Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Picked up Endless Ocean and Opoona in GS with Retr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

marko93 wrote: »
    No idea what the cards are for :rolleyes:

http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising/explore-the-game/#ar-cards

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Personally I really enjoyed TMNT TF. Though the two arcade games will always trump it, it's still a darn good game that cashed in nicely on the SF2 craze that was just starting to come to the boil back then.

Watched a video of it there, couldn't stop myself from getting irritated by the way only one of the two fighters would have a shadow at any given time... >_<

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watched a video of it there, couldn't stop myself from getting irritated by the way only one of the two fighters would have a shadow at any given time... >_<

The shadow alternates between each fighter every frame. It runs at 60 FPS so when slowed to 30 FPS on youtube it only captures every second frame so it looks like only one fighter has a shadow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sera wrote: »
    Picked up Endless Ocean and Opoona in GS with Retr0

Must have given you a decent bit of credit for him then?
    You might have tried CEX with Retr0, I believe they offer more for opinionated, Dragoon haters there! ;)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The shadow alternates between each fighter every frame. It runs at 60 FPS so when slowed to 30 FPS on youtube it only captures every second frame so it looks like only one fighter has a shadow.

Ah cool, I'd imagine that'd also give the shadows somewhat of a translucent effect also. I thought it looked like it seemed to put the shadow on whichever character was moving the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,420 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah cool, I'd imagine that'd also give the shadows somewhat of a translucent effect also. I thought it looked like it seemed to put the shadow on whichever character was moving the most!

Was the YouTube video of an emulator running?

Also keep in mind that shadows use transparency effects and some emulators make a mess if them.

Nothing beats firing up the real game itself to see how its meant to look :)

Good point, it could have been alright.
    I should get the chance to fire it up this evening as Myrddin has worked his magic on it for me, and my RGB SCART cable from ConsoleGoods arrived on Monday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Looks like we may not have to worry about this soon....

http://uk.pcmag.com/news/33737/youtube-slowly-adding-support-for-60fps-videos

Watch in 720p minimum:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbsGxdAPhjv9UrLo19pS8teoRKj7funAy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Bought Monster Rancher from Retropolis the other day, the copy I had was my bff's from childhood that we weren't very kind to tbh, so happy to have my own (that'll work)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was the YouTube video of an emulator running?

Also keep in mind that shadows use transparency effects and some emulators make a mess if them.

Nothing beats firing up the real game itself to see how its meant to look :)

Shadows are usually alternative sprites, transparancies on the SNES can only be done as a background layer so 2 transparency layers are needed for 2 shadows which the SNES doesn't support.

waveform wrote: »

Sweet, this works in 60FPS on my android phone also using the hacked Flash Player APK and Dolphin Jetpack!

The official youtube app only shows it on 30fps, as well as alternative youtube apps, and I also tried the html 5 player but that won't even play the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

This just arrived this morning, which completes this little mini collection. Not a big fan of the ps2 versions but the ps1 trilogy are probably my favourite game series.

No idea how they came out upside down lol my apologies.

Master of the Universe

Shadows are usually alternative sprites, transparancies on the SNES can only be done as a background layer so 2 transparency layers are needed for 2 shadows which the SNES doesn't support.

Yeah it flickers/alternates between each frame doesn't it to allow multiple transparencies? (which is then made worse by what you said using a lower FPS in your previous post)

Fascinating stuff really, I love workarounds for technical limitations like that. Really must read up on it more.

Got these two prints a few weeks back.
    The one on the right was done for stern pinball so technically its arcade related ;)
    Had been looking for something for the arcade wall and these were just crazy enough !
    7h8m4BdAl30u1JJlMw66V1e3nQrqyYcsnjtGsUqBK2E=w958-h542-no

blacklight_rebellion_f6cee013-7723-4bc5-9ada-afaf5f30cefb.jpg?8358pinballer2014.files.wordpress.com_2014_04_dirty_donny_wizard_poster.jpg

Super high quality prints by a guy called Dirty donny.
    100 of each made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

They look ****ing animal, can I come live at your house?
    I'll bring my pinball!

can I come live at your house?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And now I'm the proud owner of Steel Battalion again!
    Happy days!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And now I'm the proud owner of Steel Battalion again!
    Happy days!

God damn, even the box it comes in is impressive!

Given the age of the game or really is timeless, an amazing piece of work.
    The controller usually dominates every article on the game rather than the game itself, but it is pretty good stuff.
    And at €50 incredibly good value!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Wasn't there a sequel as well?

Master of the Universe

€50? Nice deal.

I go through phases of considering selling mine (it's currently been consigned to the attic) - but every time I go to do so, I end up playing it and having a blast!

The games visuals are a perfect representation of someone sitting in a mech looking through a viewfinder/screen. It really works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    €50? Nice deal.

I go through phases of considering selling mine (it's currently been consigned to the attic) - but every time I go to do so, I end up playing it and having a blast!

The games visuals are a perfect representation of someone sitting in a mech looking through a viewfinder/screen. It really works.

If you do decide to ever sell it, I know a certain cmod who might like to buy it :)

waveform wrote: »
    God damn, even the box it comes in is impressive!

Anyone else notice the disc for BMX XXX sitting in front while he's demonstrating the controller? :pac:

Anyone else notice the disc for BMX XXX sitting in front while he's demonstrating the controller? :pac:

He demonstrates on an entirely different controller when he's playing that one ;)

Wasn't there a sequel as well?

Line of Contact.
    It was a multiplayer only game and all the servers are long since shuttered.
    However...
    There are some enterprising so and so's who have it rigged up somehow so they can keep playing.
    And I got both the original and the sequel with it.

The Kinect only Steel Battalion game on the 360 is a terrible conclusion to the franchise.
    An opportunity wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

urbanledge wrote: »
    Got these two prints a few weeks back.
    The one on the right was done for stern pinball so technically its arcade related ;)
    Had been looking for something for the arcade wall and these were just crazy enough !
    7h8m4BdAl30u1JJlMw66V1e3nQrqyYcsnjtGsUqBK2E=w958-h542-no

blacklight_rebellion_f6cee013-7723-4bc5-9ada-afaf5f30cefb.jpg?8358pinballer2014.files.wordpress.com_2014_04_dirty_donny_wizard_poster.jpg

Super high quality prints by a guy called Dirty donny.
    100 of each made.

tumblr_mx7u1sIzwe1sxbxulo2_500.gif

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    If you do decide to ever sell it, I know a certain cmod who might like to buy it :)

I will swap it for your mystery item :D

You'll definitely be my first port of call if I need to get rid of it so. :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Kinect only Steel Battalion game on the 360 is a terrible conclusion to the franchise.
    An opportunity wasted.

Angry Joe has that covered, no better man to expose it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Completely unrelated to anything whatsoever but instead of buying a wii u, I got tattooed today and any excuse to show a bit of leg.

33A854B4-2E77-4AB2-9826-F8876AF3C6EF_zpsakxd8zfc.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement