Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If a German regime took over the running and planning of Ireland in the 1950s..

Options
  • 12-11-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

What would Ireland look like today?

If they (or any other regime, free from gombeenism) had wanted to make a go of Ireland as a country, putting all their resources and strategic planning behind it. What would Ireland look like today. What would be the social and economic landscape look like?

Let me get out my calculator

I can't imagine childcare costing 1000 per month in some places? Possibly free or 90 % subsidised with childcare amenities planned for

Housing. Would a average sized house in a nice area in Dublin cost 1 million? Lol. 1/4 million max?

Cost of food and entertainment? 50% less? 148 euro plus 8 euro ticketmaster fees for front row seats to see David Gray in an arena? Are you having a laugh

Sports. Would it have taken 72 years to build an Olympic sized pool in Ireland? Would Ireland be having a national holiday getting dumped out of the soccer world cup quarter finals?

Infrastructure. I presume there would be fast and frequent rail transport from airports

Industry. We would be leaders of renewable energy technologies employing 10s of thousands. The size of the waves off the coast of Ireland

Average industrial wage. Double what it is today

Comments

What would Ireland look like today?

If they (or any other regime, free from gombeenism) had wanted to make a go of Ireland as a country, putting all their resources and strategic planning behind it. What would Ireland look like today. What would be the social and economic landscape look like?

Let me get out my calculator

I can't imagine childcare costing 1000 per month in some places? Possibly free or 90 % subsidised with childcare amenities planned for

Housing. Would a average sized house in a nice area in Dublin cost 1 million? Lol. 1/4 million max?

Cost of food and entertainment? 50% less? 148 euro plus 8 euro ticketmaster fees for front row seats to see David Gray in an arena? Are you having a laugh

Sports. Would it have taken 72 years to build an Olympic sized pool in Ireland? Would Ireland be having a national holiday getting dumped out of the soccer world cup quarter finals?

Infrastructure. I presume there would be fast and frequent rail transport from airports

:pac:
    Industry. We would be leaders of renewable energy technologies employing 10s of thousands. The size of the waves off the coast of Ireland

Average industrial wage. Double what it is today
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

At least triple the amount of parades each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Is it any wonder no one looks at Boards anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd like to be a Tiger tank commander or maybe a Stuka pilot.

Herself could be in trouble though , the old Jewish heritage wouldn't do her any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It would be hard to get used to people dressed in black telling everyone what to do.

• Advertisement

Without going into the ethical and moral issues of the Nazi regime, the perception of its efficiency and ability to have "the trains run on time" was just that. A perception.

In reality, the regime was rife with croneyism and corruption. It had to rely on slave labour to function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

The buses would run on time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You wouldn't see many travellers around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

3 words into the title and you just know this thread is going to be a Trainwreck, fair play OP, your nazi heroes would be proud of your efficiency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

So in a nutshell your saying we would be all better off if the Nazis took over, good god

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Without going into the ethical and moral issues of the Nazi regime, the perception of its efficiency and ability to have "the trains run on time" was just that. A perception.

In reality, the regime was rife with croneyism and corruption. It had to rely on slave labour to function.

No change there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There'd be one hell of an Autobahn around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Nice uniforms for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No more Man in the High Castle for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Theres thousands of young fellas going round Dublin already with the haircut to go with the uniforms.

We'd be living under a dictatorship of a foreign murder cult, whatever little of us that were left. Even if the Nazi's won the war the regime would never have survived no more than a few decades anyway. There would have been too many uprisings and rebellions. Europe is nigh on impossible to control anyway as there are so many different nations and ethnicities. It was a doomed project from the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I see the thread title has changed from Nazi to German.

So, do the points in the OP still stand?

Childcare in some parts of Germany exceeds €900 per month. Utilities cost approx. €250 per month. An apartment in Munich is €2,250+ per month.

I see the thread title has changed from Nazi to German.

About as subtle as a brick to the face. Imagine if he squeezes the calculator it makes a noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

We'd be living under a dictatorship of a foreign murder cult, whatever little of us that were left. Even if the Nazi's won the war the regime would never have survived no more than a few decades anyway. There would have been too many uprisings and rebellions. Europe is nigh on impossible to control anyway as there are so many different nations and ethnicities. It was a doomed project from the start

Shur, as long as they weren't English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

About as subtle as a brick to the face. Imagine if he squeezes the calculator it makes a noise.

Abacus, eye eye who has money for batteries,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

Fair point, None of that credit goes to the Nazis, but Germany industry and technology enterprise was second to none in that time period

Germany went from economic obliteration after world war 1 to a superpower and leaders in industry and technology in the short time preceding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Pavee point would have a awful time .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd like to be a Tiger tank commander or maybe a Stuka pilot.

Herself could be in trouble though , the old Jewish heritage wouldn't do her any good.

ILoveYourVibes is your Mrs? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quite fond of a bit of Hugo Boss aftershave, their uniforms are sweet too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66,846 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Caclick Germans or Proddy ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Cheap volkswagens for all and no VRT.
    Although they'd probably force the country to left hand drive for efficiency.

Fair point, None of that credit goes to the Nazis, but Germany industry and technology enterprise was second to none in that time period

Germany went from economic obliteration after world war 1 to a superpower and leaders in industry and technology in the short time preceding

I wouldn't go that far. I mean the German army was still using horses all the way through World War 2 when the allies had become almost completely mechanized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

We'd be living under a dictatorship of a foreign murder cult, whatever little of us that were left

There are very few countries in history that haven't lived under a dictarship of a foreign murder cult?

In fact, are there any?

• Advertisement

There are very few countries in history that haven't lived under a dictarship of a foreign murder cult?

In fact, are there any?

Look in fairness the Brits while they did commit atrocities from time to time they never put people in concentration camps and systematically murdered whole races of people

Advertisement