Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

idiots who think they own the road in their lorries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

There are trucks out there with limiters disabled but there are certainly not plenty of them, the vast, vast majority of HGV's are compliant.

And its not even because of the constant RSA checkpoints or the manufacturer software that limits the speed by regulation, its because in this industry cost is king and hauliers tend to look very, very closely at their fuel costs. Not only are most vehicles compliant regarding RSLs, a surprising number of them will be set below 90kph because of the fuel savings that can be made on longer journeys. There will always be a few cowboys on the road but they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Its irrelevant anyway. Everybody knows full well what actually happened to the old dear in the Yaris. She pulled out in front of the truck causing it to brake and then toddled along well below the speed limit, just another old dear going through life with a queue behind her.

try not to assume when you don't know, lady never got even a parking fine and so careful on the road,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

kincaid wrote: »
    i said she pulled out in good time and lorry actually increased his speed so it did not have to brake and I use to drive lorries and never once increased my speed to get up on top of others to intimidate them
    Speed is relative. If he was going at a certain speed, then saw her, so slowed down, because of her slower speed it probably seemed to her that he was speeding up because he was going faster than her (but slower than he had been).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Speed is relative. If he was going at a certain speed, then saw her, so slowed down, because of her slower speed it probably seemed to her that he was speeding up because he was going faster than her (but slower than he had been).

Exactly. Decelerating but still closing rapidly.

i said she pulled out in good time and lorry actually increased his speed so it did not have to brake and I use to drive lorries and never once increased my speed to get up on top of others to intimidate them

Except, until now, you never said that she pulled out in good time.
    You, anymore than anyone else here, have no idea whether the truck increased his speed. All you know is that the frightened, distressed woman thinks he sped up.

Also, if the truck driver was being aggressive and intimidatory, surely there would have been a lot of horn blowing - you don't mention this. Sounds like he was too busy desperately trying to stop his truck to even blow the horn.

And the weaving. Why would he do this to intimidate?

I have no doubt that this woman thinks that her version of what happened is what actually happened but I don't believe it to be the truth for one moment.

I saw similar with my ageing father and father-in-law. Both would blame other road users for their poor judgment, almost causing accidents.
    And not long before, my FIL was an excellent driver, previously - my own dad was always a bit of a liability!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

A proper cu*t this guy was and I would take the head clean off his shoulders if I had got hold of him,

No you won't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

try not to assume when you don't know, lady never got even a parking fine and so careful on the road,

Never getting a parking fine, or even a speeding ticket doesn't confer the right to drive dangerously, or recklessly which I think your aunt may have. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Acceleration on those things is pathetic - it's more likely that he didn't slow down enough because (a) he stupidly assumed the inattentive pensioner who pulled out in front of him was going to accelerate off into the distance, and (b) didn't want to brake hard, thus risking locking-up or damaging whatever goods he was carrying.
    Not only are most vehicles compliant regarding RSLs, a surprising number of them will be set below 90kph because of the fuel savings that can be made on longer journeys.

Buses are the same. The ones I drive are supposed to be restricted to 65km/h, but most of them hit the limiter at around 63. Which is great fun on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    The HGV transport industry is highly regulated, the drivers have to obey many rules, carry numerous expensive certifications and carry the burden of personal responsibility to the Gardai and courts for their companies vehicle road worthiness, their delivery and time policies and are in the main very poorly paid for what should be a lucrative career.

Many professional drivers have left the industry.

In my experience, the worst drivers on the road are those who drive for a living.

The rules of the road don't seem to apply to them, getting from A to B in the quickest time seems to take far greater priority than the safety of other road users and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just think about it like, the group of people who rely on their licence for their jobs and livelihood, the group who can least afford to pick up points on their licence, apparently those are the guys who are least likely to be following the rules of the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hang out by the red cow, inbound side of it. trucks going quite fast through there and off into the M50. They shouldn't be able to close in on me if I'm doing 100 on the motorway.

If you're doing an indicated 100km/h on your speedo you are more than likely only doing just over 90km/h and the trucks have calibrated speedos to allow them do 90km/h

My dad never got a parking ticket and thinks he's a careful driver, he's the worse driver I've been in a car with. Being careful on the road doesn't mean to go slowly either, as she's found out when she pulled out in front of a HGV and didn't accelerate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a close relation of mine in her early 70's was in her yaris
    And you lost me when you mentioned Yaris.

Provided it is safe and legal to do you should always overtake a Yaris at the first possible opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Southern cars often act arrogantly in my land too, overtaking you when you are already driving over the speed limit. I always curse them as I know northern people are always getting abused in south so they deserve it. "Who does this southerner think he is" is what usually comes out or "donegal clown" or "what's a Cork car doing here"

Lay off Cork. They have business up north too.

kingtut wrote: »
    No you won't
    at the time I would have

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you're doing an indicated 100km/h on your speedo you are more than likely only doing just over 90km/h and the trucks have calibrated speedos to allow them do 90km/h

My dad never got a parking ticket and thinks he's a careful driver, he's the worse driver I've been in a car with. Being careful on the road doesn't mean to go slowly either, as she's found out when she pulled out in front of a HGV and didn't accelerate.
    been with her many time in the car and she is careful, does not take chances, some lorry drivers think they can imtimate other road users, thats a fact, theyre just ****

Except, hardly anyone believes that this is what happened. From the information you provided, most people have come to the conclusion that your friend either didn't see the truck or else misjudged the speed/distance and pulled out in front of approaching truck forcing the driver to emergency brake, narrowly avoiding rearending your friend. It must have been quite frightening for both parties.

Also, how would the truck driver know that it was an older driver in front?
    i not worried what you believe, its called good eyesight , I was a lorry driver myself and could tell who was driving in the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Well I was flashed after overtaking a lorry (not articulated) just the other day. Don't know why he flashed me, but I pulled over onto the hard shoulder, got out & had a look round my car to see what was wrong, no idea why he flashed :confused:

The lorry shot past ......

Lorry drivers tend to flash drivers who are overtaking to let them know they are passed the their truck and it is ok to pull back in front.

Most truck drivers do this when another artic/truck is overtaking them as it would be very hard for the driver in the overtaking truck to gauge when he is passed through his mirror and it is safe to pull back in the left lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Zebra3 wrote: »
    In my experience, the worst drivers on the road are those who drive for a living.

The rules of the road don't seem to apply to them, getting from A to B in the quickest time seems to take far greater priority than the safety of other road users and pedestrians.

There are plenty of professional HGV drivers, but a few aggressive muppets too. I've heard shocking attitudes from them "The man with the load owns the road" etc. You see it driving, with HGVs bullying their way into other vehicle's paths and reacting with outrage when people stand up to them. Not to mention the amount of retards who drive straight into bridges with abundantly signposted height limits. You can even find it on Boards occasionally when professed Truck Drivers get together to tell each other they're right to use their mobiles at the wheel because of their "special training" and "Hurr Durr, respect the truck".

Couriers and taxi drivers have far lower standards, but again you will find professional ones.

So, OP, there's still no doubt in your mind about what actually happened, despite the fact that you weren't there and despite the fact that, with the same information, pretty much everyone here has come to a very different conclusion to you? No doubt, at all??

You don't think that there's a possibility that your friend pulled out infront of an oncoming truck, causing the truck to narrowly avoid rearending your pal?

she did not pull out in front of him, i said that, some people just got no respect for other road users nowadays and used to be a lorry driver and seen it all.
    Some young guys get into these big lorries and think they own the feckin road and are untouchable and got no respect for other road users and we see it all the time.Most lorry drivers are fine but some are real idiots and will get what they deserve at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

A lot of people ave no clue how to overtake a Lorry driver on a motorway. I see it day in day out. You have to begin to overtake a lorry on a motorway a good 15 - 20 car lengths away from the lorry driver in order for that driver to know you are intending to overtake them, they cant see you if you just move up to right behind them and then begin to overtake. You have to show them your intention early and then 9 times out of ten they will move over a bit to help both of you move on. Do the opposite all you are doing is giving the lorry driver a shock or else they have literally no clue you are attempting to overtake them as they cant see you in their mirror.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What exactly did he do that is illegal?

Maybe you just quoted the op without reading it, either way tailgating is a road traffic offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ruwithme wrote: »
    Maybe you just quoted the op without reading it, either way tailgating is a road traffic offence.

People get used to judging distance by seeing a bonnet in the rvm. When the lorry has no bonnet they look very close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I was the lorry driver. She did pull out in front of me. Plenty of damaged merchandise because of braking so hard.

P.S. she owes me a new pair of underpants

she did not pull out in front of him,

You weren't there. You can't possibly know this to be a fact.

As I said, everyone here has the same information that you have yet most have come to a very different conclusion as to what is most likely to have actually happened.
    But somehow, you "know" what happened.
    The mind boggles, really.

Advertisement