still hard to get.

Maybe so, I only had a quick look as I knew they were available here. Are they discontinued given Smyths seem void of them?

Maybe so, I only had a quick look as I knew they were available here. Are they discontinued given Smyths seem void of them?

I doubt it since Firewall Zero Hour released in a bundle with the Aim not too long ago.

Maybe Sony or retailers are being cautious on how many the my sell / stock.

I'll be limited to games that require firmware 5.05 or less, and keep the Pro offline permanently because it's on the 'golden' firmware at the mo. The obvious downside to a modded console :o (though I'm a big proponent of modded consoles having no business online anyway)

Forgot to ask, aren't you kinda limiting yourself a lot and not getting as much value out of the PSVR for current or future releases by sticking on that firmware?

I presume you're on that firmware for emulation purposes and not naughtier ones. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Surprised to see this much love for the PSVR, I don't see many people outside r/PS4 talking about it.

Hoping to get it again next month :)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Surprised to see this much love for the PSVR, I don't see many people outside r/PS4 talking about it.

Hoping to get it again next month :)

Since the Virtual Reality Forum launched all the VR discussion migrated there, check out the PSVR Discussion Thread.

Forgot to ask, aren't you kinda limiting yourself a lot and not getting as much value out of the PSVR for current or future releases by sticking on that firmware?

I presume you're on that firmware for emulation purposes and not naughtier ones. :o

I am limiting myself, but there's em, small benefits, in doing so :o In all honesty the PS4 homebrew scene is still very immature, especially compared to PS3 and even Switch. I figure it's handy having a Pro on exploitable firmware...I can always buy a second PS4 for the latest games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

DS9 is top of the pile for me too, with TNG second. The stuff with Kes in real life is mad, almost as mad as Chloe from smallville! Though that would be a hard one to top.

Enterprise > DS9> TNG> TOS > Voyager

So what is it!!!!!!

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Enterprise > DS9> TNG> TOS > Voyager

So what is it!!!!!!

Good God man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Good God man...

I know I’m in a minority on that view but I really did enjoy Enterprise. In a mirror Darkly is imho the best Trek episode ever.

Advertisement