Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could solve 3 cases..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Picking only three is so hard. But here goes:

1. Gussie Shanahan - a young lad from Limerick. He called over to a friend's house, reached the right place and then diverted down a side street. Hasn't been seen since. One account I read stated he was actually about to knock on his friend's door before getting distracted by something happening in the alleyway. Here's a link.

I found another link to an article in the Limerick Leader (which was hidden behind a paywall). The headline stated Shanahan was one of 8 strange disappearances of young men in the city at that time and that they all worked for Dell Computers. Does anyone have any more info on this?

2. Hannah Deterville - a teenage girl from London. This really sticks with me and I remember watching a reconstruction on Crimewatch UK. The murder was brutal and seemingly motiveless. It hadn't been long since the Stephen Lawrence case and the Police were keen to avoid repeating the same mistakes with Hannah's (she was also black). Despite that, her killers are still at large. Here's a Link

3. The Brabant Killers - a gang of criminals in Belgium who carried out a ton of robberies (during which 28 people were killed). They were on the go for several years and, staggeringly, never caught despite scores of witnesses at each robbery. Link!

Like a lot of people here, I would have mentioned Suzy Lamplugh. But, isn't it pretty much a given that she was murdered by John Cannan?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mine would be

Madeleine McCann (preferably while her parents are still alive, so if they did have something to do with it - apart from being horrendously neglectful - they can be brought to justice)

JFK

Jon Benet Ramsay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

http://www.thejournal.ie/gussie-shanahan-4300584-Oct2018/

I saw Gussie Shanahan mentioned in this thread yesterday and today they announced that his body had been found in 2001!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

http://www.thejournal.ie/gussie-shanahan-4300584-Oct2018/

I saw Gussie Shanahan mentioned in this thread yesterday and today they announced that his body had been found in 2001!

If I remember correctly- there were a number of young men who disappeared around that time. Not sure what happened with the other cases tbh ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just a reminder that we are not discussing Irish cases as per the forum charter :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Those saying 9/11, what is it you want answered? Was it not Bin Laden et al? or do you want to know if US government was complicit?

For me - so many! will come back!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

pc7 wrote: »
    Those saying 9/11, what is it you want answered? Was it not Bin Laden et al? or do you want to know if US government was complicit?

Was wondering the same. A few people have also mentioned JFK and another mentioned Roswell! I don't think conspiracy theories really fit in this forum...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Was wondering the same. A few people have also mentioned JFK and another mentioned Roswell! I don't think conspiracy theories really fit in this forum...
    There's always going to be an element of conspiracy theory in some cases, but I'd rather that we looked at fact over conspiracy :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just a reminder that we are not discussing Irish cases as per the forum charter :)

Apologies, I mistakenly thought it was Irish cases under ten years for some reason.

But thanks to the others for sharing the links. It's great the family finally have some closure.

• Advertisement

thebull85 wrote: »
    Jill Dando.

Yes, I'll replace my first choice with Jill Dando. It's staggering that anyone can be shot in broad daylight, middle of the day in central London and the killer go completely undetected. Although, the miscarriage of justice of Barry George can't have helped matters.

Once someone is convicted, do the police then destroy evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

thebull85 wrote: »
    Jill Dando.

Yes, I'll replace my first choice with Jill Dando. It's staggering that anyone can be shot in broad daylight, middle of the day in central London and the killer go completely undetected. Although, the miscarriage of justice of Barry George can't have helped matters.

Oh im not sure if it was a miscarriage of justice. Yes the conviction was quashed for being unsafe but at the same time he was found guilty by 10-1. I would say the Police in the UK aee still happy enough they got the right man but fooked up the investigation.

Not on the theories aspect but a fairly sombre video of the site and memorial and people's reactions to it ...

https://nyti.ms/2Cl8HBm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

And also that young lad Ben Needham in Portugal.

Somewhere in Greece wasn't it, not Portugal?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Somewhere in Greece wasn't it, not Portugal?

yeah greece, did they not find remains recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

yeah greece, did they not find remains recently?

ON the island of Kos .No, dug up a plot of land but found nothing .

Ah right sorry, thought they recently found something on a building site. Poor family

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cyrus T Buford

My number one would definitly be

Sophie Toscan Du Plantier

After that i would say: Madeline McCaan

And then a case i found to be really intriguing due to a project i did when i was in primary school is what happened to Amelia Earhart.

EDIT
    Also would like to add the case of the missing postman. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

1.Philip Cairns is the one that really sticks with me.He was the same age as me when he disappeared.

2.Lee Boxell he was 15 when he disappeared in 1988

3.Willian Tyrell was 3 when he disappeared in 2014

dubstarr wrote: »

2.Lee Boxell he was 15 when he disappeared in 1988

There were several reports of a "breakthrough" in Lee's case earlier this summer. Police were interviewing a new witness. I really hope something comes of it and his remains are found. Kevin Hicks is another teenage boy who just vanished without trace, also in the London area. I always wondered if they were connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

There were several reports of a "breakthrough" in Lee's case earlier this summer. Police were interviewing a new witness. I really hope something comes of it and his remains are found. Kevin Hicks is another teenage boy who just vanished without trace, also in the London area. I always wondered if they were connected.

Police know there was a pedo gang working in the area at that time.

One I would add is the unsolved case of Barry Sherman and his wife, Honey at their home in Toronto in 2017

A very strange set of circumstances originaly flagged as a murder- suicide

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-apotex-billionaire-murder/

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

1 - Fiona Sinnott

2 - Mary Boyle

3 - Sophie Toscan Du Plantier / Fr. Niall Molloy (hard to pick one of those, intrigued by both)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I watched this recently and it was very interesting, lots of stuff about the case i wasnt aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Like a lot of people here, I would have mentioned Suzy Lamplugh. But, isn't it pretty much a given that she was murdered by John Cannan?

I see the Police are digging up John Cannan's mothers (former?) garden

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Madeline McCann
    Trevor Deely
    Amy Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭juno10353

Madeline mc cann
    Missing Irish girls
    Al Hilli Alps murders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Sophie du Plantier, The lady in West Cork, that was found murdered

• Advertisement

juno10353 wrote: »
    Al Hilli Alps murders

This is another of those cases where you slip right down a rabbit hole. It seems all key people caught up in it could present as legitimate targets for a hit. But (last I heard) the French police were formulating some theory they were victims of a serial killer.

Advertisement