Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Am I right in saying that results this year decide rankings for the next WC? If so, could this be the reason behind certain selections?

If we're aiming to fall further back from the top 4, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It is much better to be in the top 4. Of course it is.

Is it tho? Hasn't seemed to matter much one way or the other, as success is the quarters is likely to be predicted on who is a lower seed in the group we're going to to play in the quarters. We've lost to nearly everyone at this stage, I don't know if it really matters, bar getting a Scotland or Italy match up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It is much better to be in the top 4. Of course it is.

Why?

In reality the top 8 is the main place to stay, dropping below means you have 2 of the top sides in your group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Is it tho? Hasn't seemed to matter much one way or the other, as success is the quarters is likely to be predicted on who is a lower seed in the group we're going to to play in the quarters. We've lost to nearly everyone at this stage, I don't know if it really matters, bar getting a Scotland or Italy match up.

You're not looking at it rationally. Our underperformance is a totally separate issue.

Put it this way. If we hadn't been top seeds in Japan, we'd have been up against a top team instead of Scotland and we'd have crashed out at the pool stage instead of the QF.

Can't make it any clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭blackcard

Back to 4 in the world rankings, pity about conceding that last try

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Back to 4 in the world rankings, pity about conceding that last try

I doubt that they will make much difference, only if it gave Wales a losing bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I doubt that they will make much difference, only if it gave Wales a losing bonus

Rankings take the margin of the win into consideration, I think it's 15 points; win by this or less, ranks don't change as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hoping Henshaw recovers well. We've gone from having all centres fit to two injured in as many games.

Also hoping we get a positive update on Doris. If he's got he starts against England. We've wilted in the face of their physicality in the last two meetings.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Rankings take the margin of the win into consideration, I think it's 15 points; win by this or less, ranks don't change as much.

The old non bonus point 6 nations it would matter as we found out to our advantage

The chance of ending up on even points and going down to tries will be very very slim...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Usual guff from the usual talking heads about POM. Makes this place hard to visit. I don't know why I'm responding as I gave up on it a while back but sure...

Top tackler at the time of his substitution, finished 2nd behind Ryan over the 80.

"He didn't contribute anything in attack" - he ran 3m less than JvdF… same carries (only 4 each). Made one more pass than JvdF. If you're to go on those stats neither offered much going forward and, for some number worshippers, consequentially had bad games... Which is not true for either of them. Oh and he was primary latch to get Furlong over for his try.

I wonder... could it be that POM is... not there to give us constant go forward...? That maybe his skillset is being used elsewhere. I thought James Ryan didn't kick the ball enough today, shocking given the conditions!

Anyway, POM robbed lineout ball. Gave us great lineout ball in a f**king orange weather alert. Pain in the hole at rucktime all day on a day when Wales put a good squeeze on us early on. Made his tackles, gave away a couple of penalties, I'm delighted for his sake he played well because some people just refuse to give him credit no matter what and spout guff. Had a very good day at the office.

I thought he was in with a shout got MOTM but Stander deservedly got it. Conway was up there but wasn't involved frequently enough (understandably given the conditions) and Henshaw was going great guns until his injury, hope he's okay.

Delighted for Larmour (is it just me or the soggy pitch but he seemed to lack his usual burst of acceleration?). Having a fullback who can attack with purpose and pass will be massive for us. I thought Earls was sensational off the bench. But look at his numbers on ESPN and you'd say he did fanny all bar two passed and tackles. All the subs did well really. Stockdale was mixed and made bad decisions ball in hand along with some good ones.

Onwards, hope we can build on this

Edit: this is in the wrong thread,meant to respond in match thread but sure here is as good as anywhere

• Advertisement

The old non bonus point 6 nations it would matter as we found out to our advantage

The chance of ending up on even points and going down to tries will be very very slim...

IRB World Rankings, I meant, just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ireland are 1.08 ahead of Wales in the world rugby rankings. But for that late try, we would have been 1.82. Could be the difference in getting a top 4 seeding for the next world cup. Not complaining as very happy with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

leakyboots wrote: »
    Usual guff from the usual talking heads about POM. Makes this place hard to visit. I don't know why I'm responding as I gave up on it a while back but sure...

Top tackler at the time of his substitution, finished 2nd behind Ryan over the 80.

"He didn't contribute anything in attack" - he ran 3m less than JvdF… same carries (only 4 each). Made one more pass than JvdF. If you're to go on those stats neither offered much going forward and, for some number worshippers, consequentially had bad games... Which is not true for either of them. Oh and he was primary latch to get Furlong over for his try.

I wonder... could it be that POM is... not there to give us constant go forward...? That maybe his skillset is being used elsewhere. I thought James Ryan didn't kick the ball enough today, shocking given the conditions!

Anyway, POM robbed lineout ball. Gave us great lineout ball in a f**king orange weather alert. Pain in the hole at rucktime all day on a day when Wales put a good squeeze on us early on. Made his tackles, gave away a couple of penalties, I'm delighted for his sake he played well because some people just refuse to give him credit no matter what and spout guff. Had a very good day at the office.

I thought he was in with a shout got MOTM but Stander deservedly got it. Conway was up there but wasn't involved frequently enough (understandably given the conditions) and Henshaw was going great guns until his injury, hope he's okay.

Delighted for Larmour (is it just me or the soggy pitch but he seemed to lack his usual burst of acceleration?). Having a fullback who can attack with purpose and pass will be massive for us. I thought Earls was sensational off the bench. But look at his numbers on ESPN and you'd say he did fanny all bar two passed and tackles. All the subs did well really. Stockdale was mixed and made bad decisions ball in hand along with some good ones.

Wrong thread maybe?

POM had a good game, in fact I think the entire team, including subs, all had good games.
    We really upped the intensity today and for the most part our accuracy was way better than last week. We got around the Welsh rush defense a number of times today with some excellent play and only for some sloppy decision making and excellent scramble defense we could of had a few more scores. Farrell should be happy with that display but we will need to up it again against the English next time out.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

blackcard wrote: »
    Ireland are 1.08 ahead of Wales in the world rugby rankings. But for that late try, we would have been 1.82. Could be the difference in getting a top 4 seeding for the next world cup. Not complaining as very happy with the result.

Honestly, the need for people to find the negatives from a 5-0 win over reigning GS champions is telling. It's also really dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

leakyboots wrote: »

Edit: this is in the wrong thread,meant to respond in match thread but sure here is as good as anywhere

Literally nobody is saying POM had a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

molloyjh wrote: »
    Honestly, the need for people to find the negatives from a 5-0 win over reigning GS champions is telling. It's also really dull.

I don't see the issue with being delighted on the back of a superb win but still wishing we had more wiggle-room in the RWC seedings because of a last-minute try.

I don't see the issue with being delighted on the back of a superb win but still wishing we had more wiggle-room in the RWC seedings because of a last-minute try.

The problem is this poster is only doing the latter.

Either way, in the rankings there's a whole boat load of variables. Anyone thinking you can go back 10 months at and attribute final standing tona single score like that simply has an agenda.

To pick a team that I think would do a job on England I would go with

Healy, Herring, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, Stander, VDF, Doris, Murray, Sexton, Conway, Aki, Henshaw, Earls, Larmour

POM on bench, I know I said before I wouldnt want him on bench but I do get the point from Wood saying to have a captain to finish the game. Especially in Twickers.

People will point to Doris more or less have debut in Twickenham but I am sure McCloskey done the same years ago, maybe Dillane as well and they done well.

England know and have done a number on our pack, Doris would be something new. I think Healy done enough today to hold place over Kilcoyne but not a huge change if swapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Marvellous having Porter and Killer to bring on as subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Marvellous having Porter and Killer to bring on as subs.
    And Kelleher. Thought he had a very busy cameo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

To pick a team that I think would do a job on England I would go with

Healy, Herring, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, Stander, VDF, Doris, Murray, Sexton, Conway, Aki, Henshaw, Conway, Larmour

POM on bench, I know I said before I wouldnt want him on bench but I do get the point from Wood saying to have a captain to finish the game. Especially in Twickers.

People will point to Doris more or less have debut in Twickenham but I am sure McCloskey done the same years ago, maybe Dillane as well and they done well.

England know and have done a number on our pack, Doris would be something new. I think Healy done enough today to hold place over Kilcoyne but not a huge change if swapped.

Conway was indeed excellent today. I’d still prefer to have someone else on the other wing though rather than him covering both positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

To be number 4 in the world we need to get to a World Cup semi final. That’s the only ranking that counts.

Zetor19 wrote: »
    To be number 4 in the world we need to get to a World Cup semi final. That’s the only ranking that counts.

Sorry I didnt realize the World Cup was in 2020

Sorry I didnt realize the World Cup was in 2020

It's on next week down in Bective. Why else have a week off in the best rugby competition in the world but to make way for the second best......

clsmooth wrote: »
    Conway was indeed excellent today. I’d still prefer to have someone else on the other wing though rather than him covering both positions.

Sorry typo, I meant to have Earls at 14

Sorry typo, I meant to have Earls at 14

Conway is fantastic at the kick chase, and also has a cannon of a boot, so it's not a terrible idea to have him cover two positions to be fair.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Conway is fantastic at the kick chase, and also has a cannon of a boot, so it's not a terrible idea to have him cover two positions to be fair.

Conway has been fantastic this season, ever since the warm up games. I would have loved to see him get more game time at WC but he didnt

Since he came into side he has done excellent.....

Stockdale will be class, he is the future but Earls had great display off bench today so he needs to come in. Henshaw was back to his best before he went off so he starts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Great stuff today the lads fought like they were underdogs and fought for each other they smashed a very good Wales side .
    Thought Kelleher looked very good off bench I think if we beat Italy with bonus and beat France we should win six nations

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Don't think he has got much of a mention, but I thought Rob Herring had another good game. The lineout has been immaculate the last two weeks and he does a lot of work in the right and is a keen carrier. He is definitely justifying his selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Agree Rob Herring had another good game . I think or hope in time Kelleher will bring xfactor I wonder would Doris be an improvement on back row thought Cooney looked good also look when he game on can he be an upgrade on Murray ??.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement