Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How old is too old to go clubbing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When I was 17/18 going to clubs, I always looked at people in their 30s and said how sad and pathetic they must be to be in there at that age. I don't want to be in the same situation with young folk looking at me thinking the same. I'm 35 and haven't been near a nightclub in 5+ years. I'm also married with 3 kids though.

We all thought that when we were younger.
    And the 17 and 18 year olds will indeed look at us now and think the same.

But, shouldn't we do what we enjoy, instead of what others think we should be doing?

I'm expecting to see a time when someone is organising Sunday afternoon rave sessions for the over 60's in the same way that they have showband events now so people in their 60's and 70's can enjoy the music of their youth.

Different pills at it though maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

We all thought that when we were younger.
    And the 17 and 18 year olds will indeed look at us now and think the same.

But, shouldn't we do what we enjoy, instead of what others think we should be doing?

I'm expecting to see a time when someone is organising Sunday afternoon rave sessions for the over 60's in the same way that they have showband events now so people in their 60's and 70's can enjoy the music of their youth.

Different pills at it though maybe.

Ye I think a lot of 18/19 year olds think that when they see older people in clubs.

I'm 31 now and while I don't go to clubs very often anymore (haven't since I was 23/24, always preferred pubs) I couldn't give a monkeys what anybody thinks.

Infact I might even do a little bit of David Brent dancing just to prove I'm still down with the kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,120 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

When I was 17/18 going to clubs, I always looked at people in their 30s and said how sad and pathetic they must be to be in there at that age. I don't want to be in the same situation with young folk looking at me thinking the same. I'm 35 and haven't been near a nightclub in 5+ years. I'm also married with 3 kids though.

why should i concern myself with the opinion of 17/18 year old kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If you enjoy it, then there is no upper age limit.
    Too many people care what others think about trivial things, most people don't care. Life is too short for worrying over trivial matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Aren't you too old to dance to One Direction if there are two digits in your age?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ipso wrote: »
    Aren't you too old to dance to One Direction if there are two digits in your age?

Yeah that kinda threw me a bit too, what clubs were you going to OP?

I like being 30, I can't wait to be older so I can start properly condescending to more people.

Why wait if you're so eager?

I'm a few years older, packed in the clubs by mid-twenties. Instead of wagging the finger of derision, I stick to the local. Happy out in my own space, and others can do likewise. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I guess anywhere north of 40 and you just look and feel out of place, possibly even 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

I’m 54 and would still go to nightclubs every two to three weeks. Places like House and Black Door. Great fun. Late pints, throwing shapes on the dancefloor, and a decent chance of getting the ride - what’s not to like.

probably be even better if there were a few wimmins there johnny.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you have to ask...you're too old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

if you have to ask...you're too old.

Rubber, you're too old to be trottin out cliche's like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,169 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Don't go out in a student night and youd be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Why wait if you're so eager?

I'm a few years older, packed in the clubs by mid-twenties. Instead of wagging the finger of derision, I stick to the local. Happy out in my own space, and others can do likewise. Each to their own.

Sorry I meant condescension based on age and experience, right now it's kind of hard to carry off the "aaaahh I well remember being 27 and full of foolish young dreams", even though that is where I'm at, mentally. I know everything like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any age is grand now. Sure even prince Philip goes the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Once your not the 35 year old wondering around a night club during a freshers night age doesn't really matter

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Used to wonder about this too, but anytime I'm out these days I see plenty of people in their thirties and often forties+, and I'm a long way off that, so now I figure I'll just stop going when I don't feel like it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you enjoy something and it doesn't **** over anyone else I see no reason you shouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

Once your not the 35 year old wondering around a night club during a freshers night age doesn't really matter

Alright, alright, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

If you like going to a club then go don't bother your hole on what others (esp teenagers think)

I'm 42 married 3 kids. I go out once every month or so on the lash and end up in a club/venue.
    had the eldest (17 ) with me a few times lately. good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just go to clubs that you feel comfortable in. I don't remember being out of place until I was over 50! Anyway the old man pubs are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

paw patrol wrote: »
    If you like going to a club then go don't bother your hole on what others (esp teenagers think)

I'm 42 married 3 kids. I go out once every month or so on the lash and end up in a club/venue.
    had the eldest (17 ) with me a few times lately. good times.

When I lived in the UK, I was shocked at the number of parent/child combinations that would be out on any given Saturday night. Stags/Hens, there is some reason to expect it, but this would be regular sat night excursions.

What was weird about it was the near constant attempt by the older person to have the same fashion as the younger. Lads clearly in their late 40's with tight t-shirts/jeans, gold necklace and copious amounts of hair gel. Something weird and yet fascinating about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

If you hear One Direction being played on a night out you are at a teenage disco, not a nightclub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m 30, was in da club the other night and while standing there with two g&t’s in hand in the middle of the dance floor, I had a flashback to a better time. The year is 2012 and I’m buzzing off people, having the best time ever, having chats, spoofing and just otherwise, loving life. One Direction What Makes you Beautiful playing following another Chris Brown belter. Life is good. But then I had a realization that life has moved on, felt so sad. Would do anything to go back to those days.

30 is a weird one, to me I don’t feel old but definitely feel I’m pushing on. Nobody really says to you anymore that ‘ah god sure aren’t you so young’. Drinking and going out is always a good buzz but it’s **** that can still enjoy something but just feel out of the loop. Looks like the future is a dank spot in the corner of some old man boozer. Welcome to adulthood.

You were enjoying one direction at 23?

You are never too old to do what makes you happy. So what if you are in your forties and going to clubs to pick up men or women. Or wanting to get off your face on drugs. If that's your thing then why the hell not.

The last time I was in an actual nightclub was about 3/5 years ago. Place was half empty and my friend and myself were definitely the oldest there. Apart from the bouncers who came in handy for a flirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What do people actually mean by clubs though? There aren't many in Dublin that I know of, I mean techno nights etc. I don't think going to some late bar on Wexford st is clubbing is it? I'm 39 and would be out late regularly, with other people my age and older, and younger mind. Where do people go to take yokes these days with good music?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What do people actually mean by clubs though? There aren't many in Dublin that I know of, I mean techno nights etc. I don't think going to some late bar on Wexford st is clubbing is it? I'm 39 and would be out late regularly, with other people my age and older, and younger mind. Where do people go to take yokes these days with good music?

Jam Park?

I was out at it a few weeks ago at Jeff Mill's, and I'm 39 and had a great time...

A young looking 39, okay? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I naturally grew out of it. Stood there one night hating every minute. Q for toilet. Q for bar. People pushing and falling. God no get me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fieldog wrote: »
    Jam Park?

I was out at it a few weeks ago at Jeff Mill's, and I'm 39 and had a great time...

A young looking 39, okay? :P

I had to google that - so that's what the wright place turned into? I was in that place once before it turned into its current incarnation and it was like being in an episode of Geordie Shore. All tattoos and fake tan and muscles. What kind of crowd go there now?
    I always thought of Swords as the Essex of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My married friends still go...wife in her late 30s and husband early 50s. Why not? It was never my thing but if it makes you happy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

kowloon wrote: »
    If you enjoy something and it doesn't **** over anyone else I see no reason you shouldn't do it.

Oh I like this caveat. :)

Advertisement