Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you looking forward to the anticlimax after this Celtic Tiger?

Options
  • 11-11-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

I wonder what it will be like this time.

Fellas saying €____ rent for a shoebox apartment in dublin was "not sustainable"

Fellas sh1ting on about how the government should have invested in this that and the other "while they had the money" despite them being up their eyeballs in debt all along

Leo Varadkar telling us it was all our fault for having a good time (whether we had one or not) and telling us to pay an extra 1000 a year property tax and a few more % USC if you're lucky enough to still have a job.

People who rented overpriced shoebox apartments being made into pariahs for making some greedy landlord rich who is now living it up in Lanzarote with 'our' money.

A spate of redun dun cies from big megacorps but people will continue to worship them and the government will keep letting them get away with paying 1% tax.

Sandwiches in the local shop below €4 again

Comments

Lanzarote? Hardly call that “ living it up”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I think you're paying a lot of rent and annoyed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

This is the second tiger I've missed out on, I musnt be a good apex predator

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So are you saying now's the time to sell.....quickly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've heard it's more of a "Celtic Phoenix" than a Celtic Tiger...

...and there will be an inevitable bust. Not as bad as the one in 2008-11, but a downturn nonetheless.

This country seems locked into a perpetual boom-bust cycle. Wider global economic factors are at play here, of course, but the govt could be doing much more to foster a counter-cyclical economic policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Rufeo wrote: »
    I think you're paying a lot of rent and annoyed about it.

about 200 a month. I suppose you're not completely wrong as I'd still prefer to shove it into my own pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

I am, ive footpaths to do around the house n do up the garden. I've asked around 5 lads this year n all said they were too busy or never came out to have a look!

I never experienced the Celtic tiger. I work in Dublin now in the public service. I can't afford to buy a house within 50 miles of Dublin even though I earn twice the national average wage. There is something wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

about 200 a month. I suppose you're not completely wrong as I'd still prefer to shove it into my own pocket

Is it an actual shoebox you're renting?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anybody getting stung a second time in a generation deserves all he gets.

Having survived the seventies and eighties, that last lot of austerity measures was child's play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

This tiger nonsense is only a lark hyped up the elites once a decade so we can all go mad spending money thinking we have it when we dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Weirdly enough the main thing I remember from the last recession was Constantine and that German lady on tv3 with Vincent Browne telling us how stupid we were and how we have to pay all the money back we were bailed with....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I came through the last bust relatively unscathed except workwise, was working in London and came home.
    I managed to buy a house in 2012 for a relatively small price here in Longford.
    Not caught up in anything that will affect me too much if a bust comes again either, mortgage free now and happy that I can survive another bust, but I hate the general gloom that people feel at such times.
    A lot of people are still struggling in rural Ireland especially, and the amount of small business's that closed up and haven't been replaced or reopened is chronic, if we had anything of the same magnitude as that again I dread to think what small towns and villages would look like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Fellas sh1ting on about how the government should have invested in this that and the other "while they had the money"

Space program?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Still have half me mates living on the other side of the world because of the last recession.

An awful lot of rural towns and villages around the country lost a generation that might never return.

Anyone who wishes for another recession to feel some sort of smugness or say i told you so is only a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres post office,.s shops , pubs closing in rural town,s ,
    its mainly citys where the boom is going on.
    if we go into recession will a lot of non national leave ireland.
    Most shops and hotels in ireland are staffed by non nationals, .
    Google and facebook ,intel will still be here ,
    they are global companys ,
    they do not rely on income from ireland to survive .
    The main things i remember from the crash is ghost estate,s ,
    people leaving ireland to go bankrupt,house prices falling by 60 er cent.
    Compared with the 80,s the last crash was not severe,
    any young person can get a job now, even its just in tesco or a call centre .We may be in a boom now, but there are strict limits on bank lending,
    the banks are regulated ,they are not out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

This will make you feel better i hope.

I am losing over a thousand a month in rent.

This will be my last month in Dublin.

Rufeo wrote: »
    This will make you feel better i hope.

I am losing over a thousand a month in rent.

This will be my last month in Dublin.

Delighted you'll be getting out

Anybody getting stung a second time in a generation deserves all he gets.

Having survived the seventies and eighties, that last lot of austerity measures was child's play.

What will the next round bring though? a 1000 euro annual levy for existing? Loads of debt, pension crisis looming if there is a significant increase in the length of the dole queue the government will be rightly stuffed. We can vote em out but the next crowd will be giving themselves a pat on the back for all the tough decisions they had to make within a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What will the next round bring though? a 1000 euro annual levy for existing? Loads of debt, pension crisis looming if there is a significant increase in the length of the dole queue the government will be rightly stuffed. We can vote em out but the next crowd will be giving themselves a pat on the back for all the tough decisions they had to make within a year.

Sorry, I left the crystal ball in the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement