Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Famous Irish person

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What about Jesus?

Lived at home with his mammy until he was 32.
    Went on a bender and disappeared for a few days.
    Sounds Irish to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

antodeco wrote: »
    What about Jesus?

Lived at home with his mammy until he was 32.
    Went on a bender and disappeared for a few days.
    Sounds Irish to me

...and his mother thinks he's God...yadda yadda yadda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Linda Martin.
    Was saying "Why me" long before Mario Balotelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Oscar Wilde

WB Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

From my own experiences.

Asia: Roy and Robbie Keane. A few mentions of John O'Shea too.

USA: Bono, Flately and Brosnan.

Europe: Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Playing poker in San Sebastian one night and none of the other players had a word of English but they eventually got that i was Irish and one lad's face lit up, "Ah, Paul O'Connell", and thats what i was called for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ewc78 wrote: »
    Katie Taylor is probably the most famous Irish woman?
    Mary Robinson would have been once I suppose.

Saoirse Ronan

Seriously? I doubt women's boxing features too high on anyone's radar

Saoirse Ronan

Oh no not in England.

I have read her described in a particular newspaper: -

"...New York born London based..." or "...New York born actress..."

The entire article made absolutely no mention whatsoever of Ireland or Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lundstram wrote: »
    From my own experiences.

Asia: Roy and Robbie Keane. A few mentions of John O'Shea too.

USA: Bono, Flately and Brosnan.

Europe: Roy Keane.
    I think this is very important.

It depends alot on the geography.

A US college educated person may know who James Joyce is but a Turkmen border guard may not.
    Vice versa Robbie Keane as pointed out by another poster.

Also age comes into it.
    U2 have been around 40 odd years, so it's likely a 70 year old would be as aware of Bono as a 20 year old.
    But the likes of McGregor would be far more familiar to 20 year olds than 70 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But the likes of McGregor would be far more familiar to 20 year olds than 70 year olds.

There's one Dublin ould fella who certainly knows who he is!

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I'd say it's Arthur. Some folks around the world might not know who I mean,but mention his surname..they all know!

Murphy.
    Not sure he's that well known outside of Ireland.

I am surprised to see Yeats and Joyce mentioned.

It seems to me that quite a lot of Irish people know little about either never mind the rest of the world.

Enya would probably be up there, even if we don't hear much from her these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

St Patrick, possibly.

British

Enya would probably be up there, even if we don't hear much from her these days.

And Sinead O Connor.
    And Dolores O Riordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Sinead o'connor

Rory McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Seriously? I doubt women's boxing features too high on anyone's radar
    I cant remember Robinson winning too many medals although she deserves one for hard neck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

McGregor has completely transcended the sport he's in and is just a global name/brand. Bit like Ronaldo in Soccer, or the way Schumacher was in F1, Tiger Woods in golf, etc.

When people that become that big, they generally cross all borders, age brackets and interest groups. People generally know of them, even if they've no interest in the sport in which they compete.

There are very few 70 years old who don't know who Conor McGregor is, even if they've never watched him fight, or have no interest in ever doing so, because he's just such commanded such a global reach now.

No-one has to like him but he's easily the most famous Irish people on the planet at the moment, even if the height of his fame stems from infamy rather than achievements.

People tend to often get irritated when McGregor is mentioned, as if his perceived lack of worthiness in having achieved that fame renders it invalid, but it doesn't.

Like really, making claims like Robbie Keane being the most famous Irish man in the world are plain absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Homelander wrote: »
    McGregor has completely transcended the sport he's in and is just a global name/brand. Bit like Ronaldo in Soccer, or the way Schumacher was in F1, Tiger Woods in golf, etc.

When people that become that big, they generally cross all borders, age brackets and interest groups. People generally know of them, even if they've no interest in the sport in which they compete.

There are very few 70 years old who don't know who Conor McGregor is, even if they've never watched him fight, or have no interest in ever doing so, because he's just such commanded such a global reach now.

No-one has to like him but he's easily the most famous Irish people on the planet at the moment, even if the height of his fame stems from infamy rather than achievements.

People tend to often get irritated when McGregor is mentioned, as if his perceived lack of worthiness in having achieved that fame renders it invalid, but it doesn't.

Like really, making claims like Robbie Keane being the most famous Irish man in the world are plain absurd.
    McGregor is yesterdays man and will be remembered,if at all, as "that gob****e on the telly"

• Advertisement

McGregor if you are under the age of 25 and into that rubbish.

A few years ago a guy over here (England) went on about McGregor to me and I genuinely had no idea who he was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Kylta wrote: »
    All men. Have we no famous women?

Anna Geary....:D

Whoever she is.......

Bull****, if he was another nationality, very few in Ireland would even know who he is. Up there with Ronaldo and Tiger Woods?? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

How do you measure how famous an Irish person is ? How much hate they get in Ireland would be a good way to start.

I'd say Bono is still the the most famous Irish Person in the world. McGregor is possibly close but has not over taken Bono.

As for women. I'd say Dolores is up there. After her death the outpouring of sympathy from the American rock community was something else. I was apart of a good few band fan groups on social media they all knew her and knew of the Cranberries. Although they were much more famous abroad than they were here.

A few people I can think of that have transcended their sport (relatively recent):-

- Roger Federer
    - Le Bron James (maybe)
    - Messi & Ronaldo
    - Tiger Woods
    - Venus Williams
    - Usain Bolt

Conor McTapper ain't on my list personally.

Bull****, if he was another nationality, very few in Ireland would even know who he is. Up there with Ronaldo and Tiger Woods?? :pac::pac::pac:

You don't have to like him, but to actually pretend like he's not globally well known is just farcical.

It's actually a weird form of delusion to be honest.

Boxing match with Floyd Mayweather 2nd highest PPV of all-time, his various scandals were carried on news-desks all over the world, but sure, no-one's really heard of him.
    McGregor is yesterdays man and will be remembered,if at all, as "that gob****e on the telly"

To be honest I'm not claiming he'll have a lasting legacy or continue to be famous, more in this moment of time he's certainly up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

U2 arent that famous anymore. So not Bono. Probably in terms of total countries in the world who know his name, McGregor might be there.

Eoin Morgan is known by billions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

You don't have to like him, but to actually pretend like he's not globally well known is just farcical.

Yeh, he has for some reason transcended the sport which is a minor sport to be honest.

I completely agree and he has global reach like no other MMA fighter's ever had before, which he's deliberately cultivated since day one.

He's a bit like the "Hulk Hogan" of the MMA world - a face that even people who have zero interest or, or any knowledge of, MMA, recognize and associate with it.

You could mention pretty much any current UFC division champion to a room of average, off-the-street people and they wouldn't know who you were talking about in most cases.

99% of people on the street in Ireland know who McGregor is. Most people in the world have heard of McGregor. Particularly in North America, South America, and Europe, he's extremely well known, but he's well known globally.

Claims of "he's not known by people over 25" or "if he wasn't Irish we'd never have heard of him" are just really strange manifestations of such blind hatred for the man that they can't accept facts.

You see the usual guff over on the MMA forum from certain posters as well - he's a big fraud, crap fighter, his record of 22-4 with 19 KO's is all fake, etc.

They'll perform olympic level mental gymnastics to discredit the man. Like, fine, he's a massive tool, but facts are facts.

• Advertisement

FVP3 wrote: »

Eoin Morgan is known by billions.

Never heard of him

Advertisement