Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Not only is S3 confirmed, they're shooting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fake news. It was filmed 33 years ago.

Sic Mundus Creatus Est.

Fake news. It was filmed 33 years ago.

Sic Mundus Creatus Est.

Not only that, but they wrote S3 before S1. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Going by the significant date they used to release season 2 (Michael's death), I get the feeling that season 3 may be released on June 27th 2020 (the day of the "apocalypse").

Total aside here, but I was reading online about a 1980 film called The Final Countdown (Kirk Douglas) which is about a modern naval destroyer accidentally sent back in time to one day before Pearl Harbour. The film ends on a loop of sorts as it transpires that one of the naval personnel who encounter it in the 1940s, then uses his knowledge of the ship to create the company that actually designs and builds the ship in the future, thus perpetuating a time loop in which there is no real beginning or end - but with his company and ship at the centre of it. His name is Mr Tideman. I was curious if this was any influence of sorts on Dark, with the nuclear plant seemingly at the centre of it and Mrs Tiedemann a key person in the perpetual time loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

Maybe it's a nod to that indeed.
    Predestination is also a good mind bending time loop film.

Cordell wrote: »
    Maybe it's a nod to that indeed.
    Predestination is also a good mind bending time loop film.

+1
    Predestination is slow to start, but gets weirder ( and better), so its worth sticking with. Dark is tops though. Yay for long form tv.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

After watching S2 ep3.
    I'm fairly sure that Kreator's Pleasure to Kill was only released in double vinyl format in 2017!

(Excellent album nonetheless!)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭al87987

Didn't see any thread for this show.

Just finished season 2 and it was a big step up from the first season which was also pretty good.

Couple of questions to get the thread going.

Favourite character?

Where is this show going for season 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

sugarman wrote: »

404 not found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sugarman wrote: »

Not found.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watched episode one in English, is it better in German?

I suppose you get used to it , I just feel like I might miss things (from the sounds of it) by having to read subtitles. That said I’m not living the dubbed voices.. Does it add a lot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Drumpot wrote: »

I suppose you get used to it , I just feel like I might miss things (from the sounds of it) by having to read subtitles. That said I’m not living the dubbed voices.. Does it add a lot?

Yes, don't watch it with dubbed English. Go watch with subtitles German.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I did that for the lolz. Switched off when everyone called him "Miggle".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Drumpot wrote:

Oh god, don't even attempt another dubbed episode. I don't know how you even managed one; I lasted about 5 minutes. It's 100,000,000 times better in German.

al87987 wrote: »
    Couple of questions to get the thread going.

Favourite character?

Where is this show going for season 3?

Young Jonas, before he
    becomes slightly older jaded Jonas, or even older OAP 007 Bond villain Jonas

As for where it's going .......
    it appears with the introduction of a Martha from 'another world', they're going down the route of multiple realities and/or timelines. Which is an interesting concept in itself for many reasons - the show has already established that actions in the past directly affect the same timeline in the future so in terms of time travel theory it hasn't gone down the Endgame route - yet this new development seems to be at odds with that. I'm curious to see if the other realities are contained within this time loop as well (thus, new Martha's appearance was always fated to happen) or if they're totally external and thus they key to ending the perpetual loop

Just finished season 2. It's now at genius level.
    It's one part Primer, two parts 3-D chess, and 5 parts JFK assassination conspiracy.
    Yeah that's right: "It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma."

Ok, I'm off to buy Time Paradoxes for Idiots, for the Master's programme in Darkology. No doubt I'll have to watch season 1 and season 2 as prep for season 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Started season 2 last night. I'm confused, and unsettled.

And I love it.

Westworld writers should take note on how to write abstract, forebodingly withholding dialogue.

I was chatting to a colleague about this (who also watches it) and we've come to the conclusion that the writers are genius.

Not for the general storyline or complexity of it all (which are impressive enough in themselves) but for the fact that they must have mapped out the whole myriad of genealogical relationships in Winden before starting filming of S1, yet managed to keep a large number of them relatively hidden until such time as they were revealed.

On a sidenote, they've also knocked it out of the park with the casting. I've never seen a TV or film show before in which the younger and older actors playing the same characters actually look so much alike.

• Advertisement

Just posted this in another thread elsewhere: the Netflix official guide (to help navigate the maze with Wiki)-

https://dark.netflix.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Talisman

Total aside here, but I was reading online about a 1980 film called The Final Countdown (Kirk Douglas) which is about a modern naval destroyer accidentally sent back in time to one day before Pearl Harbour. The film ends on a loop of sorts as it transpires that one of the naval personnel who encounter it in the 1940s, then uses his knowledge of the ship to create the company that actually designs and builds the ship in the future, thus perpetuating a time loop in which there is no real beginning or end - but with his company and ship at the centre of it. His name is Mr Tideman. I was curious if this was any influence of sorts on Dark, with the nuclear plant seemingly at the centre of it and Mrs Tiedemann a key person in the perpetual time loop.
    I saw that movie on video years ago (1980s) - from what I remember Martin Sheen also starred in it.

My recollection of the plot:
    The ship was an aircraft carrier loaded with F-14s - during a training exercise it passed through a storm that transported it through time to the day before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour. There they encountered a yacht being attacked by Japanese fighter planes, the F-14s splashed the fighters and the people were rescued from the yacht. Onboard the yacht was a senator/congressman and his daughter/secretary. When the politician learns of the impending Japanese attack he demands they go to Pearl Harbour, instead the captain decides to deposit the rescuees on an island where they will be found. As the helicopter approaches the island the politician tries to wrestle control from the pilot resulting in a crash. The ship is pulled back through time and its designer is revealed to be the crewman who survived the helicopter crash and married the politician's female companion.

I totally forgot about the Tiedemann being the name of the designer but do remember that the dog was reunited with his wife.

Talisman wrote: »
    I saw that movie on video years ago (1980s) - from what I remember Martin Sheen also starred in it.

My recollection of the plot:
    The ship was an aircraft carrier loaded with F-14s - during a training exercise it passed through a storm that transported it through time to the day before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour. There they encountered a yacht being attacked by Japanese fighter planes, the F-14s splashed the fighters and the people were rescued from the yacht. Onboard the yacht was a senator/congressman and his daughter/secretary. When the politician learns of the impending Japanese attack he demands they go to Pearl Harbour, instead the captain decides to deposit the rescuees on an island where they will be found. As the helicopter approaches the island the politician tries to wrestle control from the pilot resulting in a crash. The ship is pulled back through time and its designer is revealed to be the crewman who survived the helicopter crash and married the politician's female companion.

I totally forgot about the Tiedemann being the name of the designer but do remember that the dog was reunited with his wife.

Could just be a coincidence, it is different spelling after all. Sounds interesting, must give it a watch some time.

Could just be a coincidence, it is different spelling after all. Sounds interesting, must give it a watch some time.
    Yes it could be a coincidence and the spelling can be explained by the Americanisation of a German surname: Tiedemann -> Tiedeman -> Tideman.

Americanised versions of European surnames are not uncommon.

e.g.
    Clement -> Clemens
    Donohoe -> Donahue
    Eisenhauer -> Eisenhower
    Hegarty -> Hargitay
    Jager -> Yeager
    Kernaghan -> Kernochan
    Van Dijk -> Van Dyke

You actually pick up more from reading the subtitles - I find it helps me concentrate.

S P O I L E R-heavy timeline for both seasons

https://www.tvguide.com/news/dark-timeline-netflix/

I just opened the link posted to the timeline and it refers to "Teen Noah and another man" in the opening scene of season 2. Am I alone in thinking that the man is
    adult Bartosz Tiedemann
    ? I see an uncanny resemblance between the two actors.

Talisman wrote: »
    I just opened the link posted to the timeline and it refers to "Teen Noah and another man" in the opening scene of season 2. Am I alone in thinking that the man is
    adult Bartosz Tiedemann
    ? I see an uncanny resemblance between the two actors.

You remember what the the other fella looks like? That's Rain Man capability.

Now I wish I hadn't read your spoiler coz I was blissfully ignorant.:o:p
    Curiouser and curiouser.

S P O I L E R-heavy timeline for both seasons

https://www.tvguide.com/news/dark-timeline-netflix/

Well that's my Thurs night wiped out :D

• Advertisement

Ha, spotted what may be a super subtle Back to the Future nod in episode two; when
    in the 1950s scene while older Regina(?) digs the hole to bury the time machine, there are two lone pine trees sitting in shot. A callback to the Twin (later, One) Pine Mall from the 1980s film perhaps?
    :D

Advertisement