Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Peyper is the worst. The All Black game in dublin was a farce. It was dangerous to be on the pitch that day. His antics with Wales fans etc is a bit thick but doesnt really matter. It's the quality of his refereeing that is very concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Peyper is the worst. The All Black game in dublin was a farce. It was dangerous to be on the pitch that day. His antics with Wales fans etc is a bit thick but doesnt really matter. It's the quality of his refereeing that is very concerning.

That Sam Cane deliberate shoulder to Henshaw's head is still one of the worst 'tackles' I've ever seen. Only worth a yellow though apparently.

https://youtu.be/DQSpT6igORU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    That Sam Cane deliberate shoulder to Henshaw's head is still one of the worst 'tackles' I've ever seen. Only worth a yellow though apparently.

To be fair to Peyper on that one.

The directives from World Rugby still had intent as a factor at that stage. Cane was judged to have unintentionally hit him.

Having said that. You know you've done bad when your actions prompt a world wide rule change in your sport...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

To be fair to Peyper on that one.

The directives from World Rugby still had intent as a factor at that stage. Cane was judged to have unintentionally hit him.

Having said that. You know you've done bad when your actions prompt a world wide rule change in your sport...

He loves reffing.
    And we all know.

Love is blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bridge93 wrote: »

Jaco has refereed eight Six Nations games
    Surprisingly he has given five yellow cards and two reds.
    Also an assistant on four occasions.

I suspect Sexton and Jaco don’t have the greatest of relations
    Jaco and Marius like Owen Farrell’s tackle technique. Izack Rodda doesn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For the warm up, Sexton should run over and invite him to warm up with the team....seemingly once you do that you can behead a player and it is ok :-)

Q’s on TMO
    Law 6.16
    Any of the match officials, including the TMO, may recommend a review by the TMO.
    The reviews will take place in accordance with the TMO protocol which is available at world rugby.

Global Trial Law 6.15 and 6.16 TELEVISION MATCH OFFICIAL / LAW AMENDMENT TRIAL
    (a) The referee may consult with assistant referees about matters relating to their duties, the Law
    relating to foul play or timekeeping, and may request assistance related to other aspects of
    the referee’s duties including the adjudication of offside
    (b) A match organiser may appoint an official known as a Television Match Official (TMO) who
    uses technological devices to clarify situations relating to:
    v. Where match officials believe foul play may have occurred
    vi. The clarification of sanctions required for acts of foul play
    vii. To confirm any red card decisions which are linked to the referee’s use of the High
    Tackle Sanction Framework
    (c) Any of the match officials, including the TMO, may recommend a review by the TMO. The
    reviews will take place in accordance with TMO protocol in place at the time which will be
    available on worldrugby.org/laws

Is this trial period still in effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Toner in for Henderson, Dillane on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Toner in for Henderson, Dillane on the bench

We'll miss Henderson for sure, but I'm delighted for Dillane.

vienne86 wrote: »
    We'll miss Henderson for sure, but I'm delighted for Dillane.

What's Dillane playing like. Has he got that explosiveness back?

• Advertisement

Ireland v England rivalry
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0...rting-rivalry/

RTE Montage and all.....“Kevin Flynn forever preserved in Sepia”

& this bit on the 1887 game.
    When that Cork university student went back to Cork on the Monday after the match - it appears that it took him two days to get home, which tells its own story - there were nine rugby clubs in Cork at the time and another one out in Bandon and those rugby players togged out in their gear, 500 rugby players, and lined up four abreast at the railway station and marched behind a band down the South Mall and across towards York Street, where they had a big parade. It was all about the fact that England had been beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

What's Dillane playing like. Has he got that explosiveness back?

He’s playing very well. I don’t think he’s as explosive as he was when he came on the scene first but that’s probably down to adding bulk. Would say this season is his best form for Connacht since 2016.

Hope Toner goes well, deserves to make some good memories after missing World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Henderson's athleticism will be missed, but Toner has played well this season and his inclusion strengthens our lineout. Could actually work in our favour as England have selected a very set piece oriented pack.

Henderson's athleticism will be missed, but Toner has played well this season and his inclusion strengthens our lineout. Could actually work in our favour as England have selected a very set piece oriented pack.

I havent seen much athleticism in the loose, if any, from Hendo in last two games.
    Another whose explosiveness appears to have waned from what ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Jones is having a personal experiment to see how many players he can play out of position.

He has more than his fair share of forwards who like to instigate a bit of niggle. Market, Lawes, sinkler and genge. This could boil over especially with the lack of control that peyper brings to games.

Ireland by 5 with about 3 yellow cards.

Jones is having a personal experiment to see how many players he can play out of position.

He has more than his fair share of forwards who like to instigate a bit of niggle. Market, Lawes, sinkler and genge. This could boil over especially with the lack of control that peyper brings to games.

Ireland by 5 with about 3 yellow cards.

I think Jones has tried to fit as many athletes and bulk into his team to compensate for Vunipolas.
    e.g.
    6/2 Split on the bench
    15. Daly over Furbank
    6. Courtney Lawes over Ludlum
    20 Charlie Ewels over Ludlum or A back
    21 Ben Earl

With Tuilagi (5 wins from 5 v Ire) Ireland need to somehow limit his gainline success. Maybe both Aki & Henshaw target him in the opening 5 minutes?

If Ireland score the 1st try i think it could be a 3-4 point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Great hit. Love that tackle. A back with all his fancy footwork and dancing feet; a forward with brute power. SMASHO!!!! :D

he was knocked out & could have been seriously hurt. not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Great hit. Love that tackle. A back with all his fancy footwork and dancing feet; a forward with brute power. SMASHO!!!! :D

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Pity Furbank is out! I thought he's struggled so far. I think we could have made Sunday a nightmare for him.
    England with some muscle! But beatable.
    I know I rant about the lack of game plan over the Joe years. But, this match appears to me to be Joe gameplan special. I would rain garryowens every chance on Joseph and Daly. I think they're going to struggle under the high ball and it could be a way into the game.
    Congratulations to the Henderson's! My favorite Ulster player replaced by my favorite Connacht player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Pity Furbank is out! I thought he's struggled so far. I think we could have made Sunday a nightmare for him.
    England with some muscle! But beatable.
    I know I rant about the lack of game plan over the Joe years. But, this match appears to me to be Joe gameplan special. I would rain garryowens every chance on Joseph and Daly. I think they're going to struggle under the high ball and it could be a way into the game.
    Congratulations to the Henderson's! My favorite Ulster player replaced by my favorite Connacht player!

One of our biggest mistakes in the last couple of games against England has been box kicking. They absolutely nullified them last year by running players to screen the chasers. May be different with Conway in the team now, but even still I wouldnt play that way. Same as the last two games for me, work it wide quick and support the breaks. Get at then at breakdown because I think that Lawes is pretty meh there and it will force Curry to get involved and disrupt their own attacking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

turnikett1 wrote: »
    To be fair he hasn't had a bad game in a very long time. Love his ball carrying dynamism and the threat he brings out wide. Had a great scrum last weekend, not to mention the few linebreaks he had and the beautiful set up for the try.

<Snip>

...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    ...?!

The submarine was definitely too big, duh.

With POC in with squad this week it would be good to see him get a coaching role with u20 or something

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    With POC in with squad this week it would be good to see him get a coaching role with u20 or something

Been there done that already.

I'd think if he wants a more senior coaching role anywhere he could get it, seems like the stade experience soured coaching for him a little

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Shefwedfan wrote: »

He coached the U20s for a season, they were terrible from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Maybe full time coaching isn't for him. Might just go on the motivational speaking circuit as a double act with Bono for good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

I’ve been really impressed with Farrell so far. Tomorrow will be his defining game of the 6 Nations and I think we might win it. If we do he’ll be on cloud 9.

I think he is a sportsman and knows what it takes to be successful in sport. He is a good motivator and it means so much to him and that trickles down to the players. I think Gatland was similar in that he wasn’t the most technical of coaches but always had his team up for the battle. That wins you a lot of games.

Jury’s still out and the Welsh weren’t up for it this year but I think the signs are there that he’ll be a good coach for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Not sure how much returns we would get from box kicking Stockdale wing based on previous experiences.

I feel we have a chance, but we have to take our chances. They look too physical a side for us. Our backrow justifies its selection, but looks underpowered to deal with that English pack. That said, if we can play a fast, more expansive game, we might be able to turn their strength into a weakness.

• Advertisement

He coached the U20s for a season, they were terrible from what I recall.

HE wasn't the head coach.....he was there with Kelleher etc, seen interview Kelleher saying it was good to meethim again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement