Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Never seen anything like this

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Submitted the close up of the frozen berries for the heck of it! Im sure there's plenty wrong from a professional point of view though, I haven't cropped them or messed around with the colours or anything which usually makes them look better for that type of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Amazing photos Tom, will take a closer look passing by there on Friday!

Danno wrote: »
    Amazing photos Tom, will take a closer look passing by there on Friday!

Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances walk directly underneath the tower! It went from solid frozen ground to sinky death trap in the space of one step!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Edited the first post to include the higher quality pictures. Much better! Cheers for the advice :D

If you're interested in how many views/much bandwidth they are using, right click the image and click view (well in firefox anyway) and change the url from for example http://i.imgur.com/2BJPp.jpg to: http://imgur.com/2BJPp

(i.e. remove the the i. at the start and jpg at the end.)

Now playing: Rage Against The Machine - Vietnow via FoxyTunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Amazing pictures especially for Ireland.

Its very like a weather type called freezing rain.

Wow! Thanks a million for sharing the photos!

I was just about to post the same info as bluecatmorgana. I've seen it before but never in Ireland... it's commonly referred to as an 'ice storm' and the results can be fascinating. A quick google search will throw up some cool results!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

po0k wrote: »
    Water is a weird substance. Just about everything else contracts as it gets cooler.
    At about 4*C (Refrigeration) and below, water starts expanding in volume to a max of 9% increase.
    So it's less dense. This would be why ice floats and pipes burst.
    I'm going to guess there's a lid on the water tower, and as the ice freezing and expanding at the top pushed down on the liquid water below it, it was forced out.

Nerd:p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Amazing photos, great to see a 'post of the day' that isn't from the 'You laugh, you lose' thread in Cool vids, Pics and Links :)

Glad you got out safe too, scary! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 violeta8l8

Damn right it was scary! I suppose it would be good manners of me to post up the hilarious picture of me with nothing but sheer terror in my eyes! Keep in mind I was sinking deeper and deeper in what was basically freezing cold quick sand!

10smallk.jpg

OMG!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnSherwin90

Post them into RTE or The Mirror and get them published:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Post them into RTE or The Mirror and get them published:)

The Sun, first time something with their cherry in tact will have appeared on page 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The Sun, first time something with their cherry in tact will have appeared on page 3.

why get the rags to publish, when you can get ngm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Oh my TOM....

AMAZING PICTURES!!!!!!!

I think you are a photographer,those are excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

great pictures
    great story about how you got them
    thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

10smallk.jpg
    Took me a second to see this properly... I thought you were resting on your knees!

Fookin' hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Yup, the originals are like 3000 pixels wide or something like that. My method of resizing them would probably make the professionals cringe - I opened them in Photo Viewer, pressed print screen, pasted it into Paint and cropped the rest of the screen out of it :pac:

If you type in PIXresizer on google and download it. Its free software and good for resizing pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

Just saw these photos on 'The Morning Show' on TV3, congratulations Tom, you're famous.;)

(Just to clarify, I wasn't subjecting myself to watching it by choice.)

Just saw these photos on 'The Morning Show' on TV3, congratulations Tom, you're famous.;)

(Just to clarify, I wasn't subjecting myself to watching it by choice.)

Serious?

Awesome, can't believe they showed them :D

Was this yesterdays (thursdays) episode? Any idea where I could watch it again?

Edit: Never mind, found it on the TV3 website! Thats awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Amazing pictures.....:cool:
    But who took the photo of you sinking in the MAD quicksand????
    Like, why did you have to phone for help???!!!
    Or am I missing something!

Amazing pictures.....:cool:
    But who took the photo of you sinking in the MAD quicksand????
    Like, why did you have to phone for help???!!!
    Or am I missing something!

Yup, I was by myself and luckily was using a camera phone so was able to phone to get some help.

Sadly, my families priorities are:

1. Photograph funny and/or embarrassing moments so the memory can live forever.
    2. Save me.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Brilliant pics.

Very scary re the sinking in quicksand - how did you get out of it?

You should go back and retake some of those pics as it is now for comparison to how amazing it looked - but avoid the quicksand this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Amazing photos!

Id say you should submit the second last one with the icicles on the cross members to ngm, think that's the coolest!

Advertisement