Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Illegal Rave in Ireland

• 03-09-2018 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Do you think that, if done in the right area, there’d be demand for an underground rave in Ireland? I don’t see a need for a night of commercial/chart, they’re in every town in the country.
    So I would plan to take the alternative route and run underground and/or oldschool events. I’m talking house, techno, trance and even genres like drum & bass and dubstep. I say illegally as I think I’m too young and inexperienced for a venue to take me and my idea on. I’m a student in LC who has no interest in going to uni currently and with music being my passion. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do your exams, go to Uni, then you'll find the raves your after, they already exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Do your exams, go to Uni, then you'll find the raves your after, they already exist.

Is that so? I would think there’s little activity outside the likes of Cork and Dublin, and mot too much within either nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is that so? I would think there’s little activity outside the likes of Cork and Dublin, and mot too much within either nowadays

‘I would think’ is a very different proposition to ‘there is in fact’.

endacl wrote: »
    ‘I would think’ is a very different proposition to ‘there is in fact’.

If that’s the case I can only conclude I’m living under a rock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

There is an underground rave sence in Ireland already. The big one happens in south Donegal on the Saturday of the sea sessions. Followed a couple of weeks later in Mayo. The cops normally show up and hassle people. Not sure if people make money out of it.

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    There is an underground rave sence in Ireland already. The big one happens in south Donegal on the Saturday of the sea sessions. Followed a couple of weeks later in Mayo. The cops normally show up and hassle people. Not sure if people make money out of it.

I’m aware that there are a couple out there; do you have names for the ones you mentioned? Are they publicised?

You'll be the first lad arrested at them if your only in LC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Plenty of raves in the East Clare hills too I'm told.
    All the Bohemian vibes up there...

Shish you don't want to turn him full hippy. A few lads have went there and never came back.

Shish you don't want to turn him full hippy. A few lads have went there and never came back.

I don’t agree with all of your above posts... but can’t disagree with this one :D

• Advertisement

I've been to some freaky hippy raves, the one here used to be called the Lion. One of the tents had a double skin so the hippy kids could crawl around it, felt like the tent was alive with all these body's moving around the skin and some freaky devil lady up front freaking us all out. Good Times!!
    Seriously go to college.

I've been to some freaky hippy raves, the one here used to be called the Lion. One of the tents had a double skin so the hippy kids could crawl around it, felt like the tent was alive with all these body's moving around the skin and some freaky devil lady up front freaking us all out. Good Times!!
    Seriously go to college.

I don’t know why I’m telling you this but I probably will be going to college
    Out of interest what part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Study event management or something if that's your only interest!

There is a pretty stong after hours scene in Dublin anyway once you know the right people, getting painfull for.me the next day at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

There used to be one in a castle near to where i grew up every few weeks. They charged 20 in and bus loads of people would attend.

I plan to do sound engineering , which would combine pretty much all of my interests (i.e. event management/DJing/music production)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

If you think about it, this is the last place you are likely to hear about an illegal rave.

If you are going to put on an illegal rave, don’t advertise it on the internet at all and don’t reveal the location to anyone but the trusted few organisers and let it out the last minute.

Aside from that, illegal raves have been going on for years in Ireland, its just the criteria I mentioned above is why you don’t hear about them, if you’re not attending, you obviously haven’t been invited and you’re not supposed to hear about them.

If you think about it, this is the last place you are likely to hear about an illegal rave.

If you are going to put on an illegal rave, don’t advertise it on the internet at all and don’t reveal the location to anyone but the trusted few organisers and let it out the last minute.

Aside from that, illegal raves have been going on for years in Ireland, its just the criteria I mentioned above is why you don’t hear about them, if you’re not attending, you obviously haven’t been invited and you’re not supposed to hear about them.

I never asked anyone for names of illegal raves. I simply asked for a general idea on whether the people thought there was a market for them
    I haven’t asked for locations etc, to post that sort of info on a public forum would be reckless, although you be surprised how many illegal raves are promoted online (no locations though, obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I never asked anyone for names of illegal raves. I simply asked for a general idea on whether the people thought there was a market for them
    I haven’t asked for locations etc, to post that sort of info on a public forum would be reckless, although you be surprised how many illegal raves are promoted online (no locations though, obviously)

Fair play lad for looking into this. But I bet the raves that happen on the West / North West Coast in the summer months nobody is making money from it.
    That day has sort of passed. You also need muscle to run these things as sometime a bit of an unsavory crowd can turn up.

Did you ever actually consider legal event management in towns / cities. Give that a go, some towns that were devastated by the recession are really coming back and a market is now there for late bars nightclubs.

6541 wrote: »
    Fair play lad for looking into this. But I bet the raves that happen on the West / North West Coast in the summer months nobody is making money from it.
    that day has sort of passed. You also need muscle to run these things as sometime a big of an unsavory crowd can turn up.

Did you ever actually consider legal event management in towns / cities. Give that a go, some towns that were devastated by the recession are really coming back and a market is now there for late bars nightclubs.

If your sole objective is financial gain from putting on a Rave, then perhaps the legal route in late bar/nightclub is the correct direction.

An illegal clandestine Rave is about the music, the emotion and thrill ride that comes with the music/setting/people and the sense of freedom of it all, that it is not constrained by licenses, closing hours etc etc etc.

It really can when it all comes together right, lift your perception and view of the world and your place in existence.

Its more than just music........

In response to the 2 most recent posts in one, I want it to be about the music, unity etc but if I could make a few quid I would
    I’d rather go legal - even though I know from having done a bit of poking around that there is a small secret party scene in the region

• Advertisement

Yay for more Unity & Music!!

Have you thought of heading to Ibiza or Berlin for the summer working after your exams. No need to be sneaking around to secret parties. The underground is well and truly above ground these days.

Yay for more Unity & Music!!

Have you thought of heading to Ibiza or Berlin for the summer working after your exams. No need to be sneaking around to secret parties. The underground is well and truly above ground these days.

’Working in Ibiza or Berlin’? I didn’t think it would have to commit to this conversation but I’m actually totally blind.

Yea go working in the pool bar at Ants

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Mon up North for a bottle a Bucky, a few wingers n some acid techno next summer, if you can find us??? You'll have some craic and because your out of jurisdiction you'll be able to let your hair down Garda pirateradiohed :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

PeteEd wrote: »
    Mon up North for a bottle a Bucky, a few wingers n some acid techno next summer, if you can find us??? You'll have some craic and because your out of jurisdiction you'll be able to let your hair down Garda pirateradiohed :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

SIs this the same crew doing all the recent forest raves up there?

On the subject of illegal raves, i recall a couple of Raves we organised up at the hellfire club, dublin mountains, Raves still be organised to this day up there,

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishPost/videos/when-youre-out-for-your-morning-walk-stumble-across-a-rave/251826875529801/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

We’ve had none in Waterford in a good while

We’ve had none in Waterford in a good while

That you know of..........:)

• Advertisement

That you know of..........:)

If you like :D

Advertisement