Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redeployment question

• 12-06-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I realise that redeployment is a complex area but I wonder if anyone could advise.

If a school offers say French and Spanish or French and German and demand for one falls significantly, all things considered should the most junior teacher be the one selected for redeployment? Principals will always talk about needs of the school etc. but it would seem unfair for a more senior teacher of the same subject to be selected first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Typically the more junior would be selected, but there could be other factors at play. What other subject does that teacher have and is it needed?

Is the scenario something like the school offers French and German and typically there were two French classes and two German classes in each year in JC, and now it's swung one way so there's three French and one German, so two German teachers are no longer needed?

Again it should probably be the junior teacher that goes, but if they have a necessary subject then it might not be that straightfoward.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Thanks rainbowtrout - sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes, it is something similar to that. I'd rather not add anything that could identify the situation. It's not an issue that is arising this summer although I can see the way the wind may be blowing. I would certainly vigorously defend my 'rights' as the more senior teacher if it came to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do you teach your second subject, presuming you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

PM sent rainbowtrout. Many thanks again.

Advertisement