Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masks and hearing aids

• 27-05-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭

I came across this article https://www.healthyhearing.com/report/53084-Face-masks-and-hearing-aids when I was trying to figure out how to wear a mask with hearing aids (and glasses).

Wearing a mask held by a buttoned or velcro-ed tab, or a plastic hook, at the back of the head seems like a good solution. Might be worth a try.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yep that was me on Sunday, lost hearing aid when yanked off with elastic of facemask. It was not usual one I wear that loops around back of head and neck instead of ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Yep, one of my hearing aids constantly coming off when I put mask on it take it off.
    Lost one aid in a shop and didn’t realize until I had arrived home, luckily it was still in the shop aisle when I went back to look for it.

Pita really, haven’t found anything that works well, have tried bte masks and behind the head.

I have found a small bracelet and think I will use it to fix to an ear ring like a safety chain. Someone needs to invent something! Counting my savings of lockdown as way to justify replacing hearing aid, not covered by house insurance. Not missing it for the moment as no meetings/classes etc to attend.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I have found a small bracelet and think I will use it to fix to an ear ring like a safety chain. Someone needs to invent something! Counting my savings of lockdown as way to justify replacing hearing aid, not covered by house insurance. Not missing it for the moment as no meetings/classes etc to attend.

Good idea! I was nearly crying when I lost mine, they’re so expensive to replace!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ... but I dont think it has high enough level of protection from virus transmission. A mask ideally might have two layers of tightwoven cotton with a pocket to place a filter to bring up to 90% level of cover. Might make a nice fashion item for winter months to cover up basic mask. And any cover is better than none!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Thanks for sharing and yes mask extenders are doing great job in this regard. They also look very good.

Use-mask-extension.jpg

By the way, what about the people who are using masks, hearing aid and glasses. I just found this image on the web and not sure either it is a good way or not.

tips-for-wearing-a-face-mask-and-glasses-with-hearing-aids.png

I wonder how that button is attached? I know you can have hearing aid as part of glasses. The elastic on mask could be shortened to make tighter fit.

I have replaced lost hearing aid now and despite several changes of silicone dome , it still will not stay in ear. It might have survived facemask removal if more securely fitted. I did try a safety chain linking hearing aid to earring. I see others use fishing line to so something similar, maybe clip to item of clothing or bring around to other hearing aid?

I have replaced lost hearing aid now and despite several changes of silicone dome , it still will not stay in ear.
    Two things;
    Either look at another compound for the ear mould part
    Or ask your doc about possible reasons that your ear isn't keeping the hearing aid in place.

I dont have an ear mould just a transmitter with silicone surround in ear coming from h aid at top of ear. And ear complaining about it being shoved back in so often. I am now finding latest "double dome" worse and very squealy when it comes loose.

• Advertisement

I dont have an ear mould just a transmitter with silicone surround in ear coming from h aid at top of ear. And ear complaining about it being shoved back in so often. I am now finding latest "double dome" worse and very squealy when it comes loose.
    Where did you get the hearing aid from? Would've thought most places would at least offer an ear mould; I'd say you also get better sound.

I used Specsavers. I have taken off the 'double dome' and put back a small one from previous h aid.

Good article re the difficulties of wearing a mask with hearing loss.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/20/deaf-people-mask-wearing-lipreading

Advertisement