Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

strabismus surgery help

Options
  • 05-10-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hi i have strabismus in my left eye and am thinking of having surgery to correct it. i was wondering if someone could tell me how you go about getting it done(where to go and do i need a referral) and if it is successful in adults. also any ideas of the cost involved?

any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mushaboom

Hi Steo,

I'm booked to have this op in a few weeks. I can only tell you how I got the op booked. I went to my optician and asked him about it, he reffered me to an eye surgeon, each app with the eye surgeon is about €160 but the operation is covered in my health insurance.

HTH
    Mushaboom

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭aston

Mushaboom
    Can you say who or where you are getting it done?I've same prob and have to go to UK to get it done.
    Thanks

I don't know if I'm allowed to name names on this site (still a newbie) but I pm'd you the name of my surgeon.

HTH
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭T.C.O.B

Hi all,

I'd be really interested to know if any of you have gone ahead with surgery for this particular problem. I'm sure everyone's issues and experiences are different but personally I've been to two of the most prominent surgeons in the country and they wouldn't even really entertain the idea of surgery, they felt the risk of over correction was far too great.

Going by the few posts on this page you'd be lead to believe that it's a fairly straghtforward thing. As such I'd be really interested to hear how anyone got on with their surgery and what kind of results were achieved.

Rgds,

T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

T.C.O.B wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'd be really interested to know if any of you have gone ahead with surgery for this particular problem. I'm sure everyone's issues and experiences are different but personally I've been to two of the most prominent surgeons in the country and they wouldn't even really entertain the idea of surgery, they felt the risk of over correction was far too great.

Going by the few posts on this page you'd be lead to believe that it's a fairly straghtforward thing. As such I'd be really interested to hear how anyone got on with their surgery and what kind of results were achieved.

Rgds,

T
    I had the surgery in October and very happy with the results. The xmas photos have me perfectly alligned :)
    As for the whole process, once I was referred to a surgeon it was all very straighforward and quick. He was positive of the prospects post surgery and never tried to put me off or suggest I think about it. Simply told me the details, outlined the procedure and what entailed along with the recovery period and left it up to me to contact his secretary to confirm I wanted to proceed.
    Recovery was a chore more than anything. Couple of weeks off and then another few where my eyes tired quicker than usual but full sorted now.
    I've pm'ed you my surgeon's name. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lolipopman

hey im sixteen and i think i have strabismus,my eye turns in but snaps back straight again its not very noticeable but i want it fixed either way as it effcts my confidence any help on surgeries or something please help :)

Hey all,

I had the surgery 2 weeks ago and it went well. I had both eyes operated on. The hospital staff where so caring and reassuring. The only con is that the recovery period does take a few weeks, my right eye is still quite sore and stitches have not dissolved yet. So if you do plan to get it done put a 4 week recovery plan into place to make life easier ( I have a toddler but also a very supportive family)

I'm happy I did it, I was so self conscious and my eyes are straight now so I'm delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finni S

hi i read your post , i was wondering who did your surgery and were you waiting long for it, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

I had the surgery done eighteen years ago in the Mater, and a very good job it was too. I'm just wondering if the risks of double vision etc. still apply if you've had the surgery done before. I'm not sure if I will have to have it done but I am starting to notice a tendency towards squinting in photos and when I'm tired.

Has anyone here had strabismus surgery lately?i hopefully will be having mine early in new year and am quite nervous as its intermittent yet I struggle with it alot..love to hear other people's experience.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

hi,i am getting surgery on my eye to correct it next week,question is are you asleep for it????i couldnt stay awake for this procedure

thanks in advance
    corkboy

Where you getting operation done?

in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Folks should do some research on eso/exotropia and eso/exophoria before thinking they need surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

corkboy10 wrote: »
    hi,i am getting surgery on my eye to correct it next week,question is are you asleep for it????i couldnt stay awake for this procedure

thanks in advance
    corkboy

Depends on the surgeon.

i'll be insisting on a general anyway,want to be asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

steob16 wrote: »
    hi i have strabismus in my left eye and am thinking of having surgery to correct it. i was wondering if someone could tell me how you go about getting it done(where to go and do i need a referral) and if it is successful in adults. also any ideas of the cost involved?

Did you ever get an operation done?

steob16 wrote: »

Did you ever get an operation done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DougPeterson

I would be interested to know if anyone in this thread has had the Strabismus operation done? Location and cost etc..be great to hear from you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baz2015

I would be interested to know if anyone in this thread has had the Strabismus operation done? Location and cost etc..be great to hear from you

How's it going just wondering if you have found any information on strabismus sergery as I too am looking for information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Medceltic

How much was without insurance ?
    I have Exotropia.
    I need it for Cosmetic Reason to meet a "Woman" they don't want me with Feking lazy ey, but they never say it in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I had it done 3 weeks ago.

Eye quite sore but happy with results Approx €4K

efb wrote: »
    I had it done 3 weeks ago.

Eye quite sore but happy with results Approx €4K

Good info efb
    Tough money all the same

Well under 4K but by the end of it it will be close. Consultant, hospital and anethesatist fees

Well under 4K but by the end of it it will be close. Consultant, hospital and anethesatist fees

Still a right lump
    Fair play to you tho
    How long had you been cross eyed

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Still a right lump
    Fair play to you tho
    How long had you been cross eyed

Since I was small eyepatches the lot

Since I was small eyepatches the lot

I'd the glasses which were suppose to pull the bad eye in
    But I hardly wore them
    Now I'm paying for it
    Do u notice the difference being straight

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057380581/1

Here's my thread- huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Medceltic

How much is the cost of the Exotropia surgery ??
    without Health insurance Please.

• Advertisement

Here's my before and after as at today

Advertisement