Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Its been a while since i posted anything but today i completed my TomyTronics 3D collection, well the pointy ones anyways, i know there is a couple of square types as well.

Absolutely fan fuppin tastic.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

You probaly heard this before but I owe my first hospital visit/stitches to the white racing car game tomytronic !
    I flung it straight up into the air and it came down and hit me in the eyebrow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

You probaly heard this before but I owe my first hospital visit/stitches to the white racing car game tomytronic !
    I flung it straight up into the air and it came down and hit me in the eyebrow !!!

RdsQzWVk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

boxed too. very nice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Whenever I'm down in the dumps I get something new...
    Which was taken literally by me yesterday, when I was disposing of a car battery in the local recycling centre.
    I saw in the TV bin a big broadcast monitor, JVC with no RGB input. Also too heavy for me to lift out.
    However, in a spectacular twist to the story, there was an Apple Mac in there too!
    One of these
    old-apple-mac-600x458.jpg
    No keyboard, mouse or power supply though.
    I've passed it to Kerbdog for his collection, it appeared dry and rattle free, but he's going to let it dry out before seeing if it will power on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Which was taken literally by me yesterday, when I was disposing of a car battery in the local recycling centre.
    I saw in the TV bin a big broadcast monitor, JVC with no RGB input. Also too heavy for me to lift out.
    However, in a spectacular twist to the story, there was an Apple Mac in there too!
    One of these
    I've passed it to Kerbdog for his collection, it appeared dry and rattle free, but he's going to let it dry out before seeing if it will power on.

Its a Macintosh SE - no keyboard/mouse but it should still turn on if it isn't knackered. Will open it before powering it on, awaiting on a long torx screwdriver in the post :)

What they look like when working;
    465292.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Wow that's great, some people don't even check the prices of things

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

That mac looks like my first computer. An amstrad pcw 9512. Must pick one up and have a game of lancelot and Dr logo.

Saw this clip today. A retro server used for sneaky retro gaming in a data centre:
    https://streamable.com/txzza

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

That mac looks like my first computer. An amstrad pcw 9512.

Wow, same here. Complete with daisywheel printer. It really wasn’t the 386 rival I hoped it to be :o

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

One of these
    https://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/old-apple-mac-600x458.jpg

Looks great! Hope to see Kerbdog get it working.

People here may have seen it before, but for anyone who hasn't, the video of Steve Jobs introducing the Macintosh is quite enjoyable:

I particularly like the crowd cheering for chess, and of course Steve producing the floppy disk from his inside pocket.

Also check out this video at the 17:55 mark for a look at the inside: http://time.com/1847/steve-jobs-mac/ The onstage demo they do further on in that video is quite interesting too. Mad to think Jobs and the devs were up there answering questions from the audience like "how would you centre just the title of a document instead of the full text" (1:00:27). A different time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Conchir wrote: »
    Looks great! Hope to see Kerbdog get it working.

People here may have seen it before, but for anyone who hasn't, the video of Steve Jobs introducing the Macintosh is quite enjoyable:

I particularly like the crowd cheering for chess, and of course Steve producing the floppy disk from his inside pocket.

Also check out this video at the 17:55 mark for a look at the inside: http://time.com/1847/steve-jobs-mac/ The onstage demo they do further on in that video is quite interesting too. Mad to think Jobs and the devs were up there answering questions from the audience like "how would you centre just the title of a document instead of the full text" (1:00:27). A different time!
    I watched the original iPhone launch the other night, it must have been mindblowing at the time, I dont really remember it even though Im obsessed with smartphones these days:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had been using Nokia smartphones since 2003 and the Nseries blew the iPhone out of the water, it annoyed me when people think the iPhone is one of the first smartphones. The Communicator phones were also out way before then and the Eseries was also a slightly more affordable business oriented smartphone.

(used to be a big Nokia fanboy in the day. The N95 8GB was one of the best phones I've ever owned. One of the few phones that does everything right)

...back to retro talk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I had been using Nokia smartphones since 2003 and the Nseries blew the iPhone out of the water, it annoyed me when people think the iPhone is one of the first smartphones. The Communicator phones were also out way before then and the Eseries was also a slightly more affordable business oriented smartphone.

(used to be a big Nokia fanboy in the day. The N95 8GB was one of the best phones I've ever owned. One of the few phones that does everything right)

...back to retro talk :D

The N95 was a serious phone back in the day! I could never afford it so all I had was a N70

The N97 was the last nokia phone I had before I switched to the HTC TYTN 2.

I used to love phones back then. Each had it's own "killer feature"

Now they are all pretty much a design standard. I have the Pixel 2 at the moment and it's fairly superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Thargor wrote: »
    I watched the original iPhone launch the other night, it must have been mindblowing at the time, I dont really remember it even though Im obsessed with smartphones these days:

I always loved how much some of the audience is in total awe with the introduction of scrolling with your fingers from 16:10 on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Its been a while since i posted anything but today i completed my TomyTronics 3D collection, well the pointy ones anyways, i know there is a couple of square types as well.

tomytronics.JPG
    boxed Jungle Fighter ..holy crap thats rare!.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

One of these
    old-apple-mac-600x458.jpg
    Wow!
    I thought I did well finding a brand new X360 with controllers and 2 complete famiclones with several multigame carts at my dump!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

sugarman wrote: »
    Picked up the PSTV this morning for a mere €30 ...checked it there and its on 3.5x firmware :D
    Wow - great price - where did you get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Packages finally arrived from Japan. Unfortunately the modem box was a bit squashed and creased and two of the CD cases have small cracks in them. The keyboard has a bit of water damage that wasn't shown in the listing but is light enough that is only cosmetic.

Thought these were kinda quirky so wanted to pick them up :)

9zbOJw2.jpg

q25ztJm.jpg

rz4bK9U.jpg

hFed0vv.jpg

pN0ZhM6.jpg

konBgbg.jpg

4AtEBDy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Couple of new NES games. Battleships alright, would rather just play the actual game with someone though. Havnt tried G&G yet but heard it's very difficult.

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am guilty of buying another repro... I'm sorry....

This time it's Metalstorm, an excellent title from Taito, on the Famicom.

It's like a combination of Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken and VVVVVV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Storm was by IREM I thought? It's a fantastic game. Have an original copy myself, famicom version isn't that expensive... or wasn't.
    accensi0n wrote: »
    Havnt tried G&G yet but heard it's very difficult.

It's also not very good. It's a crummy conversion by Micronics

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Metal Storm was by IREM I thought? It's a fantastic game. Have an original copy myself, famicom version isn't that expensive... or wasn't.

You're dead right, IREM it is.

I'll probably pick up a proper copy along the way.

I also have one of these ordered.

Supposed to be very good indeed.
    I'll have to get an adaptor so I can use it with the Famicom and Twin consoles though.

RB-NES-9332_03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

Here's the get I hinted at when I got my tape deck,
    FM: Possible 2
    - a Sega Mega Drive chiptune compilation on cassette featuring current chiptune artists who still create tracks in that format.

You can listen to or buy the compilation here:
    http://lazerburnaudio.bandcamp.com/album/fm-possible-2

465978.jpg

465979.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oooh nice! How does it sound in that new tape deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oooh nice! How does it sound in that new tape deck?

Having issues with the deck lately on certain tapes, where it's creasing the tape and the pitch goed wonky. Need to post a thread on tapeheads and try and fix the issue.

I'll probably just listen on my Panasonic Walkman but that's noisier.

My lovely Retro-bit Power Stick arrived this morning, for the NES.
    Looks lovely, hopefully will work a treat.
    Seems that an adapter to let me use it on the Famicom/Twin is hard to find.
    If any enterprising regular fancies making me one I'd be happy to compensate them!

Pwer-Stick-box.jpg

edit: Actually, it might be easier to just install a Famicom cable from an existing 3rd Party controller I have at home.
    Must take it apart and take a look, so how easy/hard it might be.

On second thoughts, I'm liable to kill it... I'll wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got one of those Saturn ODE (optical drive emulators) fitted and working :)

Think I signed up for it 3-4 months ago, pain-in-the-hole ordering system....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

sugarman wrote: »
    Dare I ask how much that set you back?

€130, judging by the BOM his making a decent profit on them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

A few new NES games.

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0234-BURST001.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement