Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to spend excess Credit [Vodafone&Three on Android + iOS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there any way to use the credit if for say the sim was in a 4g router

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

naughto wrote: »
    Is there any way to use the credit if for say the sim was in a 4g router

Pop it into a phone when you want to buy something using credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone who is using the three pre-pay. I had 26 euro credit in my account yesterday and my deal was up at midnight, woke up this morning and all of my credit was gone. I couldnt believe how that much could be gone overnight so i had a look at three's price per mb on pre-pay and they charge an exorbitant amount of 1.01 euro per mb outside of their unlimited plan.

looking at the other companies and eir only charge 2c per mb outside of their bundle and vodafone are only 1c per mb.

How are they allowed to charge this price outside of their plan i do not know but just letting people know so that hopefully ye dont get caught like i did :(
    This happened to me in January 45 Euros lost. I was paying for YouTube premium and express VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just a heads up to anyone who is using the three pre-pay. I had 26 euro credit in my account yesterday and my deal was up at midnight, woke up this morning and all of my credit was gone. I couldnt believe how that much could be gone overnight so i had a look at three's price per mb on pre-pay and they charge an exorbitant amount of 1.01 euro per mb outside of their unlimited plan.

looking at the other companies and eir only charge 2c per mb outside of their bundle and vodafone are only 1c per mb.

How are they allowed to charge this price outside of their plan i do not know but just letting people know so that hopefully ye dont get caught like i did :(

It’s a free market and they can charge what they want unfortunately. They upped the price per mb apparently just after the merger with o2. How the hell they were allowed to buy o2 in the first by the EU. Comreg were vehemently against the takeover and a recent report by them concluded that prices went up for consumers after that merger. Best thing to do is set an alarm for 26 days to remind you to top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Basil3 wrote: »
    Set an automatic top-up for every 28 days. Sorted.

my contract on three finishes next month. how do i do that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

dougm1970 wrote: »

By logging into my3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've started using the credit on 500mb bundles. The problem with the My3 app is the balance only seems to update once a day, so you could have used all your allowance but it wouldn't show it until the next day, which means it's very easy to go over without knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Yes, this is "how they get you", though, to be fair, I suppose they could choose to not allow credit carry-over at all, and the '20 euro for at least 60GB over 28 days' is not too bad a deal compared to other Irish offerings, though the service is sometimes abysmal for days on end. My theory is that it's a way to lock us in to the treadmill of never missing a payment, to avoid losing accumulated unexpired credit (even if we struggle to find stuff to spend it on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I've started using the credit on 500mb bundles. The problem with the My3 app is the balance only seems to update once a day, so you could have used all your allowance but it wouldn't show it until the next day, which means it's very easy to go over without knowing.

Yeah, same. It updates more than once but it's always behind. Once I hear it's less than 100mb I buy the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Yes, this is "how they get you", though, to be fair, I suppose they could choose to not allow credit carry-over at all, and the '20 euro for at least 60GB over 28 days' is not too bad a deal compared to other Irish offerings, though the service is sometimes abysmal for days on end. My theory is that it's a way to lock us in to the treadmill of never missing a payment, to avoid losing accumulated unexpired credit (even if we struggle to find stuff to spend it on!)

My sister in law used 150GB on her all you can eat dáta this month...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

BKWDR wrote: »
    My sister in law used 150GB on her all you can eat dáta this month...

Fair usage policy is 750gb, tell her try harder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thats going on since Moses was in nappies. You usually get the text to say you’ve run out of credit two days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

dougm1970 wrote: »

Get onto 3 for a prepay sim once its up and when they change to prepay for you, once you log in its on the top up page after registering a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Basil3 wrote: »
    Set an automatic top-up for every 28 days. Sorted.

How do you do that?

Asus X540L wrote: »
    How do you do that?

My3 -> Online & Scheduled Top-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

You can use your credit to subscribe to The Times for €5 a month which includes the daily papers and sunday times Irish versions. Also get reduced cinema (similar to 3 app) and a free movie rental, free audiobook (both rakuten) and free e book (kindle) each month. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My auto top up (set for every 28 days) failed this month (no fault on my side, account and card both fine).
    So I burned through.....140 euro in two days on data charges....
    It took serious arguing but I got the credit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

gmisk wrote: »
    My auto top up (set for every 28 days) failed this month (no fault on my side, account and card both fine).
    The auto top up curiously fails a lot when people have accumulated a lot of credit. I'm not saying anything but....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Anyone else notice that PAYG topups for Three have recently become VAT zero rated ?

How is that I wonder .......... any accountants on board this thread able to make a stab at what is going on ?

Is it the same with Vodafone ?

sweetie wrote: »
    You can use your credit to subscribe to The Times for €5 a month which includes the daily papers and sunday times Irish versions. Also get reduced cinema (similar to 3 app) and a free movie rental, free audiobook (both rakuten) and free e book (kindle) each month. Not bad.
    Wow thanks that is a serious bargain.

I have been thinking about cancelling my shudder subscription, will switch my 5 euro a month to here!

• Advertisement

The auto top up curiously fails a lot when people have accumulated a lot of credit. I'm not saying anything but....
    When I put it through manually on their site.....with the same card...and exact same process it worked....
    Plus I could see I wasn't due another top up until next month on their portal....odd that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

gmisk wrote: »

I tethered my phone to my laptop and unknown to me Windows decided to download an update which ran through €61 of my credit! Aaargh stoopid me.

Who did you argue with to try and get it back? :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

0lddog wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that PAYG topups for Three have recently become VAT zero rated ?

How is that I wonder .......... any accountants on board this thread able to make a stab at what is going on ?

Is it the same with Vodafone ?

VAT is applied at the point you spend the credit (either by the mobile operator or third party the credit is spent with) rather than when you buy credit.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I tethered my phone to my laptop and unknown to me Windows decided to download an update which ran through €61 of my credit! Aaargh stoopid me.

Who did you argue with to try and get it back? :)
    I submitted a complaint via the website and lodged a complaint via the live chat.
    Took about a week but got every cent back and an extra 10 euro in credit too.
    Mine was genuinely an issue on their side, I could even see the payment was taken from my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Quackster wrote: »
    VAT is applied at the point you spend the credit (either by the mobile operator or third party the credit is spent with) rather than when you buy credit.

Is this a recent change ?

( It used to be the case that when buying PAYG credit ( from, say, a B&M CPW ) that you would be given a paper receipt showing topup code and amount paid including a VAT breakdown with VAT @ 23%. )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

How exactly do you do this?

Download the times app, click 1 week free trial and it will charge €5 to your credit after week is up. Then in the app settings add email username and password to use on other devices/pcs. The tablet version of the app is better than the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Download the times app, click 1 week free trial and it will charge €5 to your credit after week is up. Then in the app settings add email username and password to use on other devices/pcs

What about the Rakuten stuff that you mention? :)

marcbrophy wrote:
    What about the Rakuten stuff that you mention?

It's in the times thread but you go to times+ section and redeem the offer then follow instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's in the times thread but you go to times+ section and redeem the offer then follow instructions.

Oh I see, I thought they were all separate apps!
    Thanks for the help :D

Advertisement